ASR warning light coming on

GlueX

ASR light is coming on with a ping after some time of driving.  It happened twice today exactly when I reached my destination.  It also happened another time but there was a loss of engine power.  Any ideas what might be happening?

20170816_182936.jpg

You don't say what year the car is, if and older car it could be one of the ABS sensors failing or corrosion of the ABS pick-up ring that they monitor.

It is a 2011 1.2tsi.

I noticed that it lights up when left idle for a few minutes with handbrake on.  I don't know if there is a link.  If i switch the engine off the light goes off upon restarting.

Mechanic opens next Monday therefore cannot link it up till then.

Update..... connected to computer and it showed that the ASR switch is faulty!!!!  Fault was cleared too.  Hopefully the issue will be settled with a new switch.

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

On 24/08/2017 at 12:43, GlueX said:

Update..... connected to computer and it showed that the ASR switch is faulty!!!!  Fault was cleared too.  Hopefully the issue will be settled with a new switch.

I have this. Massive power loss when the ASR warning light comes on.    What do you mean by "ASR switch" ?   

TC / ASR cuts power to engines as well as nipping brakes with systems that work.

You have a faulty system it seems and cutting power,   that is the ABS / TC (ASR) fault likely, the switch as being described here.

so that is not an engine fault, the engine is doing what it is told to..

Edited by Offski

It was not the switch on mine.  To be honest I still don't know what the problem was.  Took the car to an electrician and it was solved. When I asked I was not given a specific answer.  It just cost me 40 euros. 

• Like 1

Apologies,  I said ASR  but the error that appears is  "FAULT: ESP"

On the dash, both the ASR and the tyres (with exclamation point in the middle)  warning symbols say lit up.

Does the above still apply?  

Edited by spyshagg

6 minutes ago, spyshagg said:

Could you guys help me on this one?  

It would perhaps help if we knew whereabouts in the world you are.

13 minutes ago, langers2k said:

Have you had the car scanned using VCDS or similar yet?

Yes I went to the skoda dealership.     I didn't ask which was the fault code, but they told me the repair was over 2000€ because it needed a new ABS control unit.

J104 is not an error code, it's the designation given to the ABS control module.

You gave 1K0 907 379 AH/1K0 614 517 AS as the ABS control module and pump part numbers. That's a MK60EC1 system which typically are very reliable.

I'd still be tempted to get the actual error codes before replacing the ABS control module and pump...

3 minutes ago, langers2k said:

J104 is not an error code, it's the designation given to the ABS control module.

You gave 1K0 907 379 AH/1K0 614 517 AS as the ABS control module and pump part numbers. That's a MK60EC1 system which typically are very reliable.

I'd still be tempted to get the actual error codes before replacing the ABS control module and pump...

The dealership is quite far away, so I will try to download the VCDS software to get the code. 

thanks for the help

1 hour ago, spyshagg said:

The dealership is quite far away, so I will try to download the VCDS software to get the code. 

Do you have a genuine VCDS adapter to use that software with?

1 hour ago, Urrell said:

Do you have a genuine VCDS adapter to use that software with?

I have an OBD2 cable I used in my old fiat stilo.   I already downloaded the software, I guess It doesn't hurt to try.   

Edited by spyshagg