Faint petrol smell in engine bay

1 hour ago, jimbojames said:

Got the same problem on my car, but the dealers are quoting £680 to replace the pump (car is 5yrs old) There must be a seal or something under that thread to replace? Has anyone taken the sensor out at all? Workshop manual doesn't mention a seal... 

Wow not cheap! Is that with some goodwill too?

Edited by ahenners

On 08/10/2018 at 17:28, jimbojames said:

Got the same problem on my car, but the dealers are quoting £680 to replace the pump (car is 5yrs old) There must be a seal or something under that thread to replace? Has anyone taken the sensor out at all? Workshop manual doesn't mention a seal... 

I had this problem with my car recently.

The sensor nut was tight so I loosened it off and let a burst of air escape and then re tightened it and all has been well since.

No more petrol smells.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, VRjest said:

I had this problem with my car recently.

The sensor nut was tight so I loosened it off and let a burst of air escape and then re tightened it and all has been well since.

No more petrol smells.

Thanks, will give this a go. How much did you undo it and re-tighten? 

4 minutes ago, ahenners said:

Thanks, will give this a go. How much did you undo it and re-tighten? 

Literally just a crack to break the seal. you will hear a whoosh of air. It was on bloody tight though.

Then just nip it up again.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

My car is booked in to have the high pressure fuel pump replaced (out of warranty - November 2013 car) this Tuesday.

First time I could smell the faint odour of petrol was back in Autumn when having front tyres replaced. Didn't explore further or take it to the dealers then. Car has had a couple of visits to Skoda since then (MOT and front brake pads) but I didn't mention the smell to them and they didn't report anything out of the ordinary.

Then last Saturday I had ATS replace the rear tyres and the manager came back to the waiting room and said they could smell petrol from the front nearside wheel arch. I phoned my local dealer on the spot and booked in for an diagnostic check.

The outcome is there is a leak that looks identical to yours and apparently the only option is pump replacement. Our air engineers would always go for an O-seal replacement on a component like this. Maybe the ones VAG use are just not designed that way; In-built obsolescence!? The dealer have quoted £385 Inc VAT for the pump and fitting (and to include the diagnostic time fee). I'll take a photo to add here, hopefully may help others trying to diagnose the elusive petrol smell.

54 minutes ago, Pilotguy said:

Maybe the ones VAG use are just not designed that way; In-built obsolescence!?

VAG, indeed most car manufacturers, try to replace complete "modules" they don't actually repair most things any longer.

• Like 1

The dark staining on the pump is from petrol leaking and being cooked off by heat from the engine!!! The pump's hidden under the plastic engine cover so you won't see it unless you go looking for it. If you've got an early MK3 vRS petrol I'd recommend having a look. The cover just pulls off, no tools required.