How important is 5 year cam belt / water pump change?

Had my MOT / brake fluid change and was told the cam belt and water pump was now due for replacement as for 5 years old even though mileage not hit. 

I have had car for just over 1 year and mileage now stands at 90k. 

Is this a priority issue? 

Edited by newskodadriver

Iit is standard to have it done. You do not have to have the water pump done but as the front end is exposed (I did have the water pump replaced at the same time) it is just common sense to have the WP done at the same time because it is only the cost of the pump to be added.

It is time or mileage, which ever comes first. If you do not and the cam belt does let go then you bill could be significantly higher.

I negotiated with the dealer and paid £389 all in. Some dealers seem to want to charge their own price and may have to be reminded that there are fixed rates for these tasks. It was thus price that I negotiated.

Takes time to type with one finger.

Edited by Danny 57

Not worth the risk, fella I work with left his a few hundred miles, belt went and needs a new engine on his focus. I always change pump too whether 5 years or mileage, sooner the better. Recently had the superb done, water pump went and changed belts etc cost 325 all in at an independent garage, covered under 1 year warranty when I bought the car, so lucky enough

Edited by dudec

Any parts you pay for or make a contribution to the work/ parts fitted carry a 2 year Parts/labour guarantee from the dealer. If the Independent garage charges £325 all in for one years guarantee and the dealer wants £389 I'd pay the extra for the extra year guarantee.

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

Do not take any chances. My waterpump burst on 98000km totally unexpected one morning. Warning light went red after 2 meters and no water left in the container. Just do it, wont save you mney in the long run. Do all belts at the same time. And the pulleys. That was on a 2010 model Superb Elegance 2.0 tdi DSg.

Edited by Plutoidefix
  • Like 1

Changing belts at given deadlines is as important as changing the oil.

Over time belts go brittle. I had my belt inspected when the thermostat was changed. Was told visually it looked fine, but it definitely hasn't been replaced. Even if the car has had 0 miles done since new, the belt has to be changed when the time comes. It can snap with no warning and if it does, you'll be looking at from a couple hours' workshop time to an engine replacement.

A couple hours ago I called a workshop to book a time for a belt kit and waterpump replacement. The waterpump is the cheapest item and usually doesn't add any workshop time to the bill, so it's not really worth skimping on.

• Like 1

Double check the pump and cam have not been done. I am a little surprised it has got to that mileage without the pump going. My pump went at about 2 years and 60k

A few hundred pounds spent now could save you thousands later on if the cambelt breaks with the resulting carnage and huge expense.

My water pump went at about 70k miles so before the cambelt was due - I had them both renewed at the same time.

Don't play Russian roulette with your cambelt and water pump - you could live to regret it.

• Like 2

I changed mine at 6 years with around 55,000 miles on the clock, the belt looked in good condition. My Land Cruiser belt is due changed at 150,000km, it looked new when changed. So to say a belt will break just after the alloted time/milage has passed is not true, it is advisory and for peace of mind get it changed. In Spain where I kept my car for a number of years there is no time limit only by milage. Each region sets it's own limits, and one reason given for 5 years is the greater temperature fluctuations in N Europe compared to S Europe.

I'm now back in Scotland and so changed my belt hence the 6 years.

• Like 1

FYI, I'm at 7 years and 100,000 miles and about to have the belt done for the first time. While  Skoda UK recommends the time/mileage change, other markets can be different. Here in NZ its 180,000kms, no time limit. I think a mileage and time limit is more sensible.

I will post a photo of the water pump and belt once complete as I am interested in their condition.

• Like 1

Don't be fooled by anyone telling you otherwise. Not one decent mechanic will guarantee your belt lasting more than 5 years. Anything beyond that is borrowed time. The belt might last 7-8 years and even more, but it can also snap at any given time, even if it looks alright. They're supposed to look alright. Something is very wrong is they don't. If they're rubbing against a cover or get some oil on them, they will perish significantly faster. Rubber and rubber-like materials become brittle over time. Same reason you don't want tires that have been sitting in a warehouse for five years, even if they're cheap.

Are you a gambler? That's up to you. If you shop around, it's not an expensive job, yet it's as important as changing your oil. Just that the more you postpone your oil change, the more you'll reduce your engines potential future life. Postponing a cambelt change is fine until it snaps. Then you might be looking for a new engine.

I've been handed belts over the counter that I've handed right back because of defects. The very reason this question has arisen is because people want to spend just right on their maintenance. Because cheap is what people are after, the most common belts offered at local parts stores are the cheapest ones and that's all they may have in stock. That's also a reason I like to shop parts online. For just a few quid more or even the same price delivered you can get brand name parts. There can be huge differences in quality, even at the exact same price. Decent workshops can also charge more for parts you see online, because they opt to install brands they trust, instead of going for the cheapest one.

---

Remember, the cam belt is only one part in the equation. There are also rollers and tensioners. At one point the belt looks fine, the next a roller fails and you'll have the belt wear out in weeks.

Also, there's a reason they're almost always done with the water pump included.

Edited by TLV
  • Like 4

Skoda Ireland recommend the timing belt be done at 210,000 km with no age stipulation. This is also the change interval specified in Skoda's service manual (which I purchased through erWin) for all markets. They only specify a shorter interval for vehicles operated in "dust-rich countries", at 120,000 km.

One wonders if it's a money making effort at times to recommend shorter intervals.

Certainly in the past there was good reason for considering a belt change earlier due to material degradation or the risk of roller or tensioner failure. Whether that's still true or not I don't know; material technology has come on a lot in recent decades.

The best option is to follow Skoda or the importer's specification, and if it fails you've got recourse through them.

• Like 2

Hi everyone. Here in Turkey the service requires the change of timing belt every 4 year or 120000 km whichever is reached earlier.  I do not understand why there is such a big difference with UK. 

My superb is at 890000 km. yesterday morning I had the warning message to check coolant fluid.  when I checked the container was almost empty. I topped up something like 1 lt. 

Then take  the car to my service which is an individual one not official.  they found the problem to be from the water pump and advised me to change the timing belt at the same time as they have to remove all those parts including the belt so that I would not have to pay once again for labor in 30k .  It took 3 hours to change all parts and costed me £210 including original parts and labor and 1 year guarantee.

Before going to my service I also contacted the official service and asked for the price to change timing belt . the price they  offered was incomparable  £615. however this also included the oil , oil filter and diesel filter. still their price was more than twice.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SerdarKarabulut said:

Hi everyone. Here in Turkey the service requires the change of timing belt every 4 year or 120000 km whichever is reached earlier.  I do not understand why there is such a big difference with UK.

Turkey is listed in the service manual as a 'dust-rich country' and therefore subject to a shorter 120,000 km interval.

18 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

I got a local garage to quote for a cambelt and waterpump using genuine Skoda parts @ £340.

My local Skoda dealer price matched...

I only give people one chance to give me their best price.  My local dwaler were found wanting so I didn't use them and won't ever again,  including my next car purchase.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gdcobra said:

I only give people one chance to give me their best price.  My local dwaler were found wanting so I didn't use them and won't ever again,  including my next car purchase.

Nose, spite, face?

No one is going to give you 'best price' straight off – they're running a business. However, if they're willing to negotiate then why not test the water?

2 hours ago, Jigger72 said:

Nose, spite, face?

No one is going to give you 'best price' straight off – they're running a business. However, if they're willing to negotiate then why not test the water?

Because I'd don't have time to prat around and I'm choosy who I do business with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cambelt changed (early according to Skoda NZ) yesterday at 7 years and 100,000 miles. Tensioner, guides/pulleys and bearings feel brand new. Belt condition up for debate, but mechanic said it looked good.

All of this is for your information only, I would not suggest varying from your importers recommended service schedule.

Thanks again to Plutoidefix for prompting me to get this changed.

IMG_5663.JPG

IMG_5664.JPG

IMG_5665.JPG

IMG_5666.JPG

IMG_5667.JPG

• Like 2