Will my spare wheel fit?

I have previously purchased a Skoda Spare Wheel kit for use in my 2014 -64 plate Superb 2.0TDI SE Business edition saloon.

I am due to take delivery of a new 2017 MY18 Skoda Superb 2.0TDI Mk3 SE Technology saloon - will the Spare wheel from my old car fit the new model, or do I have to buy a new Spare???

Many thanks

I have just bought a 66 plate TDI 2.0 Tech saloon that had no spare wheel, only an inflation kit.  Skoda dealer wanted £190 for a 205/55 R16 steel wheel which I thought was too much.  A few minutes on the interweb and I got a brand new wheel, tyre jack brace toe eye kit for £75 pound from a breaker.  It really is brand new and never been fitted.  I would never buy a part worn tyre but on this instance it isn't even part worn.  Anyway, fitted in a treat, plenty of space and the boot cover closes completely.

IMG_20170922_1839386.jpg

IMG_20170922_1839485.jpg

IMG_20170922_1840020.jpg

'Simply clever',  remembering that it is not even part worn but the tyre coming off will be and the 3 still on the car, 

even if using an identical sized spare that is reason to slow down, just as an un-matched sized Spare requires anyway.

• 1 year later...

I have a 2017 190 diesel hatch and I’m also looking to buy a spare wheel. I’ve had a quick look on eBay and generally on line and I’m a bit confused. The wheels on the car are 235/45/R18. There seem to be the following options for a spare:

205/55/R16 full size spare. 

125/70/R18 space saver.

125/70/R16 space saver. 

Using a tyre size comparison tool online, it seems like the full size 16” wheel would be the best option as it’s the closest size in diameter to the normal wheels. Followed by the 18” space saver and the worst match seems to be the 16” space saver. 

Now does anyone know if all of these options would fit in the boot well without leaving a hump in the boot carpet? Will the diameter of the larger spares fit in the hole? Would the OEM tool kit fit inside the full sized wheel?

1 hour ago, Kamikazekid said:

I have a 2017 190 diesel hatch and I’m also looking to buy a spare wheel. I’ve had a quick look on eBay and generally on line and I’m a bit confused. The wheels on the car are 235/45/R18. There seem to be the following options for a spare:

205/55/R16 full size spare. 

125/70/R18 space saver.

125/70/R16 space saver. 

Using a tyre size comparison tool online, it seems like the full size 16” wheel would be the best option as it’s the closest size in diameter to the normal wheels. Followed by the 18” space saver and the worst match seems to be the 16” space saver. 

Now does anyone know if all of these options would fit in the boot well without leaving a hump in the boot carpet? Will the diameter of the larger spares fit in the hole? Would the OEM tool kit fit inside the full sized wheel?

Did u not look/read the posts before urs?

9 hours ago, JR RS said:

Did u not look/read the posts before urs?

Of course. There’s talk of mk2, MK3, R15,R16...not to mention that the mk3 can come with various sized wheels as standard. I’m not sure if it’s a one size fits all thing or if you need a different spare depending on your alloy wheel size. I even went into TPS with part numbers from a different post and the guy in there wasn’t 100% convinced it was the right part for my car...and the wheel would have to go on back order with no delivery date. The full sized 16 threw me a bit as initially I thought I was looking for a space saver. Though I appreciate this is a space saver in a way as it is smaller than the 18” alloys. If the full sized 16” spare is the best and correct option for a mk3 with 18” alloys then that is the one I will buy. Obviously I want to be sure before parting with my cash. When I started looking I assumed it would be a simple question that had been asked 100 times before and there would be only one answer, hence my confusion when I started seeing different sized wheels all promising to be the correct one. 

10 hours ago, Gizmo said:

They come out the factory with 205/55/16” spare wheels and they fit under the carpet perfectly.

Oh really? Did they stop supplying a spare after a certain date then as mine only had a van of foam. Funnily enough the guy in TPS said there was a note on the system when he typed the part number in implying it would affect emissions. Perhaps Skoda needed to drop the weight of the car to hit an emission target? But then 2 mins later he said he wasn’t even sure it was the part for my car! :D I’m not sure he was the sharpest knife in the drawer. He made using a keyboard look difficult.

What you might want to know is does the Wheel / Tyre you take off the car fit in the spare tyre well, inflated or not inflated.

If you are travelling with Passengers and Luggage, so a full car and you need to fit the spare you still need to carry the wheel that your removed until you get it repaired or the tyre replaced.

• Thanks 2

focus on size of tire too
https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/442912-full-size-spare-wheel/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-5040470

On 16/04/2018 at 13:34, MartiniB said:

diameter comparison to 215/55r17 and 225/55r17:
205/55r16 _ -5.3% _ -6.7%, this huge size difference cancels usage of cruise control
205/65r16 _ +0.8% _ -0.7%, not tested yet

2 hours ago, Skoffski said:

What you might want to know is does the Wheel / Tyre you take off the car fit in the spare tyre well, inflated or not inflated.

If you are travelling with Passengers and Luggage, so a full car and you need to fit the spare you still need to carry the wheel that your removed until you get it repaired or the tyre replaced.

This is a good point that I hadn’t considered. For me personally it’s unlikely to be an issue especially with the superb’s generous boot. Worst case it could go in the huge gap between the wife’s seat and the rear seats. As for the original fitting in the tyre well; I assumed that was a definite no as I haven’t seen any posts about anyone carrying a 5th alloy, which (cost aside) would surely be the best option. 

A Proper Spare that matches the 4 on the car is 'Simply Clever' or a very good match that allows you to carry on without slowing down too much.

A spare might be an odd one out unless non directional, not green and not at a different pressure from the one on the otherside of the car.

If you ever carry a wheel / tyre in a car remember to deflate it.

Not sure if only happened once, but not an Internet Myth.

A BMW 2 seater driver i seem to remember it was had a bulge on a tyre, fitted a Space Saver but had no room for the wheel / tyre off the car and put it in the car and 

it exploded.

Not sure if a fatality or not with the passenger.   Maybe a google will show the news article.

EDIT.

Sadly she did die.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/8600833.stm

Screenshot 2019-03-13 at 12.17.36.png

Edited by Skoffski