Does yours like steep hills... cos my greenline doesn't

We're on holiday in Italy at the moment from the UK.  The car is going very well indeed, but I'm  finding that a 1.6 greenline just doesn't like some of the steep (ish) hills in Umbria. I'm  having to drop down to 1st gear for some of them when I wouldn't have expected to have  to have done so. But hey, the economy makes up for it, but may go for 2.0 next time.....18 mths left on lease and would certainly have another one.

How are any 2.0 150hp drivers finding theirs are on hills?? Would be interested to know.

Can't speak for 150TDi cars, but in the Alps earlier this year I only noticed how steep the roads were when going down them a couple of days later on a bus. The car didn't seem to notice the steep hills; it must have just changed down a gear or two and carried on in near silence (from the engine anyway!).

No, you are right. I have to stir the box quite a bit. Also, getting a Tech without a DSG has proved to be pointless on the ACC front apart from motorways! 

3 minutes ago, RickTT said:

Never any power issues for hills in my 2.0tdi 150..

Was the car fully loaded ? did you have it in sport mode? did you put your foot to the floor?

Its not really a power issue, just more of an observation. The car was extremely well loaded on the way here but is now empty apart from myself and my wife. In sport mode. Its ok if you start the incline with high revs but if not... forget it.  Its probably no big surprise with such a big car with a 1.6 engine.

This is why the last 3 cars have been 2.0 140hp Tdi Passat, 2.0 150hp Tdi Octavia and 2.0 Tdi150hp Superb.

I had a 3 day test drive in a 1.6 Tdi Passat and it may be OK on the motorway one up but otherwise you have to work it hard and it was less economical in real life than the 2.0.

The Passat was a company car and the fuel saving more than offset the additional tax.

There is nothing quite like torque and the 1.6 is not as good as the old 1.9 to drive.

Mine is perfectly fine on hills, overtaking etc.   

I'm still not regretting my decision of the getting the 150 over the 190 TDI.  I'm more so regretting my fuel choice but that's just down to a vast reduction in my mileage. 

20 hours ago, Gross9661 said:

We're on holiday in Italy at the moment from the UK.  The car is going very well indeed, but I'm  finding that a 1.6 greenline just doesn't like some of the steep (ish) hills in Umbria. I'm  having to drop down to 1st gear for some of them when I wouldn't have expected to have  to have done so. But hey, the economy makes up for it, but may go for 2.0 next time.....18 mths left on lease and would certainly have another one.

How are any 2.0 150hp drivers finding theirs are on hills?? Would be interested to know.

Keep the 1.6 and holiday in Holland, or Lincolnshire

* Another great Holiday Motoring tip from AG * 

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

4 hours ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Keep the 1.6 and holiday in Holland, or Lincolnshire

* Another great Holiday Motoring tip from AG * 

Nowt wrong with Lincolnshire or Holland but you can't beat driving round Italy... we love it!!!

Update from  the hols..... Have today left Italy and driven over the alps , through Austria and into Germany and are now near Nordlingen in Bavaria. I have discovered that the 1.6 greenline is much better if driven hard up hills and it just needs a lot more revs than you might expect.  It managed the long trip up the alps fairly well considering it was loaded to the brim with lots of wine ,olive oil etc etc etc. However we have discovered what a good motorway cruiser it is today. On the way down to Italy we were on the autobahns of Germany but couldn't move for road works... horrendous journey. Today coming back a different  route we had a 100 mile stretch without speed limits and hardly any traffic. A steady 100mph and still managing  about 65mpg. I've never felt  comfortable  doing those speeds in a car before but this is a different beast altogether. Definitely  a car for the motorways and economical too. Well impressed. Weve got the last 600 mile leg on Sunday up to europort, and with no trucks on the autobahns on a weekend....I cant wait.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gerrycan said:

Is 65mpg at a steady 100mph actually possible?

I would have said that myself but with cruise control set at 160kmh it returned 64.8 over a distance of almost 30 miles where i didnt have to slow down for anything. Not the most accurate reading I admit ie starting from a point where i was already doing 160 kmh and a nice flat straight stretch but I was still surprised at the reading. More surprising to me was how stable and safe the car felt at those speeds. 

Fair enough, but there might have been more gradient or other beneficial factor for that segment than was apparent to get that result.

You are obviously enjoying the trip and car performance :)

• Like 1

With 12,000 now on the clock, I can confirm that that my 2.0 TDi 150 (6 speed manual) deals comfortably with steep hills. Interestingly the 1.6 S3 performance on paper is almost identical to the mk2 2.0 TDi 140 - that was a car I ran for well over 4 years and never found it wanting.