How important is 5 year cam belt / water pump change?

On 04/10/2017 at 17:37, Gdcobra said:

Because I'd don't have time to prat around and I'm choosy who I do business with.

Which is fine as long as you aren't bothered in getting the best price.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, silver1011 said:

:D

Briskoda does attract some very strange folk!

What, like the sort who claim not to have time to ring around to negotiate best prices, but can waste their valuable time arguing on Internet forums?

Presumably time rich AND money rich.

• Like 1

For information I have just had my cam belt changed at 41k miles - 5 years 2012 car.

My usual trustworthy mobile mechanic did it for £130

It took a few hours and I opted to just change the belt based on the low mileage.

he checked that the other parts were not obviously worn.

• Like 1

Had the cambelt kit and waterpump changed at an independent workshop a week ago. 2011 car, around 215 000KM on the clock. The belt looked good according to the mechanics.

They put red coolant in the car. Didn't notice before they had already closed for the weekend. As a Sunday project, I drained the red stuff and poured in purple G13.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2017 at 07:11, TLV said:

Had the cambelt kit and waterpump changed at an independent workshop a week ago. 2011 car, around 215 000KM on the clock. The belt looked good according to the mechanics.

They put red coolant in the car. Didn't notice before they had already closed for the weekend. As a Sunday project, I drained the red stuff and poured in purple G13.

Keen to hear your reasons for G13. It better not be because it matches your eyes :D

1 hour ago, williamshatnerspants said:

Keen to hear your reasons for G13. It better not be because it matches your eyes :D

As far as I've read, the common red coolant and G12 coolant are the nearly if not the same. Both based on ethylene glycol and phosphate, borate, silicate, nitrite, amine free. At least the decent stuff should be such. Depends on the manufacturer what they put in (or don't) for anti-freezing, anti-corrosion, wear resistance and such.

G13 is practically the same as G12++, but based on glycerin instead of glycol to be more environmentally friendly.
G12 should be red, G12+ and G12++ pink and G13 violet.

When it comes to my Superb, the coolant that has come out of it has looked new. No idea how long it had been in the car when I got it or which one it was (probably G12 from the factory). The reservoir looks new as well. When the thermostat was changed, the VW specific independent put in G13. Fluids are cheaper than replacement parts and I've already bought way too many for my Superb. Just to be sure it's as good as it gets, I put in the stuff that's supposed to be there, not the one that "should be fine". Just changed the oil at 8500km. I've done plenty of oil changes and it didn't look so well. More like it had done twice the mileage. Probably because the old thermostat was reluctant to close and the engine ran colder than it was supposed to.

Wouldn't be so bad having purple eyes. :blush

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TLV said:

As far as I've read, the common red coolant and G12 coolant are the nearly if not the same. Both based on ethylene glycol and phosphate, borate, silicate, nitrite, amine free. At least the decent stuff should be such. Depends on the manufacturer what they put in (or don't) for anti-freezing, anti-corrosion, wear resistance and such.

G13 is practically the same as G12++, but based on glycerin instead of glycol to be more environmentally friendly.
G12 should be red, G12+ and G12++ pink and G13 violet.

When it comes to my Superb, the coolant that has come out of it has looked new. No idea how long it had been in the car when I got it or which one it was (probably G12 from the factory). The reservoir looks new as well. When the thermostat was changed, the VW specific independent put in G13. Fluids are cheaper than replacement parts and I've already bought way too many for my Superb. Just to be sure it's as good as it gets, I put in the stuff that's supposed to be there, not the one that "should be fine". Just changed the oil at 8500km. I've done plenty of oil changes and it didn't look so well. More like it had done twice the mileage. Probably because the old thermostat was reluctant to close and the engine ran colder than it was supposed to.

Wouldn't be so bad having purple eyes. :blush

Great information thanks.

We must have G12++ in ours after the recent cam belt change.