STOLEN - Black Octavia VRS

Glad the car has been found OP, hope they find the scumbags that entered your home and took it.

Not sure I'd bother with the tracker - it isn't going to stop thieves from entering your home and taking your car in the first place.

Just increases your chances of getting it back. Great if it's something rare, unique etc. Or if the insurance company demands one. Not much benefit on a common Skoda, and potentially it could be in a ruined state by the time it's found anyway.

Things for prevention/deterrent may be a better solution. CCTV overlooking driveway, steering wheel lock etc. Anything that makes it less of a quick smash and grab win for them.

As @SWBoy mentioned, the real pros can and will defeat a tracker without huge difficulty.

There is no external damage as far as i could tell. Not been in the car yet. 

Been told £700 for new locks fitted with keys. Only a tad more than my exess. Hastings Direct have been ****e to deal with for an insurance company. Might as well foot the bill myself cause next years insurance would sky rocket. Despite the no claims protection. They will always get their money back off me. They would just take a couple of years by bumping up my prices.

I agree with Audi's. Wouldnt touch one. Its the same with VW golfs. They are always taken here along with Focus ST and RS models.

Mines is the first Skoda to be stolen in the area. Think these guys are realising that the VRS is just the same as the golf GTD's and Audis.

Just got to deal with the fallout now. Reckon it will cost a total of £1500 to £2000 to replace house windows, keys, locks, vehicle uplift and storage.

It's a shame we have to think that way, mine was a '13 Audi 3.0 Avant stolen in Sept, best car i've owned but having someone in your house when you have a toddler makes you think twice, hence why I got a Skoda, thinking they were less desirable. I haven't heard from the Police since the night it was stolen!

At the time I had Ultion euro locks on the doors, currently the only door locks that are impossible to get past, but only if you lock the door, which I had forgot to do :blush: . I'd recommend the Ultion locks though, they come with a £1000 guarantee if anyone gets passed them (when locked!). And also get laminate glass on the downstairs windows, not toughened, especially on patio doors. I did a bit of research into CCTV too but i'm not convinced it's an actual deterent nowadays, Hikvision Hiwatch seemed popular though.

Edited by Dave77

1 hour ago, xenomorph86 said:

Might as well foot the bill myself cause next years insurance would sky rocket.

Just be careful, as you have told them about it you will find it is on your record and your premium may rise anyway irrespective of your NCB protection and not actually making a claim. May be worth checking first before you fork out yourself.

Having done something similar in the past, I said that in the future if the insurance were informed I would just claim, seemed not to make a difference to what it cost me long term even when the costs were covered outside insurance.

10 hours ago, Dave77 said:

It's a shame we have to think that way, mine was a '13 Audi 3.0 Avant stolen in Sept, best car i've owned but having someone in your house when you have a toddler makes you think twice, hence why I got a Skoda, thinking they were less desirable. I haven't heard from the Police since the night it was stolen!

At the time I had Ultion euro locks on the doors, currently the only door locks that are impossible to get past, but only if you lock the door, which I had forgot to do :blush: . I'd recommend the Ultion locks though, they come with a £1000 guarantee if anyone gets passed them (when locked!). And also get laminate glass on the downstairs windows, not toughened, especially on patio doors. I did a bit of research into CCTV too but i'm not convinced it's an actual deterent nowadays, Hikvision Hiwatch seemed popular though.

Ultion locks are about the easiest lock to pick, kits available on Amazon / eBay, Same as Avocet ABS try the Yale Platinum 3 Star TS007

Edited by mrj2k8
Clarity

On 11/8/2017 at 21:01, stever750 said:

Could they find a way round a remap immobiliser? They'd have to find the box, plug it in and wait 5 minutes for it to reflash. 

Very good point actually - this is something that should become more front of mind for people who are security conscious.

However, still wont stop the most determined thief - my mate's M3 was simply picked up from the street on a low-loader in the middle of the day...never to be seen again. Where there's a will, there's a way unfortunately!

• Like 1