Limp mode on start up

AaronLister

Hi, new to the diesel/pd130 world! I recently bought a mk1 SE Fabia vrs, I have been told it's around 200bhp. No printout to prove, I bought it from a friend though. 

The modifications this has are; PD150 turbo, darkside fmic, darkside hard pipes, egr delete, straight through standard exhaust, 312mm brakes and 256mm rears, new clutch and flywheel (unsure on what brand) and a remap that is copied off his PD160 hybrid Ibiza cupra that he had. 

Now if I start the car how it should be done, turning the key, waiting for the lights to go out then starting up, it sometimes starts in limp mode (no boost). 

However if I turn the key so the lights go out, flick it back off then turn the car on straight away it starts up fine. He told me it was cos the map sensor doesn't calibrate properly at first. 

Can anyone else help me out with this please?

i don't want to be driving the car if it's going to damage it. 

Also, should I take it to somewhere like Narco or ##!!##h for a fresh remap putting on? 

I need help 

IMG_1450.JPG

P0236 code definition

Turbocharger Boost Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance

What the P0236 code means

P0236 is an OBD-II generic code that is triggered when the Engine Control Module (ECM) detects the intake boost pressure sensor A input circuit range or performance is out of specifications when compared to the manifold pressure sensor (MAP) or the barometric pressure sensor (BARO) at idle and with the key on, engine off, before starting.

What causes the P0236 code?

The turbo boost pressure sensor does not correlate the same reading with the MAP or BARO sensors at engine idle or when the key is on and the engine is off.

The turbo boost pressure sensor A is contaminated or clogged with debris or carbon deposits

The turbo boost pressure sensor A is slow to respond to changing pressure due to deterioration with age

What are the symptoms of the P0236 code?

The Check Engine Light will be illuminated and the code set

The engine turbo boost may be turned off by the ECM and the engine will lack power

The engine may lack some power during acceleration if the boost sensor is failing to register the correct amount of boost pressure

How does a mechanic diagnose the P0236 code?

Scans codes and documents the freeze frame data in order to verify the problem

Clears the codes to verify whether the concern comes back

Checks the operation of the boost pressure sensor compared to the MAP sensor

Checks the turbo boost sensor for blockage of the sensor port, or boost sensor hose or line

Checks the turbo boost sensor connector for loose or corroded pins

Common mistakes when diagnosing the P0236 code?

Follow these simple guidelines to prevent misdiagnosis:

Check the boost pressure sensor hose for obstructions or kinks

Verify the connections to the sensor are secure and not leaking, kinked or cracked

How serious is the P0236 code?

The boost pressure in the intake can give you a lot of power. If the turbo boost sensor is out of range or having performance problems, then the ECM may disable the turbo boost on some vehicles that only have the one sensor; this could cause the vehicle to have a lack of power on acceleration.

What repairs can fix the P0236 code?

Replacing the boost sensor if it is not giving the correct input pressure reading to the ECM

Repairing or replacing hoses and connections to the turbo boost sensor that have kinks or blockage of the lines

Additional comments for consideration regarding the P0236 code

Code P0236 is triggered by the intake boost sensor indicating a range or performance problem that the ECM determines is out of known specifications. The most common failure is boost sensor slow response due to performance issues.

22 minutes ago, AaronLister said:

EDIT: the car has not got an EGR delete. 

Could getting an EGR delete help the problem? 

Also, where is the MAP sensor please?

No.

The map needs re-doing correctly to suit that engine rather than a different car, it's also likely that the MAP sensor is the original 4 bar sensor and doesn't quite have enough headroom for the bigger turbo.

Just now, sepulchrave said:

No.

The map needs re-doing correctly to suit that engine rather than a different car, it's also likely that the MAP sensor is the original 4 bar sensor and doesn't quite have enough headroom for the bigger turbo.

I was told by narco, dark side and derv tech that the original map sensor will be more than enough for a pd150 turbo. 

So should I do the egr delete and get a map suited for my engine put on?

1 hour ago, AaronLister said:

I was told by narco, dark side and derv tech that the original map sensor will be more than enough for a pd150 turbo. 

So should I do the egr delete and get a map suited for my engine put on?

You don't need an EGR delete, I already said you don't, this fault is nothing whatsoever to do with the EGR valve.

Just get the remap done properly and all will be well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sepulchrave said:

You don't need an EGR delete, I already said you don't, this fault is nothing whatsoever to do with the EGR valve.

Just get the remap done properly and all will be well.

Where would you recommend to go for a remap? I'm from Wakefield, West Yorkshire. Don't mind travelling for a good, proper map though 

3 minutes ago, AaronLister said:

Where would you recommend to go for a remap? I'm from Wakefield, West Yorkshire. Don't mind travelling for a good, proper map though 

No idea, I'm from the Southeast, you're somewhere up near the Arctic circle, a local Eskimo should be along shortly.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, vindaloo said:

I'd start with the MAP sensor wiring and the seating of the MAP sensor into it's fitting. It all gets changed around when fitting an FMIC.

Where will the map sensor be please? I honestly know very little about them. I'm more into my motorbikes so I don't know a lot about cars haha