17 inch Audi A4 Alloys on Superb I

Bridgerectifier

Hi guys, I am after some advice from someone with some experience in wheels and tyres. I have a 2004 Superb I, 1.9TDI 130. I love the car but the alloy wheels are corroded and the rims leak out meaning I am having top them up every couple of weeks. It is inconvenient and presumably dangerous. I considered having them refurbished and then the opportunity to get some newer ones at a good price came along. I got them yesterday and now that I have seen them properly I’m not sure I should use them.

My current wheels are 16 inch five spoke standard-looking wheels for that year. Not sure exactly what they are. See my pictures, attached. The new ones are Audi 17 inch wheels from an A4 B8 (2008). The part number on the back is 8K0 601 025 B. My old tyres are 205/55R16. New ones are 225/50R17 (Winter). So the width is greater, and the overall diameter of the wheel and tyre is greater. The centre bore is 66.5mm but my old ones are 57.1 so I have ordered some spigot rings. I took a picture of them side by side. There is a difference but it’s not too much.

I cleaned them and inspected them last night. The tyres are better than my old tyres and have more tread. The wheels are in better condition too, no corrosion and just a little kerb damage on two. I fitted one to the front passenger side to look at how it fits. I took a picture of it with the old one on the back to compare. It looks good, but more importantly it will probably hold the pressure better.

I intend to put all four on this weekend when the spigot rings arrive. Then I will check them for clearance, lock to lock etc, and give it a test drive.

Reading a few forums put a few doubts in my mind though. The wheels and tyres will be heavier than the old ones. Will this put my engine under excessive load? The car is is going to turn 140k miles this week and I don’t want this to kill it off. Also I read that you should declare it to your insurance. Will this increase my premium? Does everyone declare it? I certainly didn’t declare my old wheels when I bought the car. Issues with the speedo I can understand but I understand it will work to my safety.

It is an old car, I only need to run it another 12 months and I just want to improve my tyre pressures. Do you think I’m doing the right thing?

Thanks,

Mike

Offcar.jpg

Oncar.jpg

Well, thanks to the advice of someone else on here (whose name I have forgotten sorry) I have looked at this very useful website willitfit.com and it looks promising: http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=205&aspect=55&diameter=16&wheelwidth=7&offset=45&width2=225&aspect2=50&wheel_size=17&wheel_width=7-5&offset2=45 

Will definitely try them on at the weekend.

I've fitted them and they seem fine. The wheels / tyres fit the arches fine, driving seems the same (although one wheel needs balancing). The main thing is that the tyres and the rims are in much better condition and I can just tell they're going to hold their pressure better.

I've put the old wheels (3U0601025A) and tyres on eBay. If anyone wants them, have a look, just search by 202026712589.

If you mention Briskoda I'll knock a bit off B)