Android Auto woes - it used to work, now it doesn't

I've previously posted on here promoting Android Auto and even offered help to other users.

I found AA to be very reliable and used it quite often for both music and navigation with Waze/Google Maps.

Now I'm getting issues with my HTC U11 and Columbus head unit and thought I'd ask if anyone else is experiencing the same problems. I suspect something has updated on my phone, and is causing the issue.

So when I connect the phone, go to SmartLink and then choose the phone, it now always tries to connect using MirrorLink. I have the default set to Android Auto on the head unit but this doesn't seem to make a difference. I've also tried opening AA first on the phone and then connecting the phone and this makes no difference. MirrorLink doesn't work BTW and never has as the phone doesn't support it.

I can get it to connect using AA if I set the USB mode of the phone to 'file transfers'. It shows 2 entries in the notification bar on the phone for AA, but they can't be clicked to switch to AA and both close. The car display then drops back to the SmartLink screen.

In the past I've had issues with the cable, but purchased one that was recommended from a thread on here so I can rule out the cable being the issue. I've also tried swapping the cable with another that is known to work just in case and it made no difference.

When the phone is connected via USB to the car, there is a usb menu that is accessible on the phone with an option to turn off 'connect to can with mirrorlink' but this turns itself back on everytime I turn it off. Very frustrating.
I looked to even disable the HTC MirrorLink app, but unfortunately this isn't possible as the option is greyed out. Downgrading the app to the factory version also made no difference.

Resetting the head unit and phone also didn't help.

Help!

Apologies if you’ve tried this already but have you tried removing and reinstalling the AA app on the mobile? There was an update pushed from the 18th so maybe also try the previous apk?

Doesn’t solve the issue but the next thing to try is an alternative mobile with your head unit just in case it’s an issue with the car… might even reset things for your HTC.

45 minutes ago, Walpole said:

Any update on this ? Have the same issue with my OnePlus3 which previously worked fine

No help for you - I'm happily running a OnePlus3 ( I do run the latest OnePlus3 Beta roms so I'm currently on Android 8 http://downloads.oneplus.net/oneplus-3/oneplus_3_oxygenos_openbeta_26/ )  Car immediately recognises phone when plugged in. My only "complaint" is that the car doesn't put the AA icon in the middle of the "MENU" screen display when it has just detected the USB connection.  Google Maps, Waze and BBC iplayer radio are the only "AA" apps I use  

I managed to solve the issue by doing the following:

• In settings for AA, turn off 'Use Bluetooth - Turn Bluetooth on when Android Auto is running'. I have Bluetooth on by default on the phone anyway.
  • Deleting the car from 'Connected Cars' so that it would detect it again.

Also I always make sure that there are no notifications in the pull down panel on the home screen and that there are no apps in the recent apps section. Swipe to close them all.

Fires up first time now with regularity. :-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Love it on my oneplus 3. Use google music (for music) and media monkey (for Audio books) as well as maps and messaging. 

Had trouble when using it in rented cars (corsa) but the BT setting sorted this most times. 

Matt 

On 30/10/2017 at 12:30, r08shaw said:

I managed to solve the issue by doing the following:

• In settings for AA, turn off 'Use Bluetooth - Turn Bluetooth on when Android Auto is running'. I have Bluetooth on by default on the phone anyway.
  • Deleting the car from 'Connected Cars' so that it would detect it again.

Also I always make sure that there are no notifications in the pull down panel on the home screen and that there are no apps in the recent apps section. Swipe to close them all.

Fires up first time now with regularity. :-)

What I find sometimes, especially when only being out of the car for a short time is the phone is picked up by Bluetooth from the car and then refuses to hand the connection to AA. 

What is the weirdest thing is connecting the phone via cable and the music comes out of the load speaker on the phone itself.. A unplug - plug action solves that one. 

My partners phone doesn't do any of this so I would put most root causes down to the phone rather than the unit itself.  

I use a Nexus 6p  

My partner has a Pixel XL

I had some with AA as well, I have sorted them out by:

1. Make sure your cable is good, I am on my third one.

2. When you connect your phone, it may ask you to allow Mirrorlink, don't touch the phone, or allow it.

3. On your phone go to settings -> Connections -> More connections settings -> MirrorLink - there set MirrorLink to off (that's for a Samsung phone, may be a bit different on other brands)

Should sort out all AA issues.

Edited by Super280