can you retrofit a standard retractable parcel shelf

Another daft one from me:   if you order an estate without the retractable load cover, i'm led to believe you get a "fixed" (solid) one...   
the question is, can you later fit a retractable one - i.e. will the car come with all the right slots to be able to get one later, or are you stuffed?

thanks

nik

I believe it would be easily possible to retrofit the retractable load cover, but it would not be a straight swap.   You would have to replace the boot side trims as well to ones that have the channel for the cover, but that would be it, unless you want the automatic one.

If you can, order it with the car as the £50 cost of having the retractable cover built with the car would be less than buying the parts separately later on.

• Like 1

The naming of the option here is not at all helpful.  The standard load cover is retractable (you press the edge of the cover and it retracts), but the optional extra is for it to retract automatically when you open the boot.

I believe an automatic retracting cover is standard if you have a powered bootlid, but seemingly Skoda will still let you add it as an option.

• Like 1

yes, the skoda price list is a shambles... it has mistakes all over it (like rear parking sensors listed for £250 and front+rear listed for £200!! (should be 400)) and it's impossible to get any fine detail..

So, am I right in thinking that the £120 retractable options should really read "automatically retractable parcel shelf"...   (even though the spec list doesn't say it has to come with the electric boot, even though that seems to be the case)...    

meaning that the default on the estate is a manually retractable cover ???   or do they seriously have a hard/fixed cover as standard?

13 minutes ago, simhub said:

The naming of the option here is not at all helpful.  The standard load cover is retractable (you press the edge of the cover and it retracts), but the optional extra is for it to retract automatically when you open the boot.

I believe an automatic retracting cover is standard if you have a powered bootlid, but seemingly Skoda will still let you add it as an option.

Since I got my car in January I had been wondering why it had the retractable cover which I specifically hadn't ordered!! Now I know! Thanks

13 minutes ago, Wet Kipper said:

so what's the £50 "sliding trunk cover" option then ?

image.png.e9a3c9986f97373377df1b15e1fe0968.png

I wondered that - but it's not on the actual price/spec list..   basically the configurator and spec list don't match :-/

I found the options choice to be baffling, especially around phone prep.  I think I have the retractable cover.  There is an option for it and when I open the boot (electric), the cover is already retracted.  Shame it does close itself....

so, I have an answer from a dealer:

"standard the car comes with the fixed shelf, there is no retractable part to it, the only option now available to order is a retractable one which auto retracts when the boot is opened but this is a £120 option."

who has NOW said, after checking.. 

"the dealer he went off himself to check with a salesman in the showroom. So basically the fixed parcel shelf does have a roller cover which you can manually use to cover the boot, the option is pay £120 and have an auto retractable cover. Sorry for the confusion.

I have spoken to one of the sales men and have been informed the parcel shelf is a roller  parcel shelf.

This would need to be open and closed manually."

I just really wish Skoda would be clear on their terminology... 

Edited by mr.nik