Any Regrets?

There is a slight possibility that I may kick out the mark 2  - and possibly order a Mark 3.

Mine is a 1.2 TSI (2013 SE) - this has performed well and never let me down, HOWEVER, I cannot live much longer with the road/tyre noise, and the engine has always been quite harsh and noisy.

I quite fancy the 3 cylinder petrol 1 Litre, which I understand does not have a counterbalance shaft, but nevertheless is well balanced and reasonably quiet.

I have not yet driven the Mk 3, so wonder guys that when the initial euphoria passed as you got used to your Mk 3, if you had any regrets, or the new car did not (in honesty) match your expectations?

Will be trying out a Mk3 next week, but would welcome your comments / observations.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments.

C

I have an early (2015) HatchBack, with the 1.2 tsi 110 engine. My only regret regarding the car is that I did not get the DSG - otherwise it has been a joy! I had some noise troubles, but they were sorted by dealer (loose interior mirror => glued, whining noise=>intake pipe replaced) and now the car is just great!

3 hours ago, the_raz said:

My only regret regarding the car is that I did not get the DSG

I have the same regret. I've got a 1.0 110 - really happy with the car overall, but I do wish I had invested in the DSG box as the icing on the cake.

Biggest regret not waiting for the 2016 version where bolero radio works with android and apple phones and thinking  the SEL  came with heated front seats like my old elegance estate did, when I realised to late to stop order. Miss single push open/close drivers window on my car only available on all electric windows. Apart from that I am happy with the car Joe

Yep, pretty much as above posts ... 2 years and 4 months in, 45000kms (28000 miles) ... still very happy with car. 1.2Tsi Style (like SEL), Combi.  Few small items repaired under warranty (Ignition button and some speeds on heater fan).  Never had noises or rattles in mine.

Drives very well .. great in town and fun drive on small country roads. Absolutely fine on motorway. Cruise control great on main roads. Totally converted by the Front Assist Braking !  Downsides? Changing headlight bulbs on projector lamps is difficult. The horn sounds dreadful !

Otherwise - Put it like this - I'd have another one !

Edited by Dithane
  • Like 1

As above, 2015 110 SEL.

Engine is quiet, probably some differences to your 1,2 made. Tire noise is evident, though, but I hope the 16" Bridgestones are to blame. Driving the 15" Firestone winter wheels are a much more joyful experience in that matter.

The 3 cyl 95 hp engine is found in my Seat Ibiza. Jolly good and quiet engine as well.

We have had a 75hp SE, Black with white roof for 2 years. Excellent car, comfortable at motorway speed, not too noisy (compared to my ST) considering it doesn't have a lot of torque and 80 shows 4500 revs. Just a bit gutless up hills if the revs drop. Looking to trade up to a Red SEL with 110hp and double the torque soon - should be a beast. Red cars are always faster.

We have 2 Mk3 Fabia's with different tyres and wheel sizes. Roads in Herfordshire make the tyres on both cars roar (cheap resurfacing) . Best tip was drop the tyres down to 30 psi this has made them sound a lot quieter (they always up them again  when serviced).

Both cars have DSG 1.2 wery smooth and refined , my wife’s is a very early 64 plate saloon it has a lovely throaty roar, my 65 estate same engine is very tame in comparison, but they have the same performance that's just great.

Remember if you change the tyre pressures reset your TPMS system or you will get a warning.  (got a warning the other day going fast over a hump back bridge)

Had a 14 reg mk2 with 1.2tsi and DSG, couldn't fault it

Moved to a 1.2tsi DSG Yeti SE and also very good (and lease a year ago was stupidly cheap, much cheaper than Fabias at the time.

Did get a mk3 1.0 for a day as loan whilst the Yeti had its first service, very free running little engine, but the tyres were quite noisy, and had to change gear manually.  Easy to slot into gear, but no where near as nice as having 7 gears in DSG as that keeps engine in optimum revband.

would I buy a mk3, yes, but not the manual gearbox version.

I've heard good things about the DSG, but I have no complaints with the 5-speed manual in my 1.2 TSI 90. My only complaints about the car are where Skoda have been cost cutting- the lack of one-touch windows, and the way the back seats fold, for example. For the price though it's a great little car. I don't know if I'd buy one if I was looking right now- I might go for the Ibiza, or maybe the new Fiesta. However when I bought my Fabia neither of those cars were available, and the old versions of those cars were both feeling very dated. It's frustrating though with the Ibiza that you can't get Full Link (aka SmartLink) without speccing the navigation system. 

6 minutes ago, vc-10 said:

It's frustrating though with the Ibiza that you can't get Full Link (aka SmartLink) without speccing the navigation system. 

It wouldn't surprise me if that's the way that all cars go (or at least, charging an arm and a leg for Android Auto / Apple CarPlay compatibility).

36 minutes ago, sparckzero said:

It wouldn't surprise me if that's the way that all cars go (or at least, charging an arm and a leg for Android Auto / Apple CarPlay compatibility).

I dunno- the new Ford Fiesta, VW Polo, and Golf have it standard on all but the base models, the facelift Octavia has it standard across the range. It's becoming very common. I wouldn't buy a car without it having had the Fabia. 

+1 to above comments.  Very close to 40k miles now on my pre week 22 estate, and would have another for definite. I loved my 1.9Mk1 Elegance, was much less impressed with the 1.6 Mk2 but the Mk3 in 110bhp 1.2 form is excellent as a real world car.  A little more power and less tyre noise would be nice, but it wouldn't stop me getting another.

• Like 1

I have been driving a 1.2TSi 110 DSG estate for 2 1/2 years now and today, I have just driven back 250 miles from North Wales to Newcastle, on the M6. Once past the Blackpool turn off, I had 80 miles of quiet motorway and the car went like a dream. It is quiet and refined for it's price and the engine and DSG combination is excellent on the motorway and it goes as fast as I want. The four pot engine is very willing, it is very happy at low revs and at 70, it's still only doing about 2,600 rpm so it is quiet and remains quiet when driven harder. The combination is also good around town once you learn how to make a smooth start at traffic lights, that took me about a year, you have to be really gentle and allow the clutch(es) time to bite. I am happy with the fuel consumption: I get about 45 mpg overall, rather less than advertised. As for drawbacks, I am not concerned with the phone connectivity, but the sound system is pretty good. And after sitting in the car for 4 1/2 hours, it's still very  comfortable.The biggest problem I have is that the car is so quiet from the outside when you are driving in supermarket car parks or country lanes, it seems that people on foot cannot hear you coming. There is something about the ventilation, if I don't have a desiccator in the car, the windows constantly fog up as soon as the temperature drops.

I also find that my Fabia fogs up more than other cars I have or have had.

It might be that the car has better insulation so it holds the hot moist air in the car longer.

Opening the windows for the last part of your journey to cool the inside air down helps.

I have also got a desiccator for the car which also helps over night.

The ventilation/AC system does clear the front screen quickly though.

Thanks AG Falco.

All 12 of my previous Skoda’s were terrible for steaming up... but the worst was my Citigo. 

Part and parcel of Skoda ownership I’m afraid.

Do a search, and you’ll find a lot of posts about it.

I drive everywhere with the A/C on in the winter to prevent it misting. The A/C dehumidifies the air being blown into the cabin. I have a feeling it's because the cars these days are relatively well sealed, so the moisture you bring into the car (wet shoes, wet clothes, your breath etc) then can't get out. The demister does seem to work pretty effectively though so it's not a worry.

My first post. :)

I own a Mk3 Fabia, 1.2 TSI 90, got it in June, and have done around 8000km on it so far. The engine is simply great. Very responsive and it really does feel stronger than what its rated for. But I blame that on the higher torque figure, compared to some other 85-95(and 100) hp cars. 

The engine is a bit harsh when cold, but when properly warmed up, its a blast. I had the option to go for 1.0 3-pot TSI, but as they say, "there is no replacement for displacement". Except a bigger turbo and a ECU tune. :) But all can be done on the 1.2 aswell. :)

Fuel economy is very satisfying and I have also done some highway driving, and the 5-speed box doesnt struggle at all. 90 kph at 2000rpm in 5th gear like a champ. Going up to 3000 or 4000rpm if needed and using low throttle to sustain speed also keeps the engine noise down and still giving enough power. Overtaking is also no problem. And you can also feel the acceleration in 5th gear thanks to plenty of torque in low-mid range.

Cheers

• Like 1