2012-2014 CTHE Mk2 Fabia vRS Timing Chain issues.

Rooted

Just a little help please from Mk2 vRS owners or ex drivers please or any techs, any experience of chain stretch or tensioner failing.

?

Have you had timing chain problems, and how did you become aware, 

rough or noisy running, mis-fires, and then what did you have , timing chain and tensioner replaced, and was it under warranty?

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/435977-timing-chain 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/434190-cthe-new-software-for-misfire 

thanks.

George

Edited by Headinawayoffski

• 3 weeks later...

A member that is a bit shy asked me if the sudden serious sounding noise from his 34,000 mile CTHE sounded like. 

I thought it was probably the Timing Chain failed.

So a Main Dealership did the diagnosis and as it turned out it is another one with premature water pump / supercharger magnetic clutch failure.

Not a clue but likely just the norm with the VW Group, parts sourced not fit for purpose.  Like Tensioners or Chains.

It is water pumps fitted to CTHE that seems to be having a shorter working life than the ones that were fitted to the CAVE had.

Ask VW Group / Skoda UK why they are failing at 30,000-40,000 miles on some vehicles not yet 5 years old and never raced or rallied, 

bet they have a difficult time giving an answer.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues 

4 hours ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Not a clue but likely just the norm with the VW Group, parts sourced not fit for purpose.  Like Tensioners or Chains.

It is water pumps fitted to CTHE that seems to be having a shorter working life than the ones that were fitted to the CAVE had.

Ask VW Group / Skoda UK why they are failing at 30,000-40,000 miles on some vehicles not yet 5 years old and never raced or rallied, 

bet they have a difficult time giving an answer.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues 

i guarantee that when this eventually happens to me the branch will say 'never heard of that one before'.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Adding to this. 

Engine warning light came on yesterday. Care went in to dealership today, the dealer has had a look and the faults come up point towards a suspected stretched timing chain . 

• Thanks 1

No idea why the Dealership should pay anything, there seems to be yet another Fundamental Design, Manufacturing / Materials issue with the engine that followed the CAVE which had other Fundamental Design, Manufacturing / Material faults.

Growing numbers of timing chain issues which VW, Skoda, Audi, Seat must be well aware of as it is on standard as they left the factory 2012 on vRS, Cupra, A1, GTI as nobody was remapping them.

4 hours ago, Headinawayoffski said:

No idea why the Dealership should pay anything, there seems to be yet another Fundamental Design, Manufacturing / Materials issue with the engine that followed the CAVE which had other Fundamental Design, Manufacturing / Material faults.

Growing numbers of timing chain issues which VW, Skoda, Audi, Seat must be well aware of as it is on standard as they left the factory 2012 on vRS, Cupra, A1, GTI as nobody was remapping them.

I will be speaking to the dealership regarding the repairs, due to the type of work do I need to ask them to check other components of the engine? 

Just encase the chain has has caused problems? 

• 2 weeks later...

Funny you should mention "noise". I have a 2012 CAVE that's just hit 40k and have a noise by what I can only describe as a pully. It was a rattle that's turned into a more of a wheel bearing type noise. 

I thought I was doing well being one of the lucky CAVE owners with no oil issues or gearbox issues for that matter. 

When the chain “stretched”, in my case the car suffered massive and sudden momentary power loss under load in the mid range. No warning lights.

But the diagnostics was very quick, there is a defined procedure of course and the cam lock tool doesn’t fit in at TDC because the cam is basically off by a degree or whatever.

CTHE, 30k-ish, 2014.

but anyway, what is meant by a chain stretching? From what I have read it is the pins wearing that makes the chain appear to stretch, and that can only be due to inadequate quality components or lack of lubrication. It’s worth noting that VAG has extensive history with the former via the 1.2TSi and the lower powered twin chargers.

• 5 weeks later...

I thought I’d quickly post about my experience with a fault on my VRS. 

EML light came on for the first time a month or so, took the car into the dealers and they diagnosed it as a stretched timing chain. This was replaced. 

Took the the car away, EML came back on. Took the car back in and they where asked to check the wiring (skoda HQ asked them to do this). Wiring all fine. 

They also replaced the camshaft position senor. 

I took the car again, and now the EML light has come back on. 

Car is with the dealership again. I think they are scratching their heads... 

what else could it be? 

• Like 1

If all fitted right now, plugs right, (all 4 out and checked properly) coils right, pipes /breather valve pipe back on, o rings sealed on Turbo Pipe, etc etc, and they never put fuel in, sitting in a Dealership, ticking over, getting sooted up etc, 

needs a fill of of 99 ron, taking for a careful warm up and then a blast.     

But then that is too simply,  many 'ifs' & buts before that. 

First one, does the Master Tech, Tech or fitter know their ars3 from their elbow.

Edited by AwaoffSki

• 2 weeks later...

So, hopefully someone will be able to provide some assistance? Any skoda / VW techs? 

Currently replaced: 

Timing Chain 

Camshaft position Sensor

Wiring from ECU to Camshaft Sensor

The fault that comes up is: P0016 

Anything else it could be?

Sorry not a clue, that is the Sensor Fault Code, 

They are the Technicians for the biggest or 2nd biggest car manufacturers in the worlds franchised workshops.

So Skoda / VW UK will need to call in some technical wizard and sort out the issue it seems.

Not like they do not know where to find one, maybe from their Motorsports Division...

• Thanks 1

Welcome.

I replied in that thread.

As to the timing chain possible issue with a CTHE you need to be aware of that, and be sure the technicians you deal with are as well, 

and it is not just dismissed if you think there might be a fault.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update. 

The dealer has now changed the Oil solenoid valve. 

It has been mentioned that every time the car has been with them since Oct 2017. It’s come back with a different fault. (Even though the warning light and basic OBD fault code is the same. 

• Like 1

'Triggers Broom',  so good,

Reminds me of the Johnny Cash song, 'One piece at a time'.

The Skoda / VW way, just keep replacing bits, eventually the problem is fixed or the owner just p!55es off and leaves us alone.

Edited by AwaoffSki