Snobbery

I was driving the mrs around in my new Sportline 190 dsg in quartz grey. The Mrs noticed I was getting loving looks from an audi driver beside me. He looked rather perplexed as to what brand this car was .

He smiled ( unusual I know) , glared approvingly ,,, until he seen the badge. Its as if someone made him swallow a large bar of carbolic soap.

Ha ha I say to myself. Your A6 entry level exec saloon has F all kit compared to this and he paid substantially more

Any you guys still seeing brand and badge snobbery. When people ask me what my new car is , they often look for me to apologise and say " I know its a Skoda but its got big wheels and tech coming out its tits".

F-all apologies , the best car I have driven. Better than my 2013 3 series.

I would say the interior of an Audi A6 has better quality for sure but it's getting old and due for replacement. The future direction for the A6 will follow more closely the new A8 than the current A4.

I have an A3 saloon and soon to be replaced by a Superb. Quality comparable I'd say. I had a demo Superb for a week so swapped between the two cars to compare. 

And the quartz grey looks similar to Audi's S-Line only Daytona grey which I have which is pearlescent and not metallic.

I've really liked this A3 saloon and I hope the Superb is at least as good.

I cleaned a couple of BMW 5 Series the other week. A 535d E60 and a 520i F10, another 530 E60 came and the owners were admiring the clean cars and comparing penis engine size and power. 

imKkAWPl.jpg

q6tOgKdl.jpg

They looked at Piglet. 

They admired the styling and said it must be a 2 litre because of it's size. One couldn't believe it was a 1.4TSi and has 148bhp. 

They admired the massive boot. Another said 'check out the rear legroom. 

It was a great feeling watching three guys drooling over her. 

cJK8od1l.jpg

• Like 2

It still happens because a lot of people  only know what the badge tells them, and know sweet fanny adams about the cars.

Its a sign of the times unfortunately, people are so hung up about labels/badges they think they are better because they have the trending  possessions.

• Like 1

I came from a 2013 Superb in elegance trim to a BMW 335d MSport.

While the Beemer is an excellent motor and that torque will be hugley missed, i'm going back to a new Superb L&K simply because the level of bells and whistles knocks the socks off the beemer which is worth 10k more!

Going to miss that engine though....

9 hours ago, Greezy56 said:

Any you guys still seeing brand and badge snobbery. When people ask me what my new car is , they often look for me to apologise and say " I know its a Skoda but its got big wheels and tech coming out its tits".

F-all apologies , the best car I have driven. Better than my 2013 3 series.

To be fair most people have reacted favourably  when told of the Skodas arrival....... but I do live on Teesside.

Straight talking folk up here.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gross9661 said:

To be fair most people have reacted favourably  when told of the Skodas arrival....... but I do live on Teesside.

Straight talking folk up here.

Well they know their onions.  How many other towns/cities do you see Octy vRS taxi's?!....ahead of the game in Boro. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr Grump said:

It still happens because a lot of people  only know what the badge tells them, and know sweet fanny adams about the cars.

Its a sign of the times unfortunately, people are so hung up about labels/badges they think they are better because they have the trending  possessions.

Well said :thumbup:.  People seem to have less and less interest in cars these days generally and will often judge a car based purely on superficial details with little appreciation of what makes a decent all-round car.  The badge throws people a lot and I often get people asking if it is Audi or Beemer, thinking it most be one of those brands as they tend to associate the more imposing look, the cream leather, automatic etc with what they consider to be a premium car.  I suppose that type of perception can also work to Skoda's benefit (with the SIII anyway) as some drivers will buy based almost entirely on looks alone.  The herd mentality is certainly alive and well in the motor industry!

2 minutes ago, Superb170 said:

... as some drivers will buy based almost entirely on looks alone.

I moved from a 2008 Alfa Romeo Brera. I bought that car purely based on its looks.

The looks of the SIII are certainly what first caught my attention. Then, the glowing reviews and reliability record. Then, the price.

So, not too shallow, I hope.

It is possible to like the Superb for its looks.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, freelunch said:

I moved from a 2008 Alfa Romeo Brera. I bought that car purely based on its looks.

The looks of the SIII are certainly what first caught my attention. Then, the glowing reviews and reliability record. Then, the price.

So, not too shallow, I hope.

It is possible to like the Superb for its looks.

Ah yes of course the looks can be a big factor but having owned an Alfa you're obviously have some broader appreciation of cars as well!

5 hours ago, penguin17 said:

Well they know their onions.  How many other towns/cities do you see Octy vRS taxi's?!....ahead of the game in Boro. 

Teesside.. a cut above.... we know quality when we see it.... to us Skodas are real posh like.

I wonder what the opinion would be if Škoda had stuck with the proper logo, i.e. the green arrow-wing symbol which was introduced in the 90s. And also green backlighting to the instruments etc.? Personally I prefer the more subdued version that's a silver arrow and the white backlighting.

Skoda-logo-2-500x375.jpg

One taxi driver we saw in Greece had covered up all of the logos on the front/rear, wheels and steering wheel with plain black of his Skoda mark 2. He obviously didn't like the green logo/emblem ;)

Edited by rtj70

17 hours ago, Svend said:

q6tOgKdl.jpg

My E60 Msport was in that Silver Grey Metallic,  - lovely car it was for 100k miles in 6 years...

Best car i have never owned i would say.... until everything started going wrong on it...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bud said:

Worth 10 k more or costs 10k more.  The 2 are very different and that my friend is the problem we have in life.  Some people know the cost of everything and the value of nothing :wondering:

Music to my ears Bud. Your ancestors must have hailed from Teesside.   

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Bud said:

Not quite mate but from one of the Ridings:

886px-West_Riding_Flag.svg.png

Ah.... another of the chosen lands. You must feel truly blessed my friend. 

Middlesbrough  has now been returned  to North Yorkshire, and so it is written,  that the  Smoggies are doubly blessed . And, there was peace throughout the land....forsooth.

54 minutes ago, 100andthirty said:

I had one person ask me about my new Vauxhall. I felt quite insulted

I had a guy question why mine had more bells and wistles and chrome than his Vauxhall - he was seriously upset when he saw the leg room in the back - it was if his whole world of what is right and wrong had been tipped upside-down. When he heard the price - he just lost it!!

But aren't we displaying just a touch of inverted snobbery by thumbing the beemer, VW and audi owners?

I have to admit not being able to avoid just sitting and looking very smug whenever the question of 'what is that you are driving?' arises.

I am trying to resist honest B)B)B)

• Like 1

On 9/23/2017 at 15:14, S00perb said:

I had a guy question why mine had more bells and wistles and chrome than his Vauxhall - he was seriously upset when he saw the leg room in the back - it was if his whole world of what is right and wrong had been tipped upside-down. When he heard the price - he just lost it!!

I had a guy in work question me ordering a Skoda as it was, you know, a Skoda.  He buys a brand new Vauxhall Astra every three years.  I told him that in my view Vauxhall had slipped way down past Skoda in basically every measure possible (actually, they have probably stayed still and Skoda gone up and up).  I thought he might actually cry.  The depreciation is phenomenal.  A lease on an equivalent Insignia estate was at least £100 per month more, for much less car.  Most lease companies won't even offer them it seems

The New Superb looks super good. That´s not the question. And when you compare the last generation A6 to the S3 , then in my opinion the S3 looks better.

But that does not change the fact, that Audi´s build quality is far more superior, the same goes for BMW and all premiums. 

I have owned my "new" Superb for nearly two years. The car always looks good. But, tbh the build quality sucks. A lot of different rattles throughout the year. Every season has its special.

And thats sad, overall the car is good and enjoyable, but still the rattle´s shouldnt be there. My previous car was a B6 A6 and even in the time when the car was already 7 years old there weren´t any really troubling rattles to deal with.

But with Skoda its different and what is the worst part, is that the dealer does not know how to handle them.

16 minutes ago, inaaris said:

My previous car was a B6 A6 and even in the time when the car was already 7 years old there weren´t any really troubling rattles to deal with.

+1

even Hyundai Sonata 2009 after the first 7 years was much quieter

Regarding snobbery - when I told my uncle that I'm buying a Skoda he was like "What made you choose a Skoda?". I think he still remembers times when he drove an old Favorit model in the 90-ties. When I mentioned the price he said "For that kind of money I would've chosen something else" and was really surprised when I told him that I liked Superb more than a 3 series, Jaguar XE or Lexus IS.

However, few weeks later, when I showed him my brand new car he was really impressed with the size, perceived quality and looks of it and was like "It's very elegant. It doesn't look like a Skoda!".

Most of the people I tell I drive a Skoda tend to think "oh, ok, a Skoda - a boring, reasonable choice" (hard to blame them for that opinion as Skoda is the most popular car brand in Poland) but I enjoy noticing a change on their faces when they actually see the car.

• Like 1