Rev limit in neutral

Siemasz

Hello. 

I can't rev past ~3700rpm. While driving in gear it reaches 4500-5000 (I think even more).

In my country (Lithuania) all cars have to pass exhaust gas test.

Technical inspection worker had checked the catalog and said that Fabia MK1 must rev in ~3900-5000rpm for checking exhaust gas.

Is here a rpm limiter in neutral on Fabia? On maybe some car system doesn't allow to rev over 3700rpm?

Ps. Engine is 1.9tdi 74kw

Edited by Siemasz

Well, I think that all VW Group cars with "drive by wire" throttles are limited like that - so your Tech Insp guy needs to get that sorted out in his head - or there is an official work around when testing, like the emissions game?

Hi I have a Mk6 Golf tdi and that will rev to about 2.8 to 3k max while on the drive in neutral, it won't go past this but like you say, out on a drive it will rev all the way round.

Edited by FlipFlops

Sorry I should have said that I'd expect that all modern cars will have drive by wire throttle control, and that it is because of this that things like limiting the engine max revs when the car is stationary are possible to include, so any engine checks that are required by local laws, should have a work around available to the test station guy.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've never come across a Mk1 Fabia 1.9TDI that as standard has an 3700 RPM limiter when stationary, they just rev until they hit the max allowed RPM.  

• Like 1

There can not be many better places to find owners of the vehicle being discussed who can try their vehicle next time they are in it to see how high they can rev it when stationery and in neutral.

Then post the results, 'what the worst that can happen?'