Talk to me about Mk2 fl head-units

Most of the models I am looking at have the Bolero unit.

I saw one that had a unit with 4 buttons down each side but seemed to have a smaller screen.

Whats the best option to try to get.

Also, whats the SD card used for (music?) and whats the largest capacity accepted.

I have the Bolero and MDI. Its not perfection but pretty adequate for me.

The thing I miss most is a bluetooth interface but not so cheap as a retrofit unless you can find a second hand module at a good price.

The optional MDI has some advantages to the SD slot which i didnt appreciate at first. 

Beaware of file directory item limits with the SD slot. I tried with an 8GB card and then bought a 32GB but it was a waste of time as the 2048 file and dir item limit or whatever rendered the extra capacity useless in my case.

Edited by TheClient

17 hours ago, TheClient said:

I have the Bolero and MDI. Its not perfection but pretty adequate for me.

The thing I miss most is a bluetooth interface but not so cheap as a retrofit unless you can find a second hand module at a good price.

The optional MDI has some advantages to the SD slot which i didnt appreciate at first. 

Beaware of file directory item limits with the SD slot. I tried with an 8GB card and then bought a 32GB but it was a waste of time as the 2048 file and dir item limit or whatever rendered the extra capacity useless in my case.

interesting - I have about 9,000-10,000 songs on my sd and they all play fine, are you just dropping songs open onto the SD instead of folders and sub folders

1 minute ago, Gissin said:

interesting - I have about 9,000-10,000 songs on my sd and they all play fine, are you just dropping songs open onto the SD instead of folders and sub folders

Got to put them in folders on mine

5 minutes ago, S00perb said:

Got to put them in folders on mine

yeah as long as your root files do not go over 2048 which as long as you go root\1\2\3\ etc. then the limit is pretty much the card size:

Requirements for the MP3 data and data carrier
• CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW with a capacity of 650 MB and 700 MB.
• The CDs must correspond to the ISO 9660 Level 2 standard as well as the Joliet
data system (single and multi-session).
• Data names must be no longer than 64 characters.
• The list structure is restricted to a depth of 8 list levels.
• The name of the artist, the album and the title of the reproduced MP3 data can
be shown as ID3 tag, providing this information is available. The list and data name
will be displayed if there is no ID3 tag.
• Playlists are supported.
• WMA data (Windows Media Audio) can also be played even if the copyright is
additionally protected by the DRM procedure (Digital Rights Management). Such
WMA data is not supported by the unit.
Bit rate (data flow per time unit)
• The system supports MP3 data with bit rates of 32 to 320 KB/s as well as MP3
data with variable bit rates.
• The indicated playing time data with variable bit rates is not reliable.

(credit to theclient)

19 minutes ago, Gissin said:

Seems to be quite a well known limit with the Bolero.

Initially, before I researched properly,  I thought it was a limited to number of folders that was seen or the number items in folders (but I had kept this in the 200-300 item range max). Then with posts back from the thread I raised,  I realised it was a file / item limit that it wouldn't show anything past 2048 items (incl folder from memory), even if the tracks were scattered in some or even lots of folders and  the folder depth  kept to two or three deep. See the thread I started below but there are others as well that report issues accessing all content on large capacities.

Also, Vortex thread when the units were first released RCD510.

Maybe there is a firmware release that alters operation.  I don't have the problem with MDI and it has some other advantages for me as well like not needing to convert everything to MP3 as more formats are recognised natively.

FWIW, my scan extract for Bolero:

Address 56: Radio (J503)       Labels: 5M0-035-1xx-56.clb
   Part No SW: 1Z0 035 156 G    HW: 1Z0 035 156 G
   Component: BOLERO        015 0029  
   Revision: -----29S

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4489754

Edited by TheClient