Fog light fuses mk 1

Frenchtone

Ok mr stupid here, been looking at the manual at home, forgot to put it back in the car , consequently clueless, coming back to accommodation last night, encountered fog, tried to use fog lights, rears came on but not the fronts, so what no. fuse, and is it in the end board or under the bonnet?  --  this seems to be a sensible start point, but if not, when I get back home i'll give it a scan to hopefully locate the prob  if not a fuse! Any sensible suggestions anyone!

Come my friend, course I do, how do you think the rears were working, them being the 2nd stage of pulling operation!?

Edited by Frenchtone
  • Like 2

Fog fuse not shown but I suspect it's these.
11 Left side cornering lights
12 Right side cornering lights
In the door jamb not under the bonnet.

Bulb failure should put a warning on the DIS, no?  Then again, so should a fuse failure that leads to lighting failure (it did when a fuse went on mine that put the rear foglight out of action).

I think I looked at this the other day, and I think the front fog lights are driven directly from the BCM, possibly by power FETs with built in overcurrent protection, so maybe no dedicated fuses? 

Edited by Wino

18 minutes ago, Frenchtone said:

could it be a relay somewhere

It could. That would be the alternative to FETs, so inside the BCM probably, and not at all easy to replace if so.  Not shown as a relay on the current flow diags though, as far as I've seen.  An audible click from under the dash when switching them on would be the clue to that being the case, iff it's working.

36 minutes ago, Frenchtone said:

how does the switch come out before I start pulling , twisting, cursing etc

From the manual.
-------------------
Switch off the ignition and all electrical components.
Turn the turning handle of the light switch to position „0“.
Press in the turning handle of the light switch and firmly slightly turn it to the right
Hold the turning handle in this position and pull the light switch towards you.
Disconnect plug connection at switch.
----------------
Hope this helps.

Thanks for that,and Ok, done, then took off the switch face and squirted some switch cleaner in the rear of the switch,still no good, get the rear light indicator illuminated in the dash display but no activity at the light, however when a trailer board is connected the rear fogs are on so that would indicate a fault on the loom to the rear I would assume.

Need to get my vcds thingy back and scan the system now!

On the rear I would take the lamp assembly out and check for voltage at the lamp connections.
Do you get dash indication for the front and rear fogs?

• 1 month later...

Ok now to revive this topic, now got back my micro can dongle, used it to scan the system and it get just 2 malfunctions    

can gateway

door rear left 

both malfunction 0010

how or where would I find the section covering fog lights?

BUMP!!

Ok, anyone got a wiring diagram of the light switch or wire colours so I can id then and try coupling bpower in to dash switch to frony fogs  as it will be easier than id'ing em on the car by linking etc!

1 hour ago, Frenchtone said:

Ok, anyone got a wiring diagram of the light switch or wire colours so I can id then and try coupling bpower in to dash switch to frony fogs

Looks like front fogs are yellow/white and rear fogs grey/white at the switch.

Ok out yesterday, public hol here, have now got a situation where none of the lights respond to the switch functions, however they come on when ignition switch turned, the dip/main beam works on the steering arm along with flash, the indicator led on the switch is not working either although on panel lights the indication around the switch works. Another problem appears to be on the obd port, that doesn't work although the laptop detects the plug it will not communicate with the system of the car, have looked/checked all fuses all are /were ok is this a canbus problem, are there solutions  if so apart from a new unit what are they? If its a new unit does it contain the engine management systems or is that separate?

Any suggestions out there?

Find some with VCDS and see if they can communicate with the car.

If they can't, check the CAN gateway has power/ground and the wiring between it and the OBD port. Hopefully at this point you'll get comms with the car. If not, the CAN gateway might be bad and need replacing.

Once the CAN gateway is communicating, do a full autoscan and post it :)

ok, so micro can isn't vcds? , the canbus location --  is it behind the dash panel at the bottom drivers side?, and is it like a big flattened sausage in shape.

my big prob is that here in france 'fiddling 'is frowned on so prob necessary to visit a 'stealer' for trial etc