Columbus Satnav and Point of interest

I purchased a Skoda Superb saloon L&K spec in March this year.  The car has so far turned out to be just superb, but if there is anything negative I can find to say it will be that the POI  (Point of Interest)  function is very poor. Let it also be said that the normal sat nav functions for going from a to b is very good, maps for Ireland are the ECE 2016/2017. I am used to using Garmin Sat Nav where the POI function is divided into categories and you can then search in them.  The Columbus Sat Nav in my Superb seems to have only Petrol stations, restaurants and Car Parks.  Can anybody tell me if and how you can get a wider range of categories loaded into the Columbus Sat Nav?

There are lots of POI's, go into the menu from the satnav and it should list lots of options, tick what you want displayed (there is a limit).

You can add things, I added speed camera data.

I would have thought European maps are the same in Ireland as UK, currently on ECE 2017/2018 (updated mine yesterday as dealer hadn't).

Agree with Mr Grump, Columbus comes with many POI groups its just that they are not "enabled" by default - I guess so at the display remains relativly un clutterd. If you go into NAV setup you should be able to selct which groups you want to work with.

Columbus will also allow third party POI groups to be imported from SD cards. Quite a lot on this forum about this - mainly for speed cam POIs but the princibles still apply for others.

Personally I import POIs for Speed cams, Shell & Tescos fuel (Due to those being the only suppliers of 99RON petrol), English Heritage and National Trust sites.

Come back with any queries I'm sure someone on here will be able to help.

I am guessing you had to import Tesco's as mine only had Shell, but finding Tesco's isn't hard :)

I supect the car hasn't been run on "proper" petrol in its previous 4,400 miles of management use, so I have to re-teach the ECU. Plan is first 3-4  tanks of V-Power to give it a clean-up, then onto Momentum ;)

But (as usual) I digress :blush:

Edited by Mr Grump

First of all, thank you for the quick reply.  However, it does not work for me.  Here is what I did this morning. I turned on the Sat Nav, selected the Nav button, and then settings.  I selected Map settings on the screen and then tapped on select POI's.  I ticked a few more than the three stanard ones such as hotels, golf, and a couple of other ones as well.  Went back to Navigation window and selected POI.  And guess what, it still came up with Petrol stations, restaurants and Car Parks. I then reentered the configuration of POI in Maps and deselected ALL.  Going back to POI in NAV it still comes up with the same three categories.  Am I missing something here??

44 minutes ago, Nordy1951 said:

First of all, thank you for the quick reply.  However, it does not work for me.  Here is what I did this morning. I turned on the Sat Nav, selected the Nav button, and then settings.  I selected Map settings on the screen and then tapped on select POI's.  I ticked a few more than the three stanard ones such as hotels, golf, and a couple of other ones as well.  Went back to Navigation window and selected POI.  And guess what, it still came up with Petrol stations, restaurants and Car Parks. I then reentered the configuration of POI in Maps and deselected ALL.  Going back to POI in NAV it still comes up with the same three categories.  Am I missing something here??

I have the Amundsen unit but this is what happens when I select additional POI categories. They do not show under the POI button on the main screen, this is just a quick search for the three POIs listed (Carparks, etc) and will not change when you add more POI categories. For example, I selected ATMs but the quick search poi list did not change but the map does show atm locations nearby, as I am quite rural I had to zoom into the nearest town.

3 hours ago, Nordy1951 said:

It's the same in mine - never been able to figure it out...

I was aware that you can write the POI category into the search line in Search for new destination, that works but is a very cumbersome way to find as an example a hotel. In my owners manual for Columbus, Amundsen and Bolero infotainment systems, page 67 under Map description the following is stated. To select to display POI's in the main menu Navigation the functional surface tap screen symbol and tap on Map. Tap Select interest categories and desired categories (maximum of 10).  I think there is a bug here and I have asked the service department with my local dealer in Dublin to look into this. When I get an update I will post the answer on this thread

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Smudgers said:

Agree with Mr Grump, Columbus comes with many POI groups its just that they are not "enabled" by default - I guess so at the display remains relativly un clutterd. If you go into NAV setup you should be able to selct which groups you want to work with.

Columbus will also allow third party POI groups to be imported from SD cards. Quite a lot on this forum about this - mainly for speed cam POIs but the princibles still apply for others.

Personally I import POIs for Speed cams, Shell & Tescos fuel (Due to those being the only suppliers of 99RON petrol), English Heritage and National Trust sites.

Come back with any queries I'm sure someone on here will be able to help.

Any chance of sharing the the Tesco poi file please?  

Barry,

Try Pocket GPS World web site - look at their POI section. I have a subscription as I use their speed cams as well - not sure if you will need a sub to download other POI.

To my mind they have the best UK POIs for speed cams and its well worth paying for.

On 15/09/2017 at 21:03, BarryRoubaix said:

Any chance of sharing the the Tesco poi file please?  

FYI; I considered adding Tesco filling stations as a POI but I haven't bothered because when I do a POI search for filling stations (within the included Car & Travel category) it shows all the nearest filling stations, including Tesco, so I just scroll down the list until I see Tesco and select it.