DCC or not DCC on Sportline?

TomW80

I've managed to get two test drive sorted for the 190 and 220, but being demos and stock cars there's no DCC. At least of I like them I know the DCC can only improve the situation.

i really like how DCC changes driving condition,
but hate situation they can't solve rattles
https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/414829-suspension-rattle-dull-thud-over-uneven-surfaces/?tab=comments#comment-4886034

and also i'm dreaming about ~dynamic mode~, dependent on speed -
with the speeds >150kmh Normal is too soft, maybe even dangerous

• 9 months later...
On 17/09/2017 at 01:48, vrs2014 said:

I have a L&K Superb with the DCC, mine has been with the dealers for a creaking noise which was developing (thankfully sorted) and I was provided with a Superb Sportline without DCC.  The Sportline bounces around over speed humps quite alarmingly, didn't expect that at all with the sports suspension. My advice is to definitely get a long test drive in and make sure your happy with the ride & handling characteristics. I had the Sportline for 2 weeks and boy oh boy I am glad to be back in the L&K simply from the viewpoint of ride and handling. 

I have the sportsline estate and i can confirm it does bounce about on speed bumps and had i noticed this on the test drive i would have asked for the DCC or an explanation at least. I love the car but right now i'm googling bilstein dampers to see if that would resolve the issue. I'm also going to report this to Skoda and see what they say. 

I am a Mountain biker and have alot of suspension knowledge in bikes : It's as if the oil in the shocks is only say a 7.5 weight and not a 15 weight oil ( refer example to mountain bikes)  so hence the car bouncers and rebounds too much. Having a higher weighted oil in the dampener would slow that down and still do the dampening. 

I love my new car but this is my main gripe ! Time to email the salesman on this i think

• Like 1

"Alarmingly" is a very good description on how it handles aggressive speed bumps. It has taken me a while to find the perfect speed to stop them being a daily roller coaster ride. The suspension is good at dampening high frequency impulses, but poor at low frequency ones, which can make it feel a bit unsettled when pushing on bumpy country lanes.

When I test drove one with DCC it was better (I didn't try any speed bumps) but the ride was still much worse than my old mondeo.

27 minutes ago, flumpie said:

"Alarmingly" is a very good description on how it handles aggressive speed bumps. It has taken me a while to find the perfect speed to stop them being a daily roller coaster ride. The suspension is good at dampening high frequency impulses, but poor at low frequency ones, which can make it feel a bit unsettled when pushing on bumpy country lanes.

When I test drove one with DCC it was better (I didn't try any speed bumps) but the ride was still much worse than my old mondeo.

I am a bit hacked off  , my expectation was not of an audi S line which is our other can but not a soft vauxhall suspension of the 90's ! I had a corsa that bounced around corners this is the same over speed bumps and ups and downs which if then entering into a corner afterwards is very unsettling ( for a sportline car) I'd expect more dampening the springs seem fine i think the issue lies in the struts.

I'd expect more dampening. I'm googling bilstein options etc for me the estate is amazing for a family car so if i have to spend £500 to make it the best i will but i don't believe i should have to.

I doubt they can replace the oil as it's probably gas stuts on cars. I don't know enough on cars i just know the setup is far too soft.

If only it was like an MTB fork like marzoochi or fox swop out a spring and change the oil done in 30mins !!! 

So i take it your car is also NON DCC ? mine is the 1.4 tsi ACT

I ended up getting the car without DCC, on balance of what I read in the motoring press and on here. I had an L&K for the weekend once and noticed the firmer setting on that car made a difference, but I must say I don't miss it on my own car. I don't get any of the bouncing around that others have mentioned and although I notice it's much smoother than my previous Octavia VRS there's also very little between them in the overall handling. My version is UK 18 plate and the one with the a few tweaks, so perhaps Skoda rectified a known issue under the radar. I'm very happy with my car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrgmiles said:

So i take it your car is also NON DCC ? mine is the 1.4 tsi ACT

Mine is also without DCC.

5 minutes ago, TomW80 said:

I don't get any of the bouncing around that others have mentioned

Not even on these type of speed bumps?

Speed-Bumps-Lancashire.jpg

Apart from this style of speed bump, I find the suspension okay.

I've had zero bouncing/suspension issues on two Sportlines, a 2wd TDI and a 4wd TSI, both non-DCC.   I'd like the car to be a little firmer in the corners but then you're bordering on 'harsh' for the rest of the time.

As an all-rounder the Sportline's setup is spot on IME.  

Perhaps there's been a 'dodgy batch' of springs, bushes, etc? 

1 hour ago, flumpie said:

Mine is also without DCC.

Not even on these type of speed bumps?

Speed-Bumps-Lancashire.jpg

Apart from this style of speed bump, I find the suspension okay.

Hi @flumpie, nope mine's been absolutely fine. I've got a 2.0 TSI so it might be a bit heavier than some models. Unsure why others are having issues and I'm not.

On "Comfort" and "Normal" the car is very bouncy on speed bumps.

On "Sport" it is very tight.  

Comfort is brilliant on the motorway, not so good around town.  I tend to switch the mode depending on where I am driving.

After getting bored of waiting for the order books to open for the Kodiaq I'm now considering a Sportline and came across this thread. The ride comfort is important so it's interesting to read all the opinions which lead me to the conclusion that DCC is a worthwhile option.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My car is in the garage now and they have spoken to me today and said there is nothing wrong! Well it's much worse than the 2.0 tdi i took out as a test drive so  someone above who has the 2.0tsi might be onto something here weight wise. I have the 1.4tsi and it bounces after speed bumps and doesn't return and level up in one go. The fabia i have as a courtesy car over the same "test case" speed bumps, undulations on the nursery run home etc handles them absolutely fine.

My 1.4 tsi with the two kids some luggage in the boot going to bristol at the weekend was bouncing down the motorway on undulations this isn't was i expect from such a high end car.

I think i might have to take 3 of them out in it and show them. 

I'll keep you posted.

2 minutes ago, jrgmiles said:

My car is in the garage now and they have spoken to me today and said there is nothing wrong! Well it's much worse than the 2.0 tdi i took out as a test drive so  someone above who has the 2.0tsi might be onto something here weight wise. I have the 1.4tsi and it bounces after speed bumps and doesn't return and level up in one go. The fabia i have as a courtesy car over the same "test case" speed bumps, undulations on the nursery run home etc handles them absolutely fine.

My 1.4 tsi with the two kids some luggage in the boot going to bristol at the weekend was bouncing down the motorway on undulations this isn't was i expect from such a high end car.

I think i might have to take 3 of them out in it and show them. 

I'll keep you posted.

Standard suspension without DCC? 

5 minutes ago, alf.onso said:

Standard suspension without DCC? 

Mine is Standard suspension. I was told i didn't need it by the salesmen 

I'm wondering whether i should have spec'd the DCC.  This issue is more apparent when there is the whole family in the car which concerns me the most.

@jrgmiles. Standard suspension was way to "liquid" for me when I took the test drive. Especially on cornes and as you mentioned speed bumps. 

One thing that could make the 2.0 TDI and 1.4 TSI (by the way is it 110kw or the other?) suspension act differently is the difference in weight. 1.4TSI is very light weight engine and standard suspension is made to work on heavier engines too so it is a compromise. 

Odd to say but I strugeled with my 1.4 TSI (110kw DSG) a lot a the beginning. I absolutely love the engine and in terms of performance it's exactly the same as my MK2 1.8TSI was but it is soooooo light that when I was driving around the city, all I got was wheel spinn at every trafic light. It has improved after I made sound deadening to the car, that has actually improved the weight balance and made front side a bit heavier. Also, for my taste the suspension improved also with it (DCC). I know, a very odd solution for a very odd problem and I was not expecting such problem nor such solution.

You can test one thing. Go to the front corner of your car and push it down as low as you can with your weight. Let go fast and see if suspension goes up and down to it's original place in one go. It can not make any more moves than once up and once down. If the suspension "bounces", then I would say it is not ok. Do the same test with both front corners and see if the result is same.

Edited by alf.onso
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, alf.onso said:

@jrgmiles. Standard suspension was way to "liquid" for me when I took the test drive. Especially on cornes and as you mentioned speed bumps. 

One thing that could make the 2.0 TDI and 1.4 TSI (by the way is it 110kw or the other?) suspension act differently is the difference in weight. 1.4TSI is very light weight engine and standard suspension is made to work on heavier engines too so it is a compromise. 

Odd to say but I strugeled with my 1.4 TSI (110kw DSG) a lot a the beginning. I absolutely love the engine and in terms of performance it's exactly the same as my MK2 1.8TSI was but it is soooooo light that when I was driving around the city, all I got was wheel spinn at every trafic light. It has improved after I made sound deadening to the car, that has actually improved the weight balance and made front side a bit heavier. Also, for my taste the suspension improved also with it (DCC). I know, a very odd solution for a very odd problem and I was not expecting such problem nor such solution.

You can test one thing. Go to the front corner of your car and push it down as low as you can with your weight. Let go fast and see if suspension goes up and down to it's original place in one go. It can not make any more moves than once up and once down. If the suspension "bounces", then I would say it is not ok. Do the same test with both front corners and see if the result is same.

Thanks yeah i will do this and i do get wheel spin off the line i find easying off then back on works a treat. I do get the feeling that they haven't thought through the lack of weight with the 1.4 tsi and with crap in the boot / family lifeit seems 200% worse so be interesting to see what skoda say. Maybe some tougher springs are required but i'm certainly not paying for them! I dunno but i'm not happy!!  Otherthan this fundamental issue the car is absolutely outstanding for family i just wish it didn't bounce as you lose all confidence in a poor handling car.

My guess is the springs/ dampers are all the same and 2.0 tsi and diesel engines which weigh massively more than the new 1.4tsi - which is now run in is amazing.  Really hope skoda sort this out for me. Generally i'm very happy but this is a major issue/flaw in my opinion.

Edited by jrgmiles

It's funny how different people are experiencing different things. I've had my car since 1st March and not touched the tyres since I got it, but at the weekend I had to get a puncture repaired and noticed my tyres had been over-inflated by the dealership I got it from. After lowering the PSI/bar I've noticed the car definitely rides softer, which I'm still deciding if I like. With more tyre pressure the car rides firmer, but handles more sharply, but when I hit a pot hole or speed bump it's more noticeable. With the tyres a little softer like they are now it doesn't feel as sharp, but it absorbs bumps better. So perhaps the weight of my car, as mentioned, is a factor, but also tyre pressures being appropriate for the car, load and conditions. In any case I'm not getting any bouncing at all.

11 minutes ago, TomW80 said:

It's funny how different people are experiencing different things. I've had my car since 1st March and not touched the tyres since I got it, but at the weekend I had to get a puncture repaired and noticed my tyres had been over-inflated by the dealership I got it from. After lowering the PSI/bar I've noticed the car definitely rides softer, which I'm still deciding if I like. With more tyre pressure the car rides firmer, but handles more sharply, but when I hit a pot hole or speed bump it's more noticeable. With the tyres a little softer like they are now it doesn't feel as sharp, but it absorbs bumps better. So perhaps the weight of my car, as mentioned, is a factor, but also tyre pressures being appropriate for the car, load and conditions. In any case I'm not getting any bouncing at all.

Yours is a petrol 220bhp  model i presume ? Interesting i'm sure they have screwed up on the 1.4 tsi and just put the same suspension as the 2.0 tsi on when the 1.4 engine weighs next to nothing. My gut says this is the cause of the bouncing. I'm not a car expert but know suspension and how it works from my mountain bike knowledge. Dampening and spring weights are changed based on a riders/bike weight and the same methodology can be applied to a car as the weight of the engine aids the initial suspension sag and loads the dampeners. 

Currently i still have my tyres pressures at 3bar all round as i was fully loaded recently to go on a camping weekend - but even then on that journey it was bouncing all over the shop and sagging down at the rear

1 hour ago, jrgmiles said:

Currently i still have my tyres pressures at 3bar all round as i was fully loaded recently to go on a camping weekend - but even then on that journey it was bouncing all over the shop and sagging down at the rear

3 bar? Check but I think you need something like 2.4 - 2.7 bar max

Spring rates at the back should be the same, the weight differences is all at the front (except 4 X 4). Wrong springs would result in wrong ride height.

Sportline has shorter and stiffer springs ro give lower ride height so the ride is sportier, or better described as jigglier and more uncomfortable.

At least one other person has had major rear wheel alignment issues from the factory, so perhaps see if the dealer can check that. Wrong camber setting can look like sagging, wear the inside edge of the tyres badly and as your riding only on the edge of the tyre I imagine the ride is badly compromised.

Also check the transport blocks have been removed.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1