Poor fuel economy 2017 1.2 TSi DSG

greenstripe

Just now, Headinawayoffski said:

The person at the Service Desk taking your keys and getting your signature approving them doing a diagnosis and you paying should be writing down what the issues are, and getting the Workshop Manager or Master Tech through to talk with you, that way you know rather than a note in the car.

Maybe write it down though and hand that across as well.

Okay, I'll see if they let me speak to the technician about it. I'm really hoping I don't get the usual 'they all do it', it may well be true, but I hope there is a solution.

Mine is a year old, and has now done 9000 miles,   normally getting about 35mpg, but can be lot lower (about 28-30mpg) in London traffic, but is nearer 42mpg on open road.   Going above 70mph the mpg falls rapidly (as has poor aerodynamics)

Don't get this changing down to 4th unless going up a very steep hill, actually its more likely to change down going down a steep hill (although it is so free running normally need the brakes as engine braking is weak).   Quickly changes up to 7th on the flat, will go into 7th above about 32mph if light on accelerator.

Don't get a vibration or rumble (although it did do it until about 3000 miles, but only if in moving traffic doing about 36mpg when it seemed unsure about 6th or 7th), since then it either loosened up or learnt my driving style and now changes up earlier.

I find using super unleaded every now and then keeps it sweeter and improves things as it cleans up the engine.

Rarely use the cruise control so can't comment on how that affects the mpg,

If you are getting under 30mpg, you either have a very heavy foot, or something is wrong (is handbrake dragging etc)

Edited by SurreyJohn

Just now, SurreyJohn said:

Mine is a year old, and has now done 9000 miles,   normally getting about 35mpg, but can be lot lower (about 30mpg) in London traffic, but is nearer 42mpg on open road.   Going above 70mph the mpg falls rapidly (as has poor aerodynamics)

Don't get this changing down to 4th unless going up a very steep hill, actually its more likely to change down going down a steep hill (although it is so free running normally need the brakes as engine braking is weak).   Quickly changes up to 7th on the flat, will go into 7th above about 32mph if light on accelerator.

Don't get a vibration or rumble (although it did do it until about 3000 miles, but only if in moving traffic doing about 36mpg when it seemed unsure about 6th or 7th), since then it either loosened up or learnt my driving style and now changes up earlier

Rarely use the cruise control so can't comment on how that affects the mpg,

If you are getting under 30mpg, you either have a very heavy foot, or something is wrong (is handbrake dragging etc)

I can assure you, I do not have a heavy right foot. I got the auto version because I wanted a nice relaxing drive! I am dropping the car off with a new dealer in about an hour, so this time tomorrow I should have a verdict. I am asking them to look at the heavy shudder when the car 'creeps' uphill in D or R too as I've already been told this is normal due to load on the clutches, but I don't buy that.

Interesting outcome. The garage rang and said a HT lead, not sure what that is, but it had corroded a bit and was causing a misfire. They have said that they cleaned it off and it perfoms as it should now. I'll decide when I pick it up later!

Not sure how that affects mpg though. But I do think mine isn't that bad on fuel actually, I got 38mpg on a 4 mile drive from work to the garage yesterday. I think it is literally just because of how steep the climb is back to my home from work.

Edited by gman88667733

Often the first indication of a failing spark plug or the gaps increased or a coil failing is increased fuel consumption, and a misfire is not yet that noticeable if a Exhaust Emission or EPC light does not show.

That was a question asked early on about servicing and maintenance in the thread due to the engines efficiency or poor efficiency affecting the DSG behavior.

Hopefully you are sorted.

2 hours ago, gman88667733 said:

Interesting outcome. The garage rang and said a HT lead, not sure what that is, but it had corroded a bit and was causing a misfire. They have said that they cleaned it off and it perfoms as it should now. I'll decide when I pick it up later!

Not sure how that affects mpg though. But I do think mine isn't that bad on fuel actually, I got 38mpg on a 4 mile drive from work to the garage yesterday. I think it is literally just because of how steep the climb is back to my home from work.

I had a Fabia vrs DSG 1.4. There is a steep hill about a 1/4 mile long on my trip to work it used to change to 2nd all the way up.  got 25 mpg in that . I can go up the same hill in 4th in my yeti get 37 /41 mpg

The number threee ignition coil lead was subject to a service campaign due to its proximity to the turbo, causing failures.

A new set of leads fixed it.  The camshaft drive and mechatronic unit were the other two issues subject to a campaign.

Were they done?.

I know the mech unit was done. On my short drive home, it did feel better, but there was still a bit of the same thing there (I think) I'll test more tomorrow and see. It still changes up at the same early points, however, it did overall feel better. I'll update this when I go for a good drive tomorrow.

Just now, gman88667733 said:

I know the mech unit was done. On my short drive home, it did feel better, but there was still a bit of the same thing there (I think) I'll test more tomorrow and see. It still changes up at the same early points, however, it did overall feel better. I'll update this when I go for a good drive tomorrow.

Either way the service book should note any campaign attended to, but if yours is the 7 DSG it’s not one of them......they were earlier 1.2s

^^^ Is it,

i thought they increased the power due to the Implausible Co2 g/km with the previous engine, and then discontinued the later 1.2 TSI due to the emissions and MPG still being no place near the EU test figures hence now 1.0TSI's with the ps / torque and yet less cc's.

Others older ones were getting better economy than yours because yours was not running on all cylinders.

Anyone that had an older one and a newer one with everything else the same, gearbox, weight, tyres and journeys are best placed to know the improved economy, 

and if they use Fuely that would help as well.

5 hours ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Others older ones were getting better economy than yours because yours was not running on all cylinders.

Anyone that had an older one and a newer one with everything else the same, gearbox, weight, tyres and journeys are best placed to know the improved economy, 

If I compare my 2012 1.2 DSG at 6,600 miles I was averaging 40.67 MPG from new; my 2017 1.2 DSG is averaging 44.52 MPG at 6,500 miles from new. Driving conditions identical so it looks like the newer engine is giving about 10% better economy overall. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Headinawayoffski said:

To add to that, my car is not getting any better fuel economy still and is also displaying exactly the same issues as before. I requested a call back on the customer feedback form, so the garage should ring me back so I can get them to take it for a drive with me in it. I'm getting pretty fed up with it to be honest. This is my second Yeti in 5 months and both have been faulty in some way.

2 hours ago, Birdwell L&K said:

I own the same car an average 42mpg urban, an on a long motorway drive 55mpg driving at 62 miles an hour.

Fill to fill or maxidot?.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2017 at 22:41, greenstripe said:

My girlfriend recently bough a brand new Yeti SEL Drive 1.2 TSi with DSG. The car has done over 3000 miles so can be considered run-in. She is happy with the car apart from the fuel consumption which is terrible. We have been measuring the fuel economy since new using Fuelly and it's averaging 28-30mpg. The car has been run on regular 95 unleaded from the supermarket, and we are trying a couple of tankfuls of Super to see if it makes any difference.

As I see it the car seems to change down unnecessarily and never takes advantage of the torque that this engine has  -using cruise control at 70 in 7th gear and as soon as it hits a hill, the car changes down to 4th. I'd be interested to hear other people's experiences 

I have just done my first fill-to-fill fuel calculation in a two - week old 1.2 se drive dsg. I returned 38.4 over 309 miles. The car has done just  over 600 miles so isn't fully run in yet. The miles were a mixture of longer runs on country roads with lots of hills and bends, dual carriageway,  and short runs to the shops. I am happy with that, be interesting to see what I get once I have a few thousand miles up. 

I find the dsg to be very smooth, but I can induce a clunk if I pull away too sharply when stone cold. It is just like the dsg Golf I had before in that respect. I feel that the dsg performs very well, no complaints. 

I haven't really used cruise yet, just checked to see how it works. 

Hope you can resolve your problems, greenstripe. 

On 13/10/2017 at 22:31, Ryeman said:

Apparently ecu controlled transmissions ‘learn’ your driving style and adapt to it.    If that’s the case it needs to be taught a lesson surely.

I don't think that the dsg box learns your driving style, I think it is set up to react to various  pre-set parameters. They had a discussion about this on the Golf mk7 forum, and I believe that is the case. 

• Thanks 1