Dim Xenon Headlights

JWvrs25

I have Factory Xenons on my fabia however they don't seem to be particularly bright. Ive fitted new osram CBI D2S bulbs which improved things slightly however im still not entirely satisfied. They are bright enough although no brighter than other cars halogens. I had projectors and cheap HIDs retrofitted in my old fabia and they were much better than these factory ones. I have restored the lenses they are as clear as new. I have set the beam pattern up as good as I can and they shine almost level when i drive alongside a wall which is about right i think. 

Is it a case of splitting them apart and cleaning out the projectors??

Ah right thats a bit of a pain. Do you know of any decent projectors i can buy to retrofit in the standard headlights. I will try and get a set from the local scrapyard and then fit the projectors. I take it the self levelling will still work with the non xenon type headlamps?

You retrofit them don't you? Which projectors do you use is it just the mini ones off ebay? I fitted those in my previous fabia but they had a wonky beam pattern for some reason. not bothered about them looking like the standard xenons tbh the retrofits look fine

I don't think that matters considering the self levelling is done by the car. I could fit standard halogen headlights and provided the motors are in the lights they should self level.

My factory xenons wear also giving poor light output. The projector is removable from the back of the headlight so there is no need to split them. On dismantling and inspection, the reflector and lens were in perfect condition it was the additional glass lens that sits in front of the protector was all dirty, a quick clean and reassembly and now they are great. I to was ready to replace the projectors but there was no need :-)  + they are a funny size 2 inch I think all the aftermarket ones seem to be 3" or 2.5".

Thanks for that, will give it a try. Can you get to the glass lens by removing the bowl from the back of the lights or was splitting the headlight required for that?

Tbh I'm probably best splitting them anyway as want to get the surrounds painted and the insides of the lenses cleaned out, but would be helpful to try cleaning before I decide to dismantle

Edited by clarendon462

16 hours ago, dozer123456 said:

My factory xenons wear also giving poor light output. The projector is removable from the back of the headlight so there is no need to split them. On dismantling and inspection, the reflector and lens were in perfect condition it was the additional glass lens that sits in front of the protector was all dirty, a quick clean and reassembly and now they are great. I to was ready to replace the projectors but there was no need :-)  + they are a funny size 2 inch I think all the aftermarket ones seem to be 3" or 2.5".

At a guess, you have to remove the headlights from the car first?

J.

Just had one of the headlights off and managed to remove the projector from the rear. It was really dirty on both sides of the inner and outer glass lenses. The reflector bowl was also dirty and burnt out on the top part. 

Not going to mess about with them now I know they are no good. 

Just thought I'd update with what I've done regarding the headlights; bought a set of halogen headlights from a breakers for £30 which were in need of some serious refurb on the lenses.

Got them cleaned up nicely with some wet sanding and then rotary polisher with different compounds.

Painted the inserts black and fitted the Mini H1 Projectors into the fittings and wired up the shutter so the bi-xenon effect works on high beam.

Results are REALLY impressive, like night and day vs the old projectors.

Beam is bright and even with a nice sharp cut off and the high beam is fantastic and lights everything up like its daytime.

Will try get some night pics but here are a few of the finished article

IMG_2239.JPG

IMG_2245.JPG

Edited by clarendon462
  • Like 3

• 6 years later...