The story of the famous DQ200 clutch slip...

krigl

21 hours ago, Estate Man said:

Skoda will almost certainly fix the problem for you. Did you buy your car from new?

Car was bought in Germany with 18 month left of factory warranty and it has been serviced in the same Skoda dealer in Belgium since I brought it back. 

10 hours ago, Jason_Nevins said:

Guys please write down order numbers of clutches i cant deal with 1st 2nd or 3rd generation dry clutch.

0AM198142G   

0AM198142F    

0AM198142H    

I have the F on my 1.8 tsi vw touran and its better but still noticeable everyday. 40000km the 3rd cluth changed in 10/2018.

Thanks

I have an appointment for my slipping issue with Skoda dealer next week, should I ask for those part numbers before doing any work on it ? 

many thanks for your input guys, this seems to be a rather low occurrence problem and there are not many informations on the internet about it.

The latest TPI in regards to this issue is TPI2050318/3 just mention this to get the latest clutch.

Will be picking up my car this afternoon. Not sure what to expect so do not have high hope yet. Its do or die...meaning the car leaves if not solved, better for my health, definitely bad for my wallet! Hahaha

On 05/06/2019 at 14:16, H@@S said:

Issue is the 2nd gen clutch material in combination with the stock software that regulates microslip, needed for comfort, under light load. Should be unnoticable but it isnt.   With Full throttle hardly slip since clutch fully closes.

1st gen clutch...high wear due to incorrect shift points but initial great grip...in combination with tvs the best but clutches are not available anymore!

2nd gen clutch...harder material, lower wear, always noticable slip under cold conditions. Tvs only provides solution for low power engines 1.0/1.2tsi. Hogher torgue models still slip!

3rd gen clutch...currently being build into my car, awaiting the outcome!

Wonder if skoda can solve this at all and their move to the all new dsg7 wet clutch is not to promising in regards to their attempts. At some point in time all dq200 will be vanished, problem solved!

Yes, wet clutches tend to be much more reliable and last a long time. Slightly more expensive to design & build but twice to three times the life of dry clutch systems.

23 hours ago, Xua84 said:

Car was bought in Germany with 18 month left of factory warranty and it has been serviced in the same Skoda dealer in Belgium since I brought it back. 

I have an appointment for my slipping issue with Skoda dealer next week, should I ask for those part numbers before doing any work on it ? 

many thanks for your input guys, this seems to be a rather low occurrence problem and there are not many informations on the internet about it.

Guessing that you will be fortunate and Skoda will pick up the bill for this. They should do. Let us all know what response you get. Good luck!

Having read some of the bits of this now very long thread and being a old fashioned non-tech geezer, I have only one comment from my early days of working for an American engineering business (as an accountant) - "keep it simple stupid!" Of course accountants also have complex issues to deal with from time to time but as my old boss once said to me when I was a raw youth, if you can't easily explain what you have done to a non-accountant then you have failed and must try again.

I went to my Skoda dealer and they acknowledge the problem with a test drive and various other tests, they were pretty surprised by this problem and they never had this case so coming with a very detailed description and the TPI number given by @H@@S really helped a lot.

They are documenting the case and sending everything to the main Skoda headquarter in Belgium, they will have to make the decision if they are intervening in this case or not, I was told repair cost could go up to 2000€. If Skoda doesn't cover the expense I will most likely get rid of the car.

Finger crossed on this !

Any news from people with updated clutch ? Is it fixed or not ?

@Xua84 Well, at least it is described as a known issue in the TPI....I think that every sales and mechanic needs to have a check on their CV on the checkbox for completed course "The art of denial , the VAG way". Mine is from 2011, bought two years ago, issues since then, and warranty expired for a long time, already on the 3rd clutch, now the 4th, though replaced without any costs!!!

I shared every single detail reviewing the garage on the internet, making them move towards me! Show your unsatisfactory in every possible way, on all possible media and share the links.

"....A good name comes by foot, and leaves by horse......"

Finally have the car back, after the initial clutch replacement, on the way home a light went broken (this can happen)....but the same evening it turned out the car was all of a sudden leaking coolant (initially i thought trans oil)....rated cost for pump and thermostat at local garage....639€!!!!!!! WTF!!!!....am i jinxed or something. They also stated the dust cover on the driving axle was punctured probably during dismounting the transmission.

Next day called the garage where the car was bought and the clutch was replaced. They picked up the car, because they already saw the dark clouds on the horizon and brought a rental and repaired

all the issues. (this same pump was already replaced in 2017 just before me buying the car...i have the maint history)....so no cost! Thank god for that and smooth attitude of the garage. 

Now I am driving around with the new clutch and flywheel for two days.....so far no issues yet, no noticeable slip or sounds, which is good.  Will not call it victory yet.....will have to last for the next 5K to draw a definitive conclusion if it is fixed and await the problem season....WINTER.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello guys,

just giving u a final update on my journey. Skoda took my car 3 days during the heat wave and did all sorts of testings,  my car has been diagnosed with a perfectly fine clutch with no anormal wears. Apparently it needed an update on some part of the clutch ( I have no idea what it was thought, balls bearing ?  the guy didn't took the time to explain it to me they were a rush with many customers picking up their cars).  My car is fine from their point of view, it does not fit the TPI. the clutch slipping is considered as normal behavior.  

During those 3 days, they lent me a Rapid 1.0 tsi dsg7 and the feeling of the gearbox was nothing at all compared to mine, everything was smoother. 

So here I am with my slipping issue still there and still as bad as before, I basically got denied any solutions from my Skoda dealer and I'm not in the mood to try another dealer. Took the decision to get rid of the car and sell it before the end of the summer and never buy any VAG autogearbox again ( at least the dq200).

Good luck to all of you that still have this issue and thanks for your help !

Now after three weeks driving with new flywheel/clutch combi. I do not hear these heavy sounds anymore upon early morning starts or with light/half throttle pull ups. The slip seems to be reduced to a minimum at this moment. Also no visible slips around the rpms where it always used to slip. Is it all OK now? Well ehhh. What is ok or not. Last week when driving into the garage at work with the window open i heard some rather loud clunking noises coming from the gearbox like it had an issue to properly pick up. Strange noises which i rather not hear. Do not hear m inside with closed windows though. Also a bit clunky shift behaviour when downshifting from 3.2.1...really noticeable when driving in traffic jams...more than before. clearly an automatic gearbox NOT made for doing this!! Higher speeds 4,5,6,7 are flawless...so yes there is an improvement but not at the level of perfection. Strangely enough after driving a good 40 minutes motorway and leaving it, it seems this mechatronic needs to learn its city behaviour again. Not the best piece of tech. 

So at the moment acceptable but I have higher expectations than this. Do not need to worry though when selling the car being worthless! So my radar is also on...for a different car. Think i will also leave VAG to get rid of this plague of everlasting issues....

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello!

I have the same problem with my Octavia -11. The problem appeared 10000km after replacing clutch pack. Seems to act up more when engine is cold. Gearbox does not show any errors. 

Has anyone gotten this problem fixed for good? My car is out of any kind of warranty so I dont want to pay for another clutch just to find same problem after the "fix". 

Here are couple of videos of my cars clutch slipping problem:

@broc

Who fitted the clutch packs and what are they saying about your issue?

Seems like the problem comes then from the Clutch Packs fitted or by who fitted them, if not a Mechatronic Control Unit issue.

Or the selector fork.

?

Was your DQ200 part of the world wide recall which was just a Service Campaign in Europe, so '34F7' changing the Synthetic Oil to Mineral and a software update.

5 minutes ago, Roottootemoot said:

@broc

Who fitted the clutch packs and what are they saying about your issue?

Seems like the problem comes then from the Clutch Packs fitted or by who fitted them, if not a Mechatronic Control Unit issue.

Or the selector fork.

?

Was your DQ200 part of the world wide recall which was just a Service Campaign in Europe, so '34F7' changing the Synthetic Oil to Mineral and a software update.

Unofficial shop did the clutch replacement. They said: clutch properly installed, no fault codes, did new adjustment and problem is not their fault.

I dont know if my car was included in '34F7' campaign. Service history does not show if it was made or not.

1 minute ago, Roottootemoot said:

Skoda customer services in your country can tell you if they paid for it to be done. There should be a sticker in the spare tyre well showing if done. 

I will check the spare tyre well for stickers tonight. Could wrong oil cause these symptoms or is it the wrong software?

If the issue has started after some driven km, then it is clutch and SW related, all three of my clutches did the same thing, once it was new it was ok for about 5kkm, then the slips started.

Get a TVS DSG Stage2+ tune done. This is the best thing you can do. It will still slip from time to time, but minimal and nothing close to current state.

I have the tune installed for the past almost two years and about 70kkm, with no issues so far.

And the car is drivable now.

From the time this thread started until today I have not received feedback from anyone that OEM fix had worked, and that the car has driven at least 15kkm from last clutch change.

And get an oil change on gearbox and mechatronics, such an old gearbox will be happy.

Got mine replaced for the second time with latest type at 178 and. Now at 189. This was done in june this year. Had my holiday with 1500kg caravan in spain. At this moment still minimal slip or heavy low noises. Must admit i added the DMF as well into the repair( partcosts only, bought at tvs against 50% of oem price!I have tvs software in the box. 

will go back the 6th of december because i experience clunky downshifting during traffic jams 1.2.3 3.2.1...especially 1.2 2.1....all other gears are quite smooth!

8 hours ago, krigl said:

If the issue has started after some driven km, then it is clutch and SW related, all three of my clutches did the same thing, once it was new it was ok for about 5kkm, then the slips started.

Get a TVS DSG Stage2+ tune done. This is the best thing you can do. It will still slip from time to time, but minimal and nothing close to current state.

I have the tune installed for the past almost two years and about 70kkm, with no issues so far.

And the car is drivable now.

From the time this thread started until today I have not received feedback from anyone that OEM fix had worked, and that the car has driven at least 15kkm from last clutch change.

And get an oil change on gearbox and mechatronics, such an old gearbox will be happy.

Dq200 is sealed for life. Is not included in any service schedule. Unlike the dq250/500 which need a flush every 60k! I can imagine that after a while the oil will be somewhat contaminated. So who provides this service?

I do it myself, se pictures some pages before, it is quite straight forward. Read about it.

The OEM service should be capable of doing this, it is not rocket science. Nothing is sealed for life, get used to this statement....

If you translate this into sensible statement, it actually means the following: "Sealed until warranty RUNS OUT!!!".

I plan on doing this flush each 60kkm, which is every regular 4 oil services of engine, just for piece of mind. Oil is free if it changing can prevent damage of gearbox...

This is my view on this matter...

In my country independent mechanics recommend changing gearbox oil at least every 100kkm for manuals also.

• 5 months later...

Great story krigal.. Rottootem directed me to this post of epic proportions. I've read the most of the 15 pages and not sure where my car fits in the equation... My post a day or so ago with a different heading was this..

" Hi all, I just bought a mk3 octavia (2016) 1.4lt / 7 speed DSG with 90k on the clock. To my dismay I've noticed what sounds like clutch slippage.. a squeal.. that only ( at this stage) happens occasionally when the DSG changes into 4th gear. It only seems to happen when going around a sweeping slightly uphill corner, or up accelerating up a hill when the transmission is loaded up. The vehicle has always been Skoda serviced.. would this be a clutch pack problem or is the DSG just doing a slow shift into 4th? "

Not sure if I should hit up the dealer with the latest TPI or try your MAP sensor trick.. Of concern is the couple of engine "shutdowns" I've experienced - fortunately at low speed slowing down for a set of lights.