Smartlink and IOS 11

Are you using original Apple cables? I've had very poor results with some using CarPlay in various cars, even though they all claim MFI etc.

Original Apple ones and, currently, the 10cm Amazon Basics one, are much more reliable. Anker, Belkin and various ones from EBuyer have varied form 'most of the time' to 'ha! no chance'. They work for charging/data just fine though, just CarPlay seems to be a problem.

1 hour ago, juux said:

Are you using original Apple cables? I've had very poor results with some using CarPlay in various cars, even though they all claim MFI etc.

Original Apple ones and, currently, the 10cm Amazon Basics one, are much more reliable. Anker, Belkin and various ones from EBuyer have varied form 'most of the time' to 'ha! no chance'. They work for charging/data just fine though, just CarPlay seems to be a problem.

I did try another cable earlier, made no difference. I've got a few cables kicking around, a mix of genuine & approved. Will try again tomorrow, see if I have any luck.

My problems continue with IOS 11 onwards and my Skoda Superb - I can use Apple Car Play without issue at all, but there are clear compatibility issues between IOS 11 onwards & my iPhone 6 and the Skoda native OS. 

Interestingly, one of the messages I received on my phone as an explanation for the 'USB Read Error' display on the screen was unable to use two accessories at a time - and it seems other Apple Users are having the problem with their iPhones in their cars following the upgrade to IOS 11 - whilst this doesn't prove that this is an issue exclusive to SKODA, there does seem to be a general issue out there which has yet to be remedied. However, the fact that Apple Car Play works perferctly unlike the native car system does suggest  underlying compatibility issues: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8082597?start=0&tstart=0

On ‎02‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 15:42, kinega said:

Having same problem here, Iphone 6 & 2017 Octavia. Worked lovely on IOS10 & now wont work at all. Just updated to 11.2 today in the hope that would cure but sadly not.

I've deleted my car from settings>carplay & it won't detect again.

Fudging rubbish :(

Still the same here too. Was hoping iOS 11.2 might improve matters but sadly to no avail!

Seems Skoda may need to update their software to resolve issues between my iPhone 6 and iOS 11.

It is so frustrating as it changes the drivers experience that one bought the car for in first instance.

Has anyone formally logged this with Skoda yet?

I've had all sorts of Bluetooth problems after upgrading to IOS 11 when previously they had been rock steady stable. After doing a network reset on the iphone I've not had any problems. WiFi connections had to be remade but the Bluetooth ones just started working again.

I’ve got my car play working again. I turned my phone off, plugged into the car & allowed that to boot the phone. The phone was then able to find my car & allow it to connect. 

However it now appears to have lost the BT connection. If I disconnect the USB cable the phone happily connects via BT. 

Wish I had never bothered with the iOS 11 update, apart from issues with car connection the phone is so slow to do anything now. I am going to try wiping the phone & reinstalling to see if that will improve things.

3 hours ago, kinega said:

However it now appears to have lost the BT connection. If I disconnect the USB cable the phone happily connects via BT. 

I think that's normal behaviour - mine's always done it. It makes sense I would have thought - why maintain the BT connection when using Carplay via USB?

9 hours ago, CheshireBumpkin said:

I think that's normal behaviour - mine's always done it. It makes sense I would have thought - why maintain the BT connection when using Carplay via USB?

Does make sense now I think about it, doesn’t explain why it used to but we will see how it behaves now. Many thanks

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I appreciate that this is an old thread but I have been having got same issue with a Bolero on a new Yeti, smart link activated and which previously worked seamlessly.

My iPhone and my wife both run iOS12. 

I changed leads but no joy

It affected two different phones

I ended up reseting the Bolero by holding down the power key for 10s. 

This worked and all iOS devices work again.

Hope this helps someone. 

Sound quality through CarPlay is ****e compared to Bluetooth on mine. BT gives much more volume and I can control the sound whereas CarPlay takes over with apples crappy equaliser.

I also need to have 2 phones connected so BT is the better option all round, even though CarPlay does work fine with my my18 and iPhone 8

I updated to ios 12.1 on my iPhone 6 just so I could use Google maps through car play. Works a treat now, and the phone runs a lot faster too! Only thing I can't figure out is how to refresh the route if you want to know the current traffic situation without having to go back and re-input your destination...