Bike transportation

kilted

Just wondering if anyone had any experience of what the best route is for this.

Not keen on roof bars given the height of the car (SWMBO is short so no chance of her managing on a normal car never mind a Kodiaq), tow ball was not an option as £600 for 3 years seems a bit steep (on PCH).

Have had experience of tailgate mounted systems in the past but some of them buckled the boot lips slightly trying to get them tight enough to be sturdy

I reckon I could get 2 bikes in the back (laid flat with wheels off) with room for luggage but SWMBO isn't sure.

Having been through similar many times, when I replace our Yeti with a Kodiaq, I am going to learn from experience and pay the extra for a tow bar. 

I've just fitted a towbar but I don't use it for bikes, im into MTB and the huge boot was why I bought the car. I can get in 2 bikes without taking any wheels off, and at least 4 with taking just the front wheels off. I've also done 3 bikes and 3 adults (ie with one back seat up) with plenty of room to spare. I think even 4 bikes and 4 people is conceivable with all wheels off.

No faffing around with attachments and no worry about securing everything properly, no effect on the MPG or driving style. 

Edited by Dr_Pepper

On 18/08/2017 at 19:14, Dr_Pepper said:

I've just fitted a towbar but I don't use it for bikes, im into MTB and the huge boot was why I bought the car. I can get in 2 bikes without taking any wheels off, and at least 4 with taking just the front wheels off. I've also done 3 bikes and 3 adults (ie with one back seat up) with plenty of room to spare. I think even 4 bikes and 4 people is conceivable with all wheels off.

No faffing around with attachments and no worry about securing everything properly, no effect on the MPG or driving style. 

Think I will go this way. One of the bikes is a full sus, the other is a hybrid

Not tried with the wheels on yet (never had a car that was even close to taking bikes with wheels on before but it sounds like it is more than possible with the Kodiaq.  Sounds like it should be possible to do 2 bikes + luggage (for a week) pretty easily.

Edited by kilted

• 2 years later...

This is the type of post I’ve been looking for! I don’t have a Kodiaq yet so was wondering if anyone could answer the following. I have two Mountain Bikes (one with 26 and one with 29 wheels, both medium frames). Does anyone know if they would (with the wheels removed) fit in the boot of a Kodiaq with the rear seats left up? The reason I ask is so that if I stayed in a hotel etc on a weekend away I would like to be able to store them in the boot with the parcel shelf in place so that they are not on show. I have wheel bags so can always take them in the hotel with me so it’s basically just the frames left in the boot. 

On 10/08/2020 at 09:05, Bellagio1066 said:

This is the type of post I’ve been looking for! I don’t have a Kodiaq yet so was wondering if anyone could answer the following. I have two Mountain Bikes (one with 26 and one with 29 wheels, both medium frames). Does anyone know if they would (with the wheels removed) fit in the boot of a Kodiaq with the rear seats left up? The reason I ask is so that if I stayed in a hotel etc on a weekend away I would like to be able to store them in the boot with the parcel shelf in place so that they are not on show. I have wheel bags so can always take them in the hotel with me so it’s basically just the frames left in the boot. 

I can put my XL 29” HT in the boot of my 5 seat Kodiaq. Without the wheels on of course.

• Thanks 1

I've still got 2 MTB bikes in the back of mine (lazy) after going to a trail on Sunday. They easily fit in with the front wheel off, in fact we took the back wheels off on the way there but realised that wasn't really needed. Plenty of space for your bikes and all the equipment you need, i reckon you could probably even fit 3 bikes in there. Best to put something between the bikes, if you have expensive ones, so they dont scratch or anything. Obviously this was done with both the back row seats down.

• Thanks 1

On 21/08/2017 at 09:20, bigboss said:

I recently bought Bosal Traveller 3 compact cycle carrier, used it for the first time yesterday. It's a bit heavy (as expected) and the quality is very very good. 

1yx86kM.jpg

Ga0gmkx.jpg

HI, I got a similiar 3 bike carrier from brand - Fischer. The user manual mentions not to exceed 120 km/hr. Does your bike carrier come with any speed restrictions?