Squeal from brakes

Any ideas what causes breaks to squeal it tends to happen when I'm reversing into a parking space. Sometimes it happens other times it doesn't. The performance of the breaks isn't affected but just makes quite a loud squeal at times.

It's been like that since I the day I got the car (car was brand new), thought they just needed to be broken in and garage thought that too. Any ideas ?

Mine squeals the same. 

Mine has got 2500 miles on clock and has done it from day one.

Its been well documented on here.

Its the pads they use.

Someone took theirs back under warranty and had them replaced with Octavia eco pads (I think they were)

Stopped the squealing altogether.

However, the main man in the dealership found out and made them switch back to the Fabia pads and the squealing returned.

The full story is on this forum if you do a search.

Been meaning to get mine done, but just don’t have any time recently.

Its quite embarrassing pulling up at lights and a huge squeal from the car makes everyone look (maybe classed as a safety feature to alert others lol)

Only ever does it in the dry.

Do a search, it’s been discussed before and let us know how you go on

Edited by Damo

If you're capable of doing the work yourself safely then take the pads out and clean up the slide areas on the pad carrier with a small wire brush and brake cleaner. Clean up the edges and back of the pads. Remove the slider pins, clean and grease up with brake grease like Ceratec ( I used to use copper grease but followed advise on here and switched with better results) and refit.

If the pads are hard to push back into the carriers inspect the edges for burrs that haven't been removed and file them off. This is the problem I had with my Octavia that squealed like a big both before and after the dealer had a look at them, I did it myself in the end as all they had done was change the pads. Grease the edges of the pads where they are held in the carrier, grease the slider surfaces on the pads carrier and finally a smearing of grease where the piston will contact the inner pad and also the two solid castings that outer pad butts up to. Ensure you have cleaned the surfaces of the pad and disc with brake cleaner before you reassemble in case you've transferred grease to them. you shouldn't need to touch the piston unless the rubber protective boot has been damaged.

This will give you trouble free, silent braking and unfortunately garages don't tend to do this kind of maintenance just swap out parts.

If you can't then take it to a trusted garage and ask them to do the work for you.

Edited by CWARD
  • Like 1

I think that I've read on the Polo forum that their dealer's workshops are being authorised to replace stuff to stop this, though currently it seems to be only the GTI owners that are complaining about this.  Another "internet fact" was that the diameter of the rear discs is being reduced from 232mm to 230mm to reduce noise being caused by the outer unused area corroding in early life, as I said, for me so far only an "internet fact" - sometimes these are way off the mark, but I'm mentioning these points anyway, just in case they are useful.

• 1 year later...

I currently own a Skoda Fabia colour edition 2016 14k miles on the clock and it has this really annoying squeaking /squealing noise from rear brakes   More so when car is warm, is this the same problem as mentioned on here  problem being the type of pads on the car ,if so is it a warranty issue  as they should not changing at this sort of mileage .Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks 

Sometimes, the squeaking can come from the splash plate behind the brake discs (probably more commonly called backing plate or something like that), i was getting bad squealing on the fronts after replacing  them, turns out the splash plates were rusted and were rubbing on the edge of the disc, wasn't an issue with the originals cos they were worn thinner and didn't touch.