Looking to 'pimp my ride'...

Hankering after the days when i modded a Mk1 Mini pick-up with a Cooper S engine with remarkable results, I have had it mind to do the same with a Caddy type pick up as well before I packed up playing with cars!

Finally found a Skoda pick-up in great condition that is crying out to be modified, but not being familiar with Skoda and VAG products in general, I am a bit lost and of course there is not a great deal on the internet as the car is quite old now. So I am hoping I can use the forum to get some ideas and get started.

My initial questions are:

1. Suspension and brakes.

This will be the basis upon which everything rides. Quite a few topics on modifying front and rear brakes, especially from Teflon Tom - not sure if he is still around? But rather than centering on just brakes, is there perhaps a way to replace the complete suspension with another that would give me discs all around plus a good selection of coilovers? I am thinking something like the newer Golf range. The only problem though is that I am limited as to being able to make body alterations, although I could/would get them done outside by a professional if necessary.

2. Engine and gearbox.

The car has a 1.9D engine now. What can be done to replace it without too many body alterations? Is the Golf GTi engine/gearbox a possibility? What engines will bolt onto the Felicia gearbox though - this might be a better option as it limits any body mods. Indeed is there a larger diesel engine - or can the 1.9 be modified with a a larger bore and/or turbo?

Is it possible to get lower ratio final drives for the Felicia box?  (- I am looking for accelaration rather than top speed)

3. Roll cage.

Has anyone made a roll cage that fits onto/into the load area that is fitted with the plastic liner? I have some ideas on whet to do here, but would like to see other ideas before I go making it. I also not sure if I actually want to keep the plastic liner in which case my design becomes easier.

4. Electric windows.

Is it a matter of just buying a Felicia control - the part that includes the window rails, motor and cable and fitting it and wiring back to a switch? I mean, are there any micro switches in the door to also fit?

5. Console.

I see from the parts book that there are two consoles for the Felicia - will both styles fit any car, or is it a model thing?

Any comments anyone can give will be most welcome!

Can only help with number one really, front suspension you can use mk1 Ford Focus coilovers.

Rear not too sure for a pick up but it's covered in this thread i beleive

Front brakes you can upgrade to 256mm, 280mm or 300mm front discs with mk1 Mondeo calipers, mk1 Mondeo v6 calipers or mk3 Mondeo calipers.

Rear brakes you can use full stub axle, discs and calipers from either mk2 golf gti, mk3 golf or polo 6n2.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply! I missed this thread by Teflon Tom, but have read his others on brake mods! It is a nuisance that all his photos are now hidden courtesy of Photobucket.

I am though surprised you say you can only help with my first question when I note you have a 1.8T with a GT28 turbo - but more on this later maybe..? For now I shall digest the various suspension options!

Thanks again!

Well as your pick up is a diesel i didn't think it would be worth changing to a petrol engine. Anyhow a 1.4 16v AFH engine will bolt onto the Skoda gearbox, which can also be made 1.6 16v using an AVY block or internals. 

I'm sure I've seen that a 1.8t will bolt up to the Skoda gearbox, though I'm not sure how long it would last bolted to a 1.8t. Guessing if a 1.8t bolts to it then in theory 1.9 tdi's from mk4 Golf's or similar should bolt up too as they use 02j gearboxes like the 1.8t? Again doubt the Skoda gearbox would last long.

To use any other gearbox is going to involve custom work, different driveshafts, shifter etc

Electric windows can be done, but not 100% sure of the process so I'll leave that for someone else to answer.

Again not 100% on the centre console but i would guess that mk1/mk2 Felicia centre consoles are interchangeable.

I used to have a 1.6 16v AFH bolted to a Felicia 1.3 gearbox and that was pretty quick for what it was, approx 130bhp but with the 1.3 gearbox acceleration was fast as the 1.3 box has a final drive of 4.1, you would be able to get about 150bhp from the 1.6 16v AFH wouldn't rule it out. Kept up with my mates Rx8 no problem.

My 1.8t uses the 02j gearbox it came with using mk4 Golf style mounts mounted on the Felicia chassis rails.

OK, the possibilities abound and body modifications necessary is not ripping out bulkheads which is encouraging.

I think I will go away and look at the suspension options in detail and then come back to the power plant later on.

Thanks for the comments so far!

It's known that, given sufficient money and determination, a VR6 engine and suitable gearbox will go in, but a 1.8t is smaller, lighter, and can be tuned to give more power.

Alternatively, it would be possible to get a 1.9tdi 90 or 110 to drop more less straight in aside from any problems that the immobiliser might cause.

A 1.8T can give more power than a VR6? You do surprise me, but as said earlier, I know very little on VAG engines...

Thanks for the comments though, again, encouraging. I shall wait until the end and depending on how far I go with the exterior will determine how much I throw at the power plant. I may not in the end pimp the car too much in which case all I will be seeking is to bring the 0-62 time to sub 10 seconds which might be achieved just from a 110 motor. Interesting your comment on the immobiliser - where is the immobiliser on a diesel engine? I assumed it was in the distribution pump, in which case I thought that with the correct pump on an egine, there would not be an issue, no?

As standard, a 1.8T can be had with 225bhp (Audi TT spec), and with forged internals and high boost goes to about 500bhp; the VR6 isn't forced induction and there's not really space to add it in the Felly engine bay once the boat anchor is fitted.

Not a happy bunny today! 

Thought i'd make a start on things as there is a ding in the rear panel that needs fixing. Took out the payload liner as I think I will dispense with it and maybe go for a polyurea coating instead. And there it was - rust, quite bad rust, on the tops of the turret arches! Very surprised as the car from the outside, underneath and suspension/engine mounts is extremely sound. The car has had a payload liner virtually from new they told me, so I was prepared for a bit of water damage underneath but not delaminated metal! Luckily it is only a smallish area that I can plate relatively easy and the actual shock mounts are solid still. 

A bit annoying when the car has spent the last 15 years being a run-around for a Dutch Skoda main dealer where it was garaged most nights.

Why do they rust at the top - I cannot see why this is where it all starts...

Edited by Haladams

3 hours ago, Haladams said:

Why do they rust at the top - I cannot see why this is where it all starts...

There is more than one pattern of rusting for Felicia. From my personal experience body corrosion starts due to:

• body design flaws (bad water drainage paths, plugged holes, use of porous materials)
  • insufficient body protection from factory
  • cracks in protection coating (paint, anti-gravel layer) having a mechanical cause (scratches, dents, traffic collisions, excessive vibration and shocks)
  • rubber seals aging

Payload liner is now off awaiting transport to the dump and a good check for other rust spots. Luckily nothing beyond some surface rust on the floor. Double checked all four turrets and cut out the rust areas on the rear arches for plating. 

Started to look at suspension. I do like the idea of coilovers on each corner, but all the threads on the subject seemed to jump around and get sidetracked with other things so did not get a real clear idea of the best way forward. Unfortunately, I am not near a scrapyard that I can use to check things out which is a nuisance. However from what I coined together with some help from suppliers, it does look as if the coilovers from a Seat Ibiza 6L might fit but worried by some comments that the thread on the rear piston rods might be too short... Anyway, I have a set on sale or return arriving soon, but if anyone has any comments on these, or indeed a better way to go (I would like all coilovers to match each other though) then please tell me!

Not so much trouble with brakes! I read the excellent thread on the subject started by Teflon Tom with Nu99et's valuable contribution that made it all crystal clear. Thanks Nu99et! (btw - 17" wheels - really?:cool:) Two points though on brakes that I hope you might clarify:

1. You say in your post here that 280 and 300mm discs are possible - what are these from and what calipers? (This mainly of interest as I like your set-up using Kia Accent and Sierra parts - they certainly look good in your photo and I think will fill a 15" wheel quite nicely.)

2. Just as I was getting to grips with it, you closed the thread saying you were off to get the back discs on. And never came back! I assume you used the Golf/Polo gear that you refer to above, yes? I would appreciate you expanding on the rears as I am assuming the Mk2 Gti gear is a direct bolt-on job, but the Polo? I thought the Polos were all rear drums up to quite lately, no? I ask as I can imagine making up a set of brakes for a GTi will be more costly than the same thing with the Polo name on them...

@Haladams - You said you don't know VAG engines; Performance VW magazine is a decent guide to what's possible. Also, have you seen TeflonTom's "project mongrel" Fabia thread? He has, or had, a 1.9TDi running about 290bhp and corresponding torque, which is about what the WTC Seat Leon TDis were doing.

Finally, see how your user name appears "white on green" above? If you type an @ then immediately start a user name, and click on the name when you see the one you want, you can do that, and the named user will get notified that someone is sending them a message. That's what the red number on the bell at the page top means.

Hey Ken, clever! I shall remember this! Thanks!

I'll try the magazine - I really have to get into VAG stuff pretty quickly as embarrissingly I am ignorant but proud owner of an 8V RS3 now, having been a staunch follower of Mercedes Benz nigh on for 20 years!

I will certainly read up on the 'mongrel' - sounds interesting.

Edited by Haladams

@nu99et18 - I found this on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkwagen-Golf-Mk1-Mk2-G60-Rear-Stub-Axle-Brake-Disc-Pad-Conversion-Upgrade/272815065525?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D77386d99453c43699d53b9d9e4f6977a%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D282619666471&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042 He says that he can supply reconned calipers and carriers as well for £200 odd. Is this the package that I should be considering for the rear brakes? And they are a bolt-on job?

There are lots of Sierra calipers still available on the recon shelves (I have to go back into the thread for the exact type...) and Accent discs seem pretty prolific as well. So, all looking good! Still interested in your 280 and 300 option though.

Which leaves the coilovers. Cannot get any dimensions out of anyone though! Person who promised me a set of Seat J2 can't do them now as he thought he had a set in stock but turns out he does not and will have to buy them in. back to the drawing board.

@Haladams

I had 17" wheels on back in 2012, then i had 15" now on 16" lol

I don't use the Sierra/kia setup any more, i use the 300mm setup as i need the stopping power for my 1.8t.

280mm can be done two ways, first way is to use Renault scenic discs 4×100 280mm and take the centre of the disc to 62mm from 61mm in a lathe or second way is to use the wheel hub from a Polo 6n and press these into your wheel bearings replacing the Skoda ones which means you can use mk2 golf 280mm g60 discs. Both of these use mk1 Mondeo v6 calipers.

300mm can be done using Renault Scenic 4x100 300mm discs, taking the centre out from 61mm to 62mm in a lathe. You then use the calipers from any mk3 Mondeo as they're all the same.

Both of these will fit behind 15" wheels, for the 300mm setup and 15" wheels i had to shave the calipers slightly and add 10mm wheel spacers, but will all depend on what wheels you use.

Yes that set up from the mk2 golf is a bolt on job, but you will need a spacer on the handbrake cable, the cables will also need re-routing.

However those style stub axle/bearings are pretty retro and mk2 Golf calipers have external mechanism which is prone to failure. Better using internal mechanism calipers from a mk3 Golf, or even better Aluminium calipers from a mk4 Golf (need to use mk2/mk3 carriers with these) and conversion brake pipe hoses. Personally i would just get the whole lot from a Polo 6n2 gti/diesel as these use the better bearings and mk4 Golf style calipers. They also have slightly bigger discs, 232mm compared to mk2 Golf 226mm.

So basically get the stub axles, wheel hubs with bearings, hub nuts, calipers and carriers from a Polo 6n2 gti/diesel. If aluminium calipers you'll need mk2 to mk4 conversion brake hoses too.

@nu99et18

Thanks - your post is a good capture of the whole thread and makes it all very clear! I do not know who did all the research to come up with the variants - thanks to them as well!

I have ordered two Polo 6N2 rear axle/hub assys from ATP in Germany, with the discs (thought I'd use drilled and grooved from Black Diamond - just to be a flash glt...) coming from Larkspeed who can supply reconned calipers but without carriers which I shall have to source as best I can. I might copy you, if you do not mind, with the Renault Scenic option...

Still need to get to grips with a suitable coilover set, but if not might revert to lowering springs. Either way, with the bodywork to do plus building the suspension, I shall go way for a while and come back at engine time...

Again, thanks.

I assume the stub axles you've bought are for a car with rear discs and the drum stub axles different.

Depending which calipers they send you may need some mk2 to mk4 conversion hoses.

That's fine by me, but be aware it's not a bolt on job without a few modifications. First you will have to get the centre of the discs taken out to 62mm.

Then the Mondeo carriers need some material taking off so they physically fit.

Then the carrier holes on the Skoda hub bearing carrier need taking out to 12mm from 10mm.

Lastly you will need some spacers to for the carriers to centralize the disc in the caliper, approx 3-4mm and make sure the carrier bolts clear the disc.

256mm setup with Seirra calipers is much easier and a very good setup on a Felicia.

@nu99et18

Thanks for covering my back on this. Appreciated! Yes, i am paying attention to all the deatil in this and your earlier thread on the subject. I noted the difference of the stubaxles and definitely have those with the carrier lugs!

Since yesterday, I have heard of a set of Sierra four pot calipers of the right age looking for a home, so I just might revert to the Sierra set-up. Depends on the condition of the calipers when I see them, and I need to calculate the extra pedal travel and the possibility of a new master cylinder.  No problem on the other mechanical issues. I have an old disc skimming lathe still reasonably accurate and a good pillar drill etc. 

I had a mail from AP coilovers last night that was reasonably friendly. They would not send me any detailed drawings but they would confirm any dimensions that I might want against a particular model of coilover, so busy now removing the rear suspension and seeing what room etc is available and hopefully put this one to bed as well.

Thanks again. I'll keep you posted on the success.

@nu99et18

Yes, this might be the case. I am fortunate that I can try them for size before I buy and I know the people well who will supply a Sierra disc on sale or return. As the disc does not require any modification, then if the four pots do not fit, then I can simply move on to your 300mm - or if I scratch the disc in fitting, retain the Sierra idea but use a single piston jobbie.

Edited by Haladams

@Haladams

Not 100% sure what you mean, but you can't use a Sierra disc.

If the 4 pot Sierra calipers bolt on the Skoda hub carriers then you may be able to find a disc from another car that will fit to make it work.