First Oil Change

Guest FurryFriend

Guest FurryFriend

Our lovely new 1.2 DSG Yeti has now covered 6000 miles since we collected it in March and the oil is looking a bit tired. 

I am intending to change the oil in the next week or two, because I hate dirty oil, it's an engine killer. 

Does anyone have the Skoda filter number please, and do I need a new sealing ring for the sump plug or any special tool to remove the filter housing /filter. 

I want to completely dump the old oil, and not have it sucked out through the filler tube, as I have been told some dealers do. That's why I'd prefer to do it myself. I have done dozens of oil changes, but just want to be sure there's nothing too different with doing the Yeti. 

Thanks for any info. 

I read somewhere that sucking the oil out gets more out than using the drain plug.

The drain plug and seal doesn't have to be replaced as undisturbed.

The undertray does not have to be removed to gain access.

As the engine oil is designed to last 18k on the variable service (diesel, not sure about petrol) personally I think an oil change at this low mileage is a waste of money.

The standard fixed service will probably suit you better and will come at around 1 year based on your mileage to date.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FurryFriend said:

Our lovely new 1.2 DSG Yeti has now covered 6000 miles since we collected it in March and the oil is looking a bit tired. 

I am intending to change the oil in the next week or two, because I hate dirty oil, it's an engine killer. 

Does anyone have the Skoda filter number please, and do I need a new sealing ring for the sump plug or any special tool to remove the filter housing /filter. 

I want to completely dump the old oil, and not have it sucked out through the filler tube, as I have been told some dealers do. That's why I'd prefer to do it myself. I have done dozens of oil changes, but just want to be sure there's nothing too different with doing the Yeti. 

Thanks for any info. 

As your car is still under warranty I would be very wary about doing this. 

If you are on the fixed servicing regime your car will be due an oil service at 9k miles, not far away, and the oils recommended by Skoda are designed for that mileage. Changing early will not help and just make a hole in your pocket, especially as the dealer will be doing it again soon.

And just because an oil looks dirty proves nothing. In a diesel the oil is black within minutes!

• Like 2

Guest FurryFriend

Thanks for this both of you. I will take your advice and wait until 9k comes round. 

Still a bit old school and worry about metallic swarf running round the engine. 

9k it will be. 

As I'm finding out, technology has moved on considerably. 

I think changing the oil after 6000 on a 1.2 petrol is a bit over zealous and an absolute waste of money,12 month service will be fine ,what was your last car a model T ford

Edited by Sad555

1 hour ago, FurryFriend said:

Thanks for this both of you. I will take your advice and wait until 9k comes round. 

Still a bit old school and worry about metallic swarf running round the engine. 

9k it will be. 

As I'm finding out, technology has moved on considerably. 

Considering how fine the oil filtering is I doubt that there will be any swarf in the engine.

You can not judge the condition of oil by its appearance - unless it is severely ruined (ie thick and sludgy, thin and watery or obviously emulsified).  Direct injection petrol engines tend to create more soot than port injected or carb-fed engines, which turns the oil dark quite quickly.  The oil is designed to disperse this and prevent any issues until service time.  The VW 504 00 spec oil is, as stated above, designed to last up to 18,000 miles (and by also carrying the 507 00 spec it is designed to do this oil change interval in a diesel too, which will put much more soot into the oil).  Any 'swarf' will get picked up by the oil filter.

There's no real harm done by early oil changes, but the factor driving many people's decision to do this is based on history and how it always was.  There appears to be a reluctance to accept longer oil drain intervals, even though they have been proved millions of times over in countless cars across Europe for years.

• Like 1

Lots of sense above but it is accountants and fleet sales which have driven extended oil changes and if you may want to keep a car after the average pcp or contract hire deal an early additional oil change is cheap and at the worst harmless- the failure rate outside initial contract/warranty periods is of no interest to the bean counters so has no part in their calculations.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JCP said:

Lots of sense above but it is accountants and fleet sales which have driven extended oil changes and if you may want to keep a car after the average pcp or contract hire deal an early additional oil change is cheap and at the worst harmless- the failure rate outside initial contract/warranty periods is of no interest to the bean counters so has no part in their calculations.

A lot of sense here too, but whilst accountants and fleets may have driven oil change intervals longer, the oil companies have had to come up with the goods.  In the end it doesn't really matter who pushed for it, the outcome is that oils have stepped up to the mark.

There is little harm in shorter oil changes, but it is not completely harmless.  Using more oil means using more resources - the hydrocarbons and chemicals within and the energy needed to get them into your car and then dealt with afterwards.  And I also caution that every time you do an oil change is a chance to introduce an error.  Foreign matter, wrong oil, stripped thread, misfitted filter, untightened sump plug etc.  The more often you do this the more chance of failure, potentially catastrophic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yetiflute said:

Mine is on extended service indicating about 18000 miles. Like my last Yeti I will still change oil/filter at 9000 miles approx.

So why have it on the extended service regime?  Why not get it set to fixed service interval?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, weasley said:

So why have it on the extended service regime?  Why not get it set to fixed service interval?

Good question. Well I get the "proper" extended service done by main agent which is relatively costly but it registers the "proper" service in the system. The intermediate oil change only is done relatively cheaply but efficiently by an independent one man Workshop 100 yards from my rural home. My annual mileage just happens to suit this arrangement.

Guest FurryFriend
On 29/08/2017 at 19:59, Sad555 said:

I think changing the oil after 6000 on a 1.2 petrol is a bit over zealous and an absolute waste of money,12 month service will be fine ,what was your last car a model T ford

Don't be so cheeky! :biggrin::biggrin:

Until about 10 years ago, almost all cars had a 5,000 to 10,000 oil change period. 

Just looking after MY nice new, shiny, unthrashed, happy engine. 

Cars weren't even invented when I was born B)

Furrryfriend........quote......."Until about 10 years ago, almost all cars had a 5,000 to 10,000 oil change period. 

Cars weren't even invented when I was born B)"..........well all the  cars I have had in the last 10 yrs have been 12 months between oil changes (synthetic)oils the only car I've had with a 6 month oil change was in the 90 s when Honda first service was an oil change at 6 months................but it's you money not mine change it as often as you want if it makes you feel better.

I am going to change "my" oil today, kilometres are 5 th and next time in one year - the winter can be harsh fo the engine because I do not not warm it up electrically as most of us do here during the winter.

Guest FurryFriend
38 minutes ago, Sad555 said:

Furrryfriend........quote......."Until about 10 years ago, almost all cars had a 5,000 to 10,000 oil change period. 

Cars weren't even invented when I was born B)"..........well all the  cars I have had in the last 10 yrs have been 12 months between oil changes (synthetic)oils the only car I've had with a 6 month oil change was in the 90 s when Honda first service was an oil change at 6 months................but it's you money not mine change it as often as you want if it makes you feel better.

You're a lucky man then. 

I had to 'make do' with second hand vehicles for most of my life. Some over 15 years old. I always bought top of range cars. Basically it was buy one with 12 months MOT, and if it passed the next one with little expenditure,  great, if it didn't, scrap it and buy another. The MOT was, and still is a licence for many garages just to rip people off. Not me. 

You obviously had more £££than us. Good luck to you. 

This car is my retirement present to myself and my wife. 

30 years ago, I decided to put money away for a new car for when we retired, to explore the UK. A fiver here, a twenty or a tenner there.  In 2016 we finally made enough for the Yeti. 

And that's why it means a lot to us to look after it. 

We've all had to run old bangers for many years  and dreading the expense of any repairs so learnt a lot about repairing cars.in fact I was 38 before we bought our first new car so I know what it means to you .in fact from the age 17 -38 I only had 5 old cars and even swopped the engines over from a corsair to a mk1 cortina because it was a recon I had bought £25 and fitted firstly to the corsair then to the cortina so I've been there as well but use to work lots of overtime to  get a new car so please pass me a hanky I'm starting to well up myself.

Edited by Sad555

Ps ......furry friend...... keep putting the fivers away for the DSG SERVICE  fluid change that's a few hundred ££££££££..You might say I've been lucky to have so many new cars but it can also be said I've been stupid in wasting so much money on new cars but that's life and think yourself lucky you got to retirement and enjoy

Edited by Sad555

Guest FurryFriend

Happy. Always :biggrin:  Yep, been there, done that. I remember my 14 year old daughter helping me replace a Land Rover Series 3 gearbox through the passenger door using an engine crane.

Let it down very gently I said......Gently has different interpretations it seemed. I still have the broken finger to prove it! B)

That SERIOUSLY hurt! 

Edited by FurryFriend

2 hours ago, Sad555 said:

Ps ......furry friend...... keep putting the fivers away for the DSG SERVICE  fluid change that's a few hundred ££££££££..You might say I've been lucky to have so many new cars but it can also be said I've been stupid in wasting so much money on new cars but that's life and think yourself lucky you got to retirement and enjoy

what DSG fluid change?