Coolant Warning

Started car this morning with coolant warning light which was a surprise. Car is only 9 months old and done 8k.

This is now a really dumb question, where do I look to see if it is actually low.

Can I top this up myself?

Should it be low on a 9 month old car?

Left side of the engine bay, clear(ish) reservoir with a min and max line. Coolant level should be between min and max when parked on a level surface. Needs top up if below min. Be careful opening the reservoir lid for top up if car has just been used and is up to temperature.

You need G13 coolant (to appropriate dilution) to top up.

Losing coolant isn't an uncommon issue but shouldn't happen, so might be worth raising with your dealer.

Edited by ahenners

Owners Manual in the car is so handy and worth a read.

It is good that the UK Driving Instruction and test is supposed to have new drivers able to identify things under the bonnet that need checking.

Tyre Pressures, coolant level, oil level is the drivers responsibility to check regularly and not just leave from PDI / Hand over to services.

• Like 1

Fairly common to need a top up, several t hreads on here e.g. http://tinyurl.com/y893qx6r  My theory is that cooler overnight temperature will drop the level enough to trigger a warning.  There have been issues with water pumps so monitor the level after top up & back to the dealer if it drops again.

2 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Owners Manual in the car is so handy and worth a read.

It is good that the UK Driving Instruction and test is supposed to have new drivers able to identify things under the bonnet that need checking.

Tyre Pressures, coolant level, oil level is the drivers responsibility to check regularly and not just leave from PDI / Hand over to services.

But surely that is the job of the chauffeur?

5 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

It's Meteor Grey George, so the expansion tank's camouflaged - good reason to get Sprint Yellow eh! ;)

S00perb,

One might imagine so, but it is so hard finding the standard of staff these days,

so many of these work shy types were trained the VW way and that means very little gets checked even when new cars delivered from the factory.

Not much hope for the UK motor industry once there are less hard working migrants in the UK with the work ethic and not just the gear but an idea and pride in their work.

Edited by Headinawayoffski
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, shanemeh said:

Started car this morning with coolant warning light which was a surprise. Car is only 9 months old and done 8k.

This is now a really dumb question, where do I look to see if it is actually low.

Can I top this up myself?

Should it be low on a 9 month old car?

It's a common issue on cars with this engine, Leon, Golf, Octavia (mine included), they need a top up and then everything seems to be fine afterwards. I suspect it's air in the system from the factory that takes a while to dissipate, but why it takes so long I have no idea. Mine has been fine for the last 14k miles since topping up at about 6k.

I wouldn't be unduly worried, but definitely let the dealer know so they have it on record for future reference should the worst happen.

I would take it back to the dealers & ask them to top it up & pressure test the system.

At 9 months old it shouldn't need coolant topping up.

As there are a few known issues with the water pump & air in the coolant system its worth getting them to check it.

• 2 years later...

Hello guys, wondering if anyone has suggestions for what else could cause this warning light and sound to come on everytime the car is started up?
The coolant level is fine, and has been topped up as a precaution regardless.

Would this issue be covered by warranty - car is on a PCH lease and is only 2 years old.

In addition, is this something that a leasing company (or their preferred disposal/auction partner) would have an issue with when the lease expires?

EDIT: lease expires in just a few weeks, hence wondering what the consequences (if any) for not getting this rectified.

Edited by Aston100

Mine did this on my oct 2 and the sensor had a load of crud on it ... cleaned it off and was fine after that.  If maintenance is part of lease get it booked in.

You do not need a service slot.

Call SKODA ASSIST, say you are not wanting to drive the car as you feel unsafe and you read the T&C's of the Manufacturers Warranty about warning lights.

They can have a 'responder' / RAC come out. Diagnose an issue or not, and arrange the cars recovery to a Dealer and the courtesy or hire car can be delivered.