HELP finding pulley part number/stockist

hello all. right, so ive changed the alternator belt and i still have a squeeking i belive to be the idler pulley. ill be changing the waterpump too while im at it so i know all is perfect, but im having SERIOUS trouble finding the idler pulley. its a NON air con model so is tentioned via the alternator mount, so i literally need the NON spring loaded NON v groved idler pulley, but i cant find one anywhere. ive tried europarts/gsf with no sucess whatsoever and cant even find one that matches mine on ebay and the like. plenty listed for my vehicle but all dont look right at all/have groves or a spring tention system of some kind (air con variety) so could someone help me finding this part? ive tried my local skoda dealer and parts department have promised to phone me back a few times with no sucess (boo) and thbis squeek is REALLY winding me up. would rather  not buy the same thing 4 times off ebay hoping its correct.

thanks all, can provide a pic of the offending article if need be

Wait and see whether @octyal agrees, I think he has access to better info than the general public.

If it is right, buy one from somewhere that allows returns, then when you take the old one off you can try the re-greasing suggestion I made (worked on my tensioner pulley and has kept working for at least a year since, they just dry out), and if it works you can send back the bought one.

My eninge is also AQW - non A/C, and I replaced the idler this year. The part number is 047145276. Apparently it fits some VW Lupo models too.

dscf0084-849.jpg

Edited by TMB

I made a tool to get the bolt out and back in again as there wasn't enough room to get a spanner or socket on without dropping the engine. The pulley slides off easily once the bolt is out. If you need the tool I will happily post it to you. Skoda say to use a bit of thread lock on the bolt when replacing. And the bolt thread is left-handed!!

imageproxy.php.jpg

4556767.jpg

Edited by TMB
  • Like 1

beautiful!! part ordered. and THANKYOU for letting me know its a LHT!!! i would have seriously killed it/needed a helicoil if you hadnt informed me :D

it seems this is an incredibly generic part used by lots of manufactors!! and yes, the part number is in place but half had been scratched off!!!! all these supposed mechanics who have worked on this car in the past should be shot. brake pins rounded, thermostat housing glued... you name it! its a 47k mile car with few owners and all serviced by "reputable" mechanics... she has a good home now!

thanks to all once again. been an amazing help :D

2 hours ago, MiNoRcOnFuSiOn said:

... you name it! its a 47k mile car with few owners and all serviced by "reputable" mechanics... she has a good home now!

There are no reputable mechanics left, they're all cretinous 'fitters', the trade doesn't pay enough to retain decent mechanics and has significantly de-skilled to the point where apprentices and fitters are almost indistinguishable from one another.

• 3 weeks later...

finally got the part from vw (as the one i ordered online was NOT at all correct, i discovered this by trying to FIT IT grrrr) anywho. part is installed. still squeeking, must be waterpump? bought one anyway as there cheap as chips/easy enough to fit (LOL) need a hoist to hold the engine up while i change it. AND the pulley needs to come off BEFOR removal, talk about narrow fun. yay. unless anyone has a trick to hold the engine up/kinda safely without falling all over the place) while i swap out the pump. if not the pump then what else? alternator seems fine when spun by hand, altho not under load, and works as should/looks in tip top condition. could it be the crank seal? never known a seal to squeek, but theres a first time for everything.

On 04/10/2017 at 17:18, TMB said:

No probs. If you get stuck and need the tool I made just let me know. I'm on the forum most days.

Cheers for the offer, but i used mole grips and a nice knurled socket in the end. there really is no place in this world for SMOOTH SHINY sockets! LOL

thanks again all

Very much doubt it would be the oil seal.  It's obviously either the alternator or water pump. My money would be on the water pump.

15 minutes ago, TMB said:

Very much doubt it would be the oil seal.  It's obviously either the alternator or water pump. My money would be on the water pump.

my thinking also, already have one to fit. literally thought "its only one top mount, the engine shouldnt go anywhere"... WRONG LOL im used to bigger engines or mini's tbh. any tricks for keeping the engine secure or is a hoist the only option?

and of course, the the crank seal i thought would leak as a sign (as yours seems to be? :D ) and mines dry as a bone. engines just on 51000 mind, the car was sat for atleast 2 years and had very little use/long rest periods its entire life... so chasing my tail a little fixing everything on what is otherwise an amazing car for its year!

Wonder if you could do it by dropping the engine and working in the wheel arch with the liner removed. That's how I did my crank oil seal but obviously the water pump is higher so not sure.

2 minutes ago, MiNoRcOnFuSiOn said:

and of course, the the crank seal i thought would leak as a sign (as yours seems to be? :D )

That's from a previous leak. Have replaced the seal now.