Roof rattle ?

Hi all, I have just been for a drive in a 6 month old demo sportline, the roof had a bad rattle (was a saloon with sunroof) is this a common issue with a known fix ?

Apparently The rear offside door also had one, that went away when the wife pressed on it, but I didn't notice that because of the roof one was distracting me !

Edited by Mr Grump

10 hours ago, Mr Grump said:

Hi all, I have just been for a drive in a 6 month old demo sportline, the roof had a bad rattle (was a saloon with sunroof) is this a common issue with a known fix ?

Apparently The rear offside door also had one, that went away when the wife pressed on it, but I didn't notice that because of the roof one was distracting me !

I have the hatchback with a sunroof but there's no noise from that source.

I had a rattle, or more accurately the sound of an angry bee, that would manifest in the rear offside door that stopped if you put your finger on the top plastic. It only occurred when the weather was warm and I suspected the built-in sun blind. I asked them to have a look at it when it had the second service but they couldn't recreate it. They did however remove the door panel to take a look but couldn't see anything obvious. Since then there's been no more buzzing rattle!

Edited by BillyJim
  • Thanks 1

I have a rattle that comes from the box that houses the sunroof and light switches. It started when I drove on some particularly bumpy farm tracks. It only rattles on harsh roads, not the motorway. I'll ask the dealer if they can unseat the box and reseat it when I take it in for its annual service in October.

• Thanks 1

Correct not isolated. Same issue on mine. 

Im assuming this sunroof is a standard VAG item thus this issue would occur on all VAG brands with said sunroof or the fit and finish on the superb is below par.

What is the fix for the notorious creaking sunroof?

• Thanks 1

Look out for the centre armrest console creak. Mine sounds like it has the build quality of a 1980s Amstrad Hi Fi. My seat belt clips push against the console thus the lovely click and creaking around every corner.

Maybe its due to my sports seats being wider and causing the problem. Anyhow i will get the dealer to rip the console out and refit using more than just blue tac next week.

Good luck. As someone has accuratly mentioned on this site before its a bit of a lottery.

Well back from a good look and drive, a little noise at certain revs on the drivers door, but dealer will sort that, and a bit of kerbing on one alloy, again dealer will sort.

Hopefully the S3 will be good to me (crosses fingers) :sweat:

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi. I live in Australia and have a 2017 Superb Sportline. Initially it had clunks from the sunroof on body flex as well as a range of creaks and clicks mostly associated with flex but also evident with potholes in the road.

No conventional lubrication solutions had any benefit.

The dealer conceded there was a problem and identified it as the sunroof frame and ordered a new one - 5 weeks to deliver from Europe.

Dealer installed over 5 days during which they gave me a Fabia as a loaner. Sunroof removed and replaced including original sunroof surround glass being cut out and replaced. 

On return the clunks had gone but creaks and groans and clicks from overhead remained. As well the new sunroof blind fabric started to concertina when opened, as had the original sunroof screen.

I experimented a bit with no benefit. Then I decided to unhinge the rear edge of the roof lining from the rear edge of the sunroof. Just pull it forward. I remains rigid but no longer presses on the screen blind during opening. Sunblind no longer concertinas  but more importantly -all noises gone. No creaks or groans or clicks. No noises on body flex. No issues at all. Hope this helps some people. BW Al C

2 hours ago, alcoop said:

Hi. I live in Australia and have a 2017 Superb Sportline. Initially it had clunks from the sunroof on body flex as well as a range of creaks and clicks mostly associated with flex but also evident with potholes in the road.

No conventional lubrication solutions had any benefit.

The dealer conceded there was a problem and identified it as the sunroof frame and ordered a new one - 5 weeks to deliver from Europe.

Dealer installed over 5 days during which they gave me a Fabia as a loaner. Sunroof removed and replaced including original sunroof surround glass being cut out and replaced. 

On return the clunks had gone but creaks and groans and clicks from overhead remained. As well the new sunroof blind fabric started to concertina when opened, as had the original sunroof screen.

I experimented a bit with no benefit. Then I decided to unhinge the rear edge of the roof lining from the rear edge of the sunroof. Just pull it forward. I remains rigid but no longer presses on the screen blind during opening. Sunblind no longer concertinas  but more importantly -all noises gone. No creaks or groans or clicks. No noises on body flex. No issues at all. Hope this helps some people. BW Al C

I have exactly the same issue. What dealer in Oz did you go to. My dealer on the Gold Coast doesn’t seem to give a s#$t. How did you manage to unhinge the rood lining? Might have to try the same thing to fix the creaks and the concertina blind in mine.

Re Unhinging the rear edge of the roof liner from the sunroof frame.  Feel for the lip at the top of the liner and give a quick jerk. It just separates it from the frame but that is all. The liner is quite rigid so it does not drop.

On 3/29/2018 at 11:47, alcoop said:

Re Unhinging the rear edge of the roof liner from the sunroof frame.  Feel for the lip at the top of the liner and give a quick jerk. It just separates it from the frame but that is all. The liner is quite rigid so it does not drop.

After a year of listen to the dreaded creaking and groaning of the sunroof in my sedan, I can honestly say the problem has now been solved. From day one I have put up with these noises which have driven me to the brink of starting to hate my Superb. After two different dealers looked at the vehicle, both saying that can’t find a problem, it has come down to a fellow Aussie Superb owner (Alcoop) who found the fix even after his dealer replaced the entire sunroof, frame and all associated components - with zero success.

Following Alcoop’s instructions, I sat in the rear seat and reached up running my hand across the back of the roof lining which lines up flush with the sunroof framework. Giving a sharp pull down on the roof lining on each corner, the roof lining will unclip from the sunroof frame. Because the roof lining is a one piece moulded unit, the roof lining will not sag down. You will end up with the roof lining edge now slightly below the sunroof frame across the back edge of the sunroof. See photo.

The roof of the vehicle will still flex when the car is in motion due to the big hole in the middle of the roof (sunroof) but now the roof lining won’t flex with it. The moulded roof lining is the cause of all the noises. When attached to the sunroof frame, the lining twists and flexes along with the roof creating the noises we are all experiencing.

In addition to the noises, both Alcoops and I suffered from the sunblind gathering up when opening the blind, once the roof lining was released from the framework, this also released the pressure that was being placed on the sunblind cassette and now the sunblind retracts effortlessly without any form of gathering up. This was a pleasant surprise as I have been suffering with this problem since day one as well.

Bottom line, it’s all down to the roof lining fixing points at the back of the sunroof flexing with the roof/sunroof and creating the noises. Once released, all noises etc disappear.

It astounds me that the dealers and Skoda themselves can’t figure this out and just fob off the customer because we complain about something that is not correct. In this case it comes down to owners of the vehicle to find the cause and create a simple fix. Skoda need to have a look at the way the roof lining is designed in sedans that have the sunroof and modify the design to eliminate this problem. At the very least, they need to issue a technical bulletin to the dealers to apply this simple fix that a lot of owners have complained about across the globe.

As you can see in the photos, you wouldn’t even know if the lining had been detached from the roof. I am now falling back in love with my Superb.

Now if I can just fix the squeaks coming from the cup holder in the centre console (the dealers said that they all do it…I call Bulls%*t) I will be a very happy boy...any suggestions??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Some Superbs do require sunroof frame replacement as well as unhinging of the rear edge of the roof liner. Mine did and Essendon Skoda did a great job. It got rid of the clunks but unhinging of the rear edge of the roof liner will get rid of the flex stresses which cause the creaks. 

They all do it is a very arrogant way to tell you we know about this common issue but cannot be bothered to help you. For all the effort it takes a spanner monkey to sort it which is very little would go a long way to keep customers who are more demanding than others happy.

I was going to attempt to cure my rattling sunroof as per your useful information. But, i thought no. I did not spend all this cash for a DIY project. So dealer it it for this. I also have all my rusted wheel hubs to paint....the skoda DIY car only £35k lol

Don't be too hard on dealers. Mine has been very good. Modern cars are complex and generally very well put together - a jigsaw puzzle of parts that fit each other. But occasionally not quite. It is the manufacturers (like VAG) who are not very good at integrating intelligent owner feedback and solutions into the Tech Bulletin  processes. They could learn from software companies who rely on users to track down bugs.

When I look at Skoda, VW and Audi the value for money lies in Skoda. If you are interested in cars rather than badges then Skoda delivers massively.

• Like 1