Mitt or Clay bar for a newbie to this lark

The Zee

Hi all,

My Superb needs a bit of a spruce up. it's not bad but I am aware it could be better. Three centuries ago I would have been on my hands and knees all day but as the old knees creak and I am not about to win any concourses any more, what would you suggest? Time isn't the issue, it's the prolonged effort I would like to minimise but still get a good result.

many thanks, Andy

couple of choices here.

Bilt hamber - Clay soft or medium they're 200g I would start with soft and work up to medium if required for the size they're fairly cheap and good quality no need for a detailer or lube they work very well with water( just put it in a spray bottle)

G3 clay mitt is also a good choice as it covers a large area quickly and the backing holds water keeping it wet   - however be mindful, if this is dropped or you get anything In/on it - it has to then go in the bin ...where as with a clay bar you can just cut another bit off and carry on.

G3 Clay mitt is quick and easy to use. For a first time claying I would highly recommend it. Don't bother with the detailer spray just use a clean bucket soapy water with a little extra soap. 

Britemax Clay is my preferred choice, I've never got on with the Bilt Hamber clay.

Having said that I wouldn't recommend claying a car if you aren't going to follow it up with an element of machine polishing.

cheers

Chris

Firstly let me make it clear I am not a “detailer”. It conjures up the notions of cotton buds in every nook and cranny and I am sorry that is not me. It may have been a couple of decades ago but not now.

What I did need was to give the car a really good clean. My car often sits in a station car park which is also shared by a heritage train line with old thumping diesel locos and steam trains hence you did not need to feel for contaminates – you could see them. I decided against using a clay bar as my old fingers would probably give out, so I needed something easier. Thanks to the advice on here I thought I would give a clay mitt a go. So I purchased a Farecla G3 mitt and also a bottle of detailer stray. What the heck, nine quid for the spray when a bit of soapy water would probably be just as good but as it was the first time in five years I thought the “old bus” was worth a bit of T.L.C.

I didn’t really expect anything revolutionary, the world wasn’t going to move, I was amazed. What a difference and so easy to use. I was able to mitt the whole car in just over an hour. Then hose it down, dry it off, polish and wax it and still have time to get the the pub for an early evening drink.

In my opinion for those who just want a really good finish these mitts are damn good. I may not win concourses but it looks better than the day I picked it up new five years ago.

Thanks to all on here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 17/08/2017 at 12:50, Gissin said:

couple of choices here.

Bilt hamber - Clay soft or medium they're 200g I would start with soft and work up to medium if required for the size they're fairly cheap and good quality no need for a detailer or lube they work very well with water( just put it in a spray bottle)

G3 clay mitt is also a good choice as it covers a large area quickly and the backing holds water keeping it wet   - however be mindful, if this is dropped or you get anything In/on it - it has to then go in the bin ...where as with a clay bar you can just cut another bit off and carry on.

I'm sorry. That is incorrect. 

If you drop a clay bar it goes in the bin. 

A clay mitt, just a good rinse and agitation running your hand back and forth over the area gently to dislodge any possible debris, rinse with clean water under a hose and you can reuse. 

1 hour ago, Svend said:

I'm sorry. That is incorrect. 

If you drop a clay bar it goes in the bin. 

A clay mitt, just a good rinse and agitation running your hand back and forth over the area gently to dislodge any possible debris, rinse with clean water under a hose and you can reuse. 

....that's what I said. if you drop a clay bar you put the bit you've dropped in the bin and cut a new bit off.

feel free to use a dropped clay mitt , however I would advise you don't, whilst you might think you have all the crap off it, I can assure you, you wont have. Using a g3 mitt that has been dropped on the floor will lead only to one conclusion tiny scratches in your paint, under a decent work lamp they will be visible, this is based from the advice from auto tec in sandiacre who got a g3 mitt dropped it a few times, cleaned it in water and soap and then got it under a microscope and you could clearly still see sharp particles embedded in the mitt.

use a dropped clay mitt, but in a few years expect to be machine polishing it with a medium abrasive.

just my 2 cents

1 hour ago, Gissin said:

....that's what I said. if you drop a clay bar you put the bit you've dropped in the bin and cut a new bit off.

feel free to use a dropped clay mitt , however I would advise you don't, whilst you might think you have all the crap off it, I can assure you, you wont have. Using a g3 mitt that has been dropped on the floor will lead only to one conclusion tiny scratches in your paint, under a decent work lamp they will be visible, this is based from the advice from auto tec in sandiacre who got a g3 mitt dropped it a few times, cleaned it in water and soap and then got it under a microscope and you could clearly still see sharp particles embedded in the mitt.

use a dropped clay mitt, but in a few years expect to be machine polishing it with a medium abrasive.

just my 2 cents

While much or that is true if you don't adequately clean the surface of the clay mitt/towel/block, etc...it has been one of the key reasons for using the clay mitt/towel/block since Rav at CarPro in Cyprus  released the Polyshave Block some six years ago (they did not create the media but they did bring it to many more people's attention here in the U.K. And further affield on Detailing World). 

As the mitt/towel/block doesn't lift contaminants away from the surface like a clay bar does. The clay bar draws it away into the clay while the mitt/towel/block uses a textured rubber layer to draw the contaminants depositing into the recesses to be dislodged into the rinse bucket with gritguard. 

But it's certainly not the case of buying a £6 to £20+ clay mitt/towel/block that if it's dropped it is to be thrown away. 

I'm sorry. Just my two pence worth. 

It is true that unlike clay bar it is usually best the break the mitt/towel/block in on the car's glass to prevent any micromarring of the paintwork in the early days of use.