Help me choose my first Fabia mk3 1.2tsi 90 or 1.0 110bhp SEL

EdHru

Well, if you have truly done your homework, and you still have your company car to drive, you should try giving them your sensible figure to buy that car, they can only say no and you can walk out of that dealership never to see them again, so no lose of face, if you have offered a sensible figure and started to walk, if it was low but not that low, they might just run after you and shake your hand.  I did that years ago when buying a new Ford Orion Ghia Injection, they just caught up with me before I got back into my car, so that worked okay, I thought that I had done my homework well enough and I was not desperate to buy a new car that day.  When I went in to place an order for my wife's new Polo 1.2TSI 110PS SEL 6MT, I had done lots of homework, including CARWOW, ORANGE WHEELS and another broker, so I spec'd up that car, added my buying price and handed a typed up version of that to the sales guy, within 15 minutes he shook my hand, so again it worked for me. New Polo coming and some dealers will be holding old stock, might be worth asking what they can get for you at your price? Be assertive but friendly and courteous.

Edit:- I'd be the first to admit that we don't always follow our sensible plans though, when I was looking for my current car, I might just have bought it if it had only two or three wheels on it!

Edited by rum4mo

This is the on from Wirral 

https://www.inchcape-volkswagen.co.uk/vehicles/polo/polo-10-sel/polo-10-sel-da66tfz-3010908/

Is this Tsi engine, in specifications only mentioned coin series being SEL model 1.0 110bhp? the rear badge is only Bluemotion one. While the 1.2 SEL cars that they are also selling clearly indicate Tsi. I am the old school TDi person. if someone could please just clarify glance their expert eye over the technical specifications for me I would be very grateful.

So what is the difference between this engine and Tsi one?

Edited by EdHru

Have a look at Parkers car price guide to get an idea of the realistic purcase price of the car.  Use this in your negotiations with the dealer.  Never appear to be too positive about the car and search out any problems and minor niggles you can find.  In short, you have to be as cute and cheeky as the dealer.  Don't commit there and then.  Tell them you have other cars to look at and wait a few days to see if they come back with a better offer.  And don't be fooled by them saying someone else is interested in the car.  If it goes it goes.  There are more cars out there than car buyers but any dealer will tell you quite the opposite. 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2017 at 21:26, EdHru said:

This is the on from Wirral 

https://www.inchcape-volkswagen.co.uk/vehicles/polo/polo-10-sel/polo-10-sel-da66tfz-3010908/

Is this Tsi engine, in specifications only mentioned coin series being SEL model 1.0 110bhp? the rear badge is only Bluemotion one. While the 1.2 SEL cars that they are also selling clearly indicate Tsi. I am the old school TDi person. if someone could please just clarify glance their expert eye over the technical specifications for me I would be very grateful.

So what is the difference between this engine and Tsi one?

The 1.2 tsi is a 4 cylinder engine and the 1.0 tsi is a 3 cylinder engine. TSI turbocharged stratified injection. 

SEL options on a Polo will differ to a Fabia, so look to see what kit is being offered on each model. A new SEL Fabia 1.0 TSI 110 in metallic paint is around £16200  list price 

23 hours ago, nbramwel said:

Have a look at Parkers car price guide to get an idea of the realistic purcase price of the car.  Use this in your negotiations with the dealer.  Never appear to be too positive about the car and search out any problems and minor niggles you can find.  In short, you have to be as cute and cheeky as the dealer.  Don't commit there and then.  Tell them you have other cars to look at and wait a few days to see if they come back with a better offer.  And don't be fooled by them saying someone else is interested in the car.  If it goes it goes.  There are more cars out there than car buyers but any dealer will tell you quite the opposite. 

Hi all, just a quick update. went to Cheshire Oaks with the wife and while she was spending money I nipped to Wirral VW to have a look at the Polo. really nice car, 3,5k miles on the clock. went for a test drive, identical inside as my curent outgoing polo SEL spec but just petrol engine. came back to the dealership sat around the table to negotiate the price. Well this was a eye opener to behonest, I never faced a such a push for a pcp finance despite teling the sales guy politely that I have no interest in finance deal. then suddenly the sales manager turns up to introduce him self...to cut the story short they wouldn't budge on the price he sad the best price he could do is a £50 off and a tankfull of petrol and that's it as they would be making a substantial loss.

This was such a ploy between them, good guy bad guy as I read on other forum on Briskoda, the scenario was identical, it's just like a script. the car is for 12,695, and in farenes it's a really nice car couple of minor scufs on the side bumper which they said it will get sorted out by them. I said that it's slightly over the budget and I offered 12,400 and they declined, thanked them and I walked away then they offered 12,500 suddenly and I declined. so no car purchase. wife is really mad at me for not finishing a car hunting saga. 

They also stade that this is a former VW UK car came to them in June. the car would be a year old in October with 3,600 miles on the clock. low milage i wouldn't think that it would be ex rental car or similar, but who knows.

Wow I was amazed at the sales tactics as I have never expected this before its like a script what other people said.

Mrs Goldfingers 15 plate ( June 2015 Registered ) Fabia MKIII 1.2L SE-L (110 bhp, ) will be coming up for sale within the next 2 weeks. It's white, less than 8K miles just had a service, 6 speed gearbox and is very good on MPG. Alloys are in tip top condition, no kerbing, no dings, scratches, dents on the body, 215/45/16 bridgestone tyres still with plenty of tread. The car is on Skoda Finance and we owe around £9500. ( I can get the exact amount tomorrow ) If your interested you can have it for what we owe on it.  

I'll even leave the front Dash cam in and the road tax is only £20 per year. 

If I get the dealer to pay off the finance as a sale to them they will stick it on there forecourt with a large mark up.

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

4 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Mrs Goldfingers 15 plate ( June 2015 Registered ) Fabia MKIII 1.2L SE-L will be coming up for sale within the next 2 weeks. It's white, less than 8K miles just had a service, 6 speed gearbox andis very good on MPG. Alloys are in tip top condition, no kerbing, no dings, scratches, dents on the body, 215/45/16 bridgestone tyres still with plenty of tread. The car is on Skoda Finance and we owe around £9500. If your interested you can have it for what we owe on it.  

I'll even leave the front Dash cam in and the road tax is only £20 per year. 

If I get the dealer to pay off the finance as a sale to them they will stick it on there forecourt with a large mark up.

hmmm, i will check with Mrs. EdHru, can you please private msg me some details, where abouts are you and if possible some photos please. so it has 1 yr left of warranty?

I'm curious about that Polo SEL, I would have expected it to have auto lights, though maybe I spec'd that up on my wife's Polo SEL, as it has the bigger ATE front brakes and 6MT it must be the 110PS version - not that any of this matters I suppose as the sales style was a bit iffy!

4 hours ago, EdHru said:

'They would be making a substantial loss'.

This is one of those Jim Royle moments that I can't put into print on this forum - substantial loss my ****.  They will be making at least £1k straight profit on this car, probably more.  Walk away and look elsewhere.  The offer from Auric Goldfinger seems attractive and you have an element of peace of mind that the car has come from someone on this forum.  I would follow this up before someone else buys it.

Just spoke to Mr. Goldfinger, top bloke and some invaluable advice provided, really appreciated and big tanks.

Also just received a call from VW Wirral, they are willing to come down in price a bit now, hahaha after their stinking attitude yesterday. Hmm so substantial loss is no more. Asked them to confirm who the registered keeper of the car is, and they sent me a scanned V5 indicating:

VW Group Ltd

Po Box 76

125 Heyford Park

Camp Road

Bicester

OX25 5YL

and apparently the car was used by an employee??

• Like 1

Not such a substantial loss then on a car that the HMRC / UK Tax Payers gave tax breaks on since they had to have it for 3 months / 3,000 miles as a demonstrator, 

just the salesperson bonus before Christmas taking a hit and less profit for the Dealership Group.

So no shedding of tears for the Sales Executives and worries about not meeting targets, it will be another sale for them.

21 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Not such a substantial loss then on a car that the HMRC / UK Tax Payers gave tax breaks on since they had to have it for 3 months / 3,000 miles as a demonstrator, 

just the salesperson bonus before Christmas taking a hit and less profit for the Dealership Group.

So no shedding of tears for the Sales Executives and worries about not meeting targets, it will be another sale for them.

Please forgive me but I don't understand your comments. i would be grateful if you could just clarify. do you mean that they are being greedy?

Always greedy, but then that is the business they are in.

Demonstrators / Ex Management cars are a nice profit maker / perk for dealerships and employees.

One registered keeper, but then that can be many drivers, even me or you, and i know how i treat demonstrators, just like i treat hire cars.

No warming up, and no sparing the horses, 

so have them do an oil and filter change, and check those brake discs.

The Oil & Filter change does not require them changing the service indicator if the car is on Fixed Servicing 9,400 miles / 372 days,

the first free Service can be when the car is 12 months old still....

Edited by Headinawayoffski

16 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Always greedy, but then that is the business they are in.

Demonstrators / Ex Management cars are a nice profit maker / perk for dealerships and employees.

One registered keeper, but then that can be many drivers, even me or you, and i know how i treat demonstrators, just like i treat hire cars.

No warming up, and no sparing the horses, 

so have them do an oil and filter change, and check those brake discs.

The Oil & Filter change does not require them changing the service indicator if the car is on Fixed Servicing 9,400 miles / 372 days,

the first free Service can be when the car is 12 months old still....

aha, now this makes sense, many thanks :)

Guys does this v5 ring any alarm bells regarding the previous owner/keeper, I am getting my self well now confused with this thing owner, keeper, is it ex rental,  demo car etc, especially after reading that some members have been conned into buying ex rental Mr. Hertz cars and similar.

Many thanks for all of your imput so far on this topic, it's really appreciated.

-1589649044.pdf

I am not sure from the V5 that you can tell what the car has been used for other than VW were the registered keeper. It could well have been a demonstrator or a management fleet car or a something like that. You cannot tell from the V5 how many drivers have driven it. If you are anxious about the history, maybe this is not the car for you.

On 20/09/2017 at 13:18, Headinawayoffski said:

Good. If all is well, then swell.

As long as she never run Driving School or Car Hire Company.

Amazing how often Mrs. or Mr. xx xx xx is the Finance Director, or Company Secretary or just the lady that works in the office, 

but then thats the way the UK Car Trade has been for decades.

You know they lie when their lips move.

this video springs to mind