Replacing Bolero unit with aftermarket head unit

scubasad

On behalf of my Uncle again.. I`m looking to change the Bolero Head unit for one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RNS510-STYLE-HD-DVD-GPS-SAT-NAV-SKODA-FABIA-OCTAVIA-RAPID-ROOMSTER-SUPERB-YETI/112254638236?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 and wondered how easy it was to remove the Bolero unit. There doesn`t appear to be a separate surround but the replacement unit appears to require one..Which I can sort, but just wondered about the removal of the old unit.. Anyone by chance have a guide or done it before?

Don't do it. Those units have a nasty habit of catching fire. 

If if you want to y.upgrade the bolero then go for a genuine Amundsen or Columbus unit.  Don't mess around with dubious quality aftermarket rubbish. 

Good Morning scubasad

Check out the Yeti Technical Guides - LINK (I am sure there is also a Technical Guides section for the Octavia)

And you will find - LINK

Hope it helps............Tony

Edited by Great Yeti
Additional info

On ‎17‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 00:29, 137699 said:

Don't do it. Those units have a nasty habit of catching fire. 

If if you want to y.upgrade the bolero then go for a genuine Amundsen or Columbus unit.  Don't mess around with dubious quality aftermarket rubbish. 

That's quite a bold statement and slightly concerning..

Is it definitely these particular units or one similar? I feel sure if it were these they would have been withdrawn or else the guy would have horrendous feedback....

Feedback only works for about 30 days on ebay. Fires rarely occur in the first 30 days.

These units are made in china and whatever the brand name on the front, or the vehichle they're fitted to (they make the same unit in a variety of styles to fit various marques) they originate from a handful of slave-labour factories. There are well documented stories of them bursting into flames.

Just do a search for "Chinese head unit fire" on google.

• 2 weeks later...

regarding this upgrade, which is now fully functional and working a treat, does anyone know how to disable the actual Skoda Bluetooth? Even though the old Bolero head unit is gone the phone still wants to pair with Skoda BT, so am assuming the Bluetooth is a separate entity? Would save a lot of faffing about if it could be disabled in some way?

14 hours ago, scubasad said:

regarding this upgrade, which is now fully functional and working a treat, does anyone know how to disable the actual Skoda Bluetooth? Even though the old Bolero head unit is gone the phone still wants to pair with Skoda BT, so am assuming the Bluetooth is a separate entity? Would save a lot of faffing about if it could be disabled in some way?

I had the same issue when fitting an RCD330.

Delete your phone from the phone list via Maxidot. No need to disconnect the BT module.