Note 8

biomulv

1 hour ago, Aspman said:

Ouch, not for the bargain hunter that. Be interesting to see how you get on with it.

This is true. I am seriously impressed by my S8, my first non work samsung since my S3 LTE. 

That said, they hold their money in the second hand market. 

26 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

Sadly no mobiles are anymore. 

The iPhone 8 is set to be nearly £1,000.

Thats just ridiculous 

The problem is people buy apple products, what ever apple charge people will buy.

I have a Mac book pro, ( It's over 6 years old and still works like a new laptop )  an iPhone and an iPad,  They are quality products and they work seamlessly with each other but I do agree they are getting a tad expensive.

6 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

The problem is people buy apple products, what ever apple charge people will buy.

I have a Mac book pro, ( It's over 6 years old and still works like a new laptop )  an iPhone and an iPad,  They are quality products and they work seamlessly with each other but I do agree they are getting a tad expensive.

It's not just Apple. 

The next Google pixel is circa £800 as are most of the forthcoming flagship phones from other manufacturers. 

• Like 1

Flagship phones are getting pretty expensive now you're right.

I've got an iPhone 6SE which for me is mostly great and I've no urge to get anything else.

I do have a problem with it with the keyboard vs my fingers. I've got quite big hands and blunt fingers so delicate tapping on a little screen doesn't always go well.

Might be a Blackberry Keyone for me next time.

9 hours ago, Baileydog said:

Have always been an iPhone fanboy but I am tempted by the Note 8, saw this on Hot Deals.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/samsung-galaxy-note-8-695-pre-order-with-free-dex-and-12-months-buy-now-pay-later-very-2774683

That's a great deal, saw it myself. 

As far as the cost, either way it's eye watering. But buying and selling at the right time, my last 3 flagship devices have cost me less than £100 total. 

22 hours ago, Baileydog said:

Have always been an iPhone fanboy but I am tempted by the Note 8, saw this on Hot Deals.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/samsung-galaxy-note-8-695-pre-order-with-free-dex-and-12-months-buy-now-pay-later-very-2774683

Seems that deal is a bit of a white elephant. 

On that whole thread on hduk it's only worked for a few people. 

New credit account with pay later option required, even then it is random. 

I tried myself for fun and it gave me 10% off. Still £85, but not as good. 

Even though the Note 8 looks like a great phone I can't justify £60+ a month.  I have a Note 4 and still love it.  I don't want t change it but after three years the screen is starting to show burn marks, the OS is stuttering so could probably do with a factory reset and the battery is doing some weird things.

Will probably opt for the S8 shortly but it doesnt come with the S Pen which I find really useful.

1 hour ago, SheffieldVRS said:

Even though the Note 8 looks like a great phone I can't justify £60+ a month.  I have a Note 4 and still love it.  I don't want t change it but after three years the screen is starting to show burn marks, the OS is stuttering so could probably do with a factory reset and the battery is doing some weird things.

Will probably opt for the S8 shortly but it doesnt come with the S Pen which I find really useful.

Depends on your usage and how much a sim would be for you? 

The Samsung Upgrade program, avaliable on the S8 and the N8 is c£30 ( with a c£80 deposit) a month. Plus your sim cost. 

If you stay in the program you get the new flagship each year. Or keep it the 2 years and it's yours. Or pay off the balance and leave at any point. 0% on the N8. 

I pay £15 for my 25gb EE sim. Could get it cheaper but I use the data. 

I think you'd really have to use a phone with that sort of cost in anger as a tool not just for looking at Pusbook, Tvvatter and Instagran.

But with the dock thingy at least it has the capability of replacing a tablet or a laptop.

I'm not aware of Apple doing anything similar although MS did have their Continuum  idea but then they dumped mobile altogether.

1 hour ago, biomulv said:

Depends on your usage and how much a sim would be for you? 

The Samsung Upgrade program, avaliable on the S8 and the N8 is c£30 ( with a c£80 deposit) a month. Plus your sim cost. 

If you stay in the program you get the new flagship each year. Or keep it the 2 years and it's yours. Or pay off the balance and leave at any point. 0% on the N8. 

I pay £15 for my 25gb EE sim. Could get it cheaper but I use the data. 

Mobile internet I only use about 2gb a month due to having wi fi everywhere.  Wi fi is about 45-50gb a month

Not heard of the Samsung programme.  Do you have any links to it? 

2 hours ago, SheffieldVRS said:

Mobile internet I only use about 2gb a month due to having wi fi everywhere.  Wi fi is about 45-50gb a month

Not heard of the Samsung programme.  Do you have any links to it? 

So the upgrade program plus a sim would see you sub £40.

Samsung upgrade program

If you want a more conventional 2 year contract then sky has the S8 for £28 with 500mb and the N8 for £38. No voWifi or Volte though. 

I posted on the linked HDUK thread - I was a Samsung user for a long time, since the original Galaxy S, however when I upgraded to the S7 Edge I was so underwhelmed I ordered a Xiaomi Mi Mix and sold the Samsung to Music Magpie. I think I paid an extra £120 on top of S7 Edge after 10 months of owning. 

I bought the Mrs a Xiaomi Note Pro to replace her broken HTC M8 in 2014 so already knew they were decent, however the Mi Mix is on another level to any Samsung I've owned. From the general fell/build to the battery life I've, never looked back. Xiaomi are releasing their Mi Mix 2 in a couple of weeks, given the specs of my Mix, which is almost a year old, isn't far off the Note 8 and exceeds in some respects I'm looking forward to the spec of the new Mix. 

Guest FurryFriend

Buy the Oneplus3T.... Completely awesome. 

None of the restrictions, ponciness and complete crap that Apple and Samsung install. Everything is customisable through the Oxygen OS system and at around £400 it's a steal. 

Best phone ever in my opinion, and does everything. 

8 hours ago, FurryFriend said:

Buy the Oneplus3T.... Completely awesome. 

None of the restrictions, ponciness and complete crap that Apple and Samsung install. Everything is customisable through the Oxygen OS system and at around £400 it's a steal. 

Best phone ever in my opinion, and does everything. 

Is the T still available new with the release of the 5?

( I have owned a One, 3, T and briefly a 5. ) 

Agree, the T is worth the money. The 5 less so. Bang for buck my 3 was a steal. 

Guest FurryFriend

Pretty sure the 3T is still available. 

Really is an amazing phone. Highly recommended. We love ours. 

Personally can't see the point of the 5.  The 3T model does it all. The 5 is just for those poncy sad Apple types  who just have to have a new fashion phone every 5 minutes imho. :biggrin:

Edited by FurryFriend

21 hours ago, FurryFriend said:

Pretty sure the 3T is still available. 

Really is an amazing phone. Highly recommended. We love ours. 

Personally can't see the point of the 5.  The 3T model does it all. The 5 is just for those poncy sad Apple types  who just have to have a new fashion phone every 5 minutes imho. :biggrin:

That will be me. :) Although I could not be more anti apple. 

Think the Note8 might see me pushing it and trying to last a whole year. :)

On 8/30/2017 at 09:34, Aspman said:

Flagship phones are getting pretty expensive now you're right.

I've got an iPhone 6SE which for me is mostly great and I've no urge to get anything else.

I do have a problem with it with the keyboard vs my fingers. I've got quite big hands and blunt fingers so delicate tapping on a little screen doesn't always go well.

Might be a Blackberry Keyone for me next time.

OT, I know, but I've solved the problem- £shop touch screen tool .

• Like 2

Seems our American cousins have started taking delivery of their Note 8's. My day 1 pre order been confirmed for September 15 delivery, the official worldwide release date. 

Might be carriers sending them out rather than samsung themselves though. 

• 2 weeks later...

She is a beast for sure. 

Like the S8, it makes every other device seem dated. (my recent devices include OP3, OP3T, OP5, Sony Z2, LG G6, Pixel XL and the S8. Some more briefly than others.) 

Only used it today, but it's waaaaay more than a S8 with a stylus. Quite simply on another level.  

Came with a wee galaxy bag and a thank you note for spending an exorbitant amount of money. 

20170915_184725-1-01.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/09/2017 at 20:54, biomulv said:

Came with a wee galaxy bag and a thank you note for spending an exorbitant amount of money. 

Is the bag flame retardant?

• Haha 1