Sportline Spec Ire

Hello All,

Stumbled across this forum while researching new car options.  What a great resource! Superb Sportline is currently top of wish list.  That decision and the spec that I’m compiling are already heavily influenced by what I’ve learned here.  I welcome any input/opinion that you might have on the below spec.

Ireland based, 25K+ km/yr, currently 2007 Lexus diesel 2.2L (likely EcoGrant fodder).  Majority of mileage work related, solo motorway driving.

As Maddicirl stated on separate thread, Skoda Ireland configurator is something of a mess wrt the Sportline version, and the standard spec is different from UK.

Std Ire (not UK): Reversing Camera, heated front seats

Std UK (not Ire): 19” Vega, Columbus

Currently favouring…

Engine: 2.0 TDI 150 bhp - balance of performance & economy

Transmission: Manual – prefer the feeling of driving/controlling the car

Colour: Business Grey - balance of aesthetics & cleaning maintenance, and generally positive comments here?

Wheels: Standard 18” Zenith - balance of aesthetics & ride.  19” Vega look great, but concerned about ride on Irish roads?  18” Pegasus a possible compromise?

Heated Windscreen - useful on common, very early morning starts

Dynamic Steering – Like what I've read about it here on the forum

Integrated tow bar – practicality & aesthetics of foldaway design, as learned here

Canton Sound System – entertainment on those long journeys, influenced by generally positive reviews here?

Alarm – though not currently an option on configurator?

Considering, but not currently favouring…

BSD/Lane Assist/Light Assist – Have mirrors, eyes & fingers

ACC – Generally positive comments here, but didn’t like/use cruise control on previous cars, felt like passenger

Rear Window Wiper – aesthetics vs usefulness?

Phone Box – not a complete solution?

Amundsen/Sat Nav – not a fan of in-car sat nav. Columbus seems very poor value.  Amundsen better value but sat nav not critical for me.  Bolero 8” screen of sufficient size/quality to make rear camera & media controls usable?

Question in the hope that somebody may know:

Does Ire Sportline spec include a full size spare wheel?

Does Ire SL spec include KESSY – spec/brochure/configurator appear to be at odds?

Thanks for any input/opinion offered.

Irish spec gets a space saver and Kessy (not alarm as standard). We also get front sensors. 

I went with the Amundsen in mine. Used one on a mk 7.5 GTI around Europe earlier in the year and couldn't fault it. Plus it has short cut buttons that I think are essential. Screen is fine for the camera and all that, much higher resolution on MY18 cars. 

Have the heated screen and steering on mine. Both cheap options and worthwhile. Vega wheels are fine on Irish roads. 

I think the rear wiper is actually standard on the saloon here the last while too but appears on the configurator. 

As for engine - it's a personal thing. I found the 150 lacked a bit for overtaking. It's power is a bit smoother though. 

The phonebox (tried it on the golf) is a bit of a waste imo. 

Edited by EoinM

I’m in the same position and have just ordered a Sportline 

150 manual as didn’t want extra servicing on DSG and the huge extra initial expense. The 150 gets good reviews here too

Tow bar (and camera will be v handy here)

Zenith - think they look good and not fond of buying 19in tyres but the Vega do look amazing 

Amunsen - was going to get this as it was cheap but configurator forced phone box so it was then a 700 extra - and the phone has mirror link. Looking on configurator now you can’t add any sat nav? Maybe they are making it standard (wishful thinking?)

Heated washer rather than windscreen - cheaper option but I’m sure not as good

Heated wheel - showing as €0 cost option, dealer said he’d find out 

Rear wiper - it’s 100 quid extra. I think it spoils the ‘exec’ car look so I’ll use Rain-X 

Smart Light Assist - check out the video on this as it’s way more than auto highbeam. I think it be good on our country roads. Note it also gives the windscreen camera which makes it possible to turn on via VCDS the Lane Assist and Traffic Sign recognition 

I’d get more stuff but the car is expensive and I’m trading a 151 Superb and getting hammered on trade in value. You’ll get a great deal scrapping your Lexus

@casati I think the Amundsen is possible to order without the phonebox. I have it, it's gone down in price too in the last while. 

Google maps is a better nav, Apple maps not so much. With the Skoda connect app and using your phone as a hotspot you can use Google for finding addresses though or send destinations to the car for the Amundsen. Handy for businesses and the like. The USB connection on the superb makes it awkward to plug a phone on without it getting in the way. 

Problem with the heated nozzles is it's the tips that are heated, the lines can still be frozen solid. 

Edited by EoinM

Can't comment on Irish Spec SportLine but can say that I have a 150TDI Manual in Business Grey and I'm very pleased with it indeed.  Just rolled over to 13K miles and no issues so far.  I initially wanted Quartz Grey but didn't think there was much contrast between the darker shade and the black trim of the Sportline; the dealer had a Business Grey demo and it just looked nicer IMO, especially with the Vega alloys that are standard over here.   Oh and I think the Sportline rides very well indeed on the 19" wheels.  I was expecting comfort and noise levels to be shocking but they aren't.  

If you need/want a diesel then I personally feel the 150 is the better choice.  Smoother, more refined and power is available more of the time.  The 190 obviously has the bigger numbers, but IME they don't translate to how the car drives.  Engine needs to be worked very hard and it's at the top end/license loosing speeds where it offers anything over the 150.  Lots of posts about this on here.  

I have a few options on mine which you have mentioned: 

Canton - If you can afford it, spec it.  Much nicer sound and worth while if you enjoy listening to music and/or spend a lot of time driving

Heated screen - First had this on a Ford Focus in 2002 and missed it being offered on VAG cars until recently.  One of the first things I spec'd and well worth it IMO.  

ACC - Even with a manual (no follow to stop, like with DSG) the ACC is brilliant and well worth it, especially if you spend a lot of time on motorways

Rear wiper - Yes the aesthetics of the car are compromised but when it's absolutely hammering down and you need to check what's behind, you'll be glad of it.  Rain X or similar just won't cut it IMO.  I've had a car without a rear wiper previously and it was a PITA,even with a rear view camera. 
Traffic Sign Recognition - Not essential but it's the cheapest way to spec the B5 forward facing camera which then allows 'free' upgrades to High Beam Assist and Lane Assist with some VCDS/OBDEleven changes.  It's what I've done and saved a lot of money. 

Spare wheel - If it's not standard on Irish spec then it makes sense to spec it IMO.  

Irish website and Irish dealers for that matter can be quite clueless as to what's included as current spec.  Good call on the 18" wheels given our roads plus you don't want to spoil the ride on what is a very comfortable car.  Can't comment on the Sportline specifically as I have a Style but I regret not getting the heated screen so that would be a useful option IMO.  Personally I love the heated steering wheel as well.  150bhp will be smoother than the 190 and I'd save the difference and spend it on extras.  I'd question the usefulness of an alarm these days as nobody takes much notice of them anyway!

2 hours ago, casati said:

I’d get more stuff but the car is expensive and I’m trading a 151 Superb and getting hammered on trade in value. You’ll get a great deal scrapping your Lexus

Out of interest, I'm curious about the poor trade-in value - is that because its the older model or are values beginning to fall generally?

Brexit to blame, basically garages  in Ireland are pricing trade-in’s based on the lowest cost to buy a similar car in U.K and import here. The focus is on scrappage to keep up the sales and the 0% pcp for everyone else

4 hours ago, EoinM said:

@casati I think the Amundsen is possible to order without the phonebox. I have it, it's gone down in price too in the last while. 

Google maps is a better nav, Apple maps not so much. With the Skoda connect app and using your phone as a hotspot you can use Google for finding addresses though or send destinations to the car for the Amundsen. Handy for businesses and the like. The USB connection on the superb makes it awkward to plug a phone on without it getting in the way. 

Problem with the heated nozzles is it's the tips that are heated, the lines can still be frozen solid. 

I just rang the dealer and he said ignore the configurator and that he can add amunsen for 319 quid extra so I think I’ll go with it. 

I have Sound System on my MkII and not terribly impressed (but I’m not really  big music fan), is Canton much better? 

I would recommend the Amundsen also and get the traffic sign recognition for the VCDS options later. The wifi box was a €0 cost option when I ordered but seems to have disappeared off the configurator leaving only the phone box which is an additional €300 odd, the main benefit for me with the phonebox is somewhere to put the phone (I don't have the phonebox). CarPlay has been very flakey for me, would not like to be relying on it for directions incase it disconnects at a critical moment, also I like the direction arrows on the maxidot. Also Google maps is not available on CarPlay as afar as I can tell, I have Google maps on the phone but no icon in CarPlay.

Full size spare was also a €0 option. Rear wiper ruins the look of the hatch imo, visibility is quite poor out the back on the hatch and you'll rely on the mirrors and reversing camera (except at night :blink:) more regardless. I don't have the rear wiper and don't miss it, although I believe it does add a washer for the camera which might be useful.

Dynamic steering, yes! Car rides fine on 19"s, although 15mm lower than the standard car there is still plenty of suspension travel.

Standard sound system is more than adequate

Get them to throw in mud flaps and if you can the first aid, triangle and the tablet holder (these are not standard equipment in Ireland), car mats are standard.

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply.  If only the Skoda Ireland dealer/website/brochure/configurator combination could even come close to matching this forum for product knowledge, clarity or responsiveness.

FYI, unless the configurator technicians here are seeing something that I’m not, this is the current set-up re: Amundsen & Traffic Assist.

(1) In order to select Travel Assist €81 (for windscreen camera), you must pre-select Amundsen €315 or Columbus €1629

(2) In order to select (a) Amundsen or (b) Columbus), you must pre-select Care Connect 1 year, and Infotainment Online 1 year €0, and Private Emergency Call System €0

(3.a) If you select Amundsen, you must then take Phone box with Wireless phone charging and Wi-Fi €335 and the ‘Smoker’s Version’ €0

By the time you get to the overview page, Phone Box & Amundsen inflate to €339 & €319 (€8 in ~60 seconds)

(3.b) If you alternatively select Columbus, you must then take either Phone box with Wireless phone charging, Wi-Fi with LTE internet €815, or Bluetooth Wi-fi with LTE internet €480. 

(3.b.1) If you select Phone Box, you must then also select Smoker’s Version €0 and DAB €125.  Columbus then inflates to €1646 (+€17), and Phone Box to €824 (+€9) in the hyper-inflated 60 seconds to the overview page.  Oh, and the DAB should not feel undervalued, it has by now inflated to €126.

(3.b.2) If you select Bluetooth Wi-fi with LTE inter, you must then also select DAB €125.  And guess what?  Yep, Bluetooth Wi-fi with LTE internet also runs the inflation gauntlet and emerges fully scathed at €485 on the summary page.

:speechless:  

As per casati's comment, probably best to enquire of a dealer re: adding Amundsen, rather than via the configurator.

Enquire at the dealer about the wifi option instead of the phonebox, was available when I ordered back in June at €0. It is currently missing from the Irish configurator but is available on the UK configurator. The price inflation may have to do with VRT which may depend on other selected options.

To be honest it’s v hit and miss with spec on options in Ireland, not only is the online configuration often wrong (eg it’s showing heated steering at 0 cost) so too is the dealers backend system! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, casati said:

To be honest it’s v hit and miss with spec on options in Ireland, not only is the online configuration often wrong (eg it’s showing heated steering at 0 cost) so too is the dealers backend system! 

Exactly!  As I've found out myself on more than one occasion!

i was in the dealership on Friday ready to order my SportLine and having agreed the priced, the manager came in and tol em that it may be best to wait until 24 No as they'll be offering the sunroof and the vegas free of charge! the price of the car will go up from 24th Nov by 250 euro but close to 1800 euro of extras FoC.

While happy with the sunroof, not thrilled with 19'' rims TBH

1 hour ago, dubincalling said:

i was in the dealership on Friday ready to order my SportLine and having agreed the priced, the manager came in and tol em that it may be best to wait until 24 No as they'll be offering the sunroof and the vegas free of charge! the price of the car will go up from 24th Nov by 250 euro but close to 1800 euro of extras FoC.

While happy with the sunroof, not thrilled with 19'' rims TBH

I wonder is it FOC because of a spec change or are they under pressure with sales?  Seems a good deal but the 19s would be questionable alright

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Superb170 said:

I wonder is it FOC because of a spec change or are they under pressure with sales?  Seems a good deal but the 19s would be questionable alright

I'd say the later.

BMW and Mercedes have lowered their prices significantly and it may be they are feeling the pinch. Skoda is no longer a budget car!

Seen a L&K (181) in the back park of the dealership and it had really nice chrome alloys so, will be asking if the SprtLine can be gotten with those. The configurator doesnt list them!

Ive heard the 19’s are fine but maybe more expensive to replace, but if you can get sunroof and 19’s for 250 quid you’d be mad not to go with it.

Looks like I ordered mine a few weeks too early! 

Also I’m sure you’d get the dealer to swap them out for 18’s free of charge if you don’t like them. I was told you’ve only the two options on the Sportline in Ireland and can’t order any other model wheel 

• Like 1

I didn't get the vegas because here they are 1100 euro option (which is outrageos for only 1 inch difference,and considering other 19s cost 400 euros). Now i am looking to buy them seperatly,they look stunning and i can buy them for around 1000 euro mark (even less then they were as upgrade) so i am left with "free" 18" zenith for winter set. If you get vegas for "free" you shouldn't take them of the car,they won't affect ride too much but they make the car really stand out. Which color did you choose? I went for black magic,i love the stealthy look it gives the car. Silver won't do sportline justice(but is very maintainace frendly).

As far as engine goes,i got the 190 dsg 4x4. Had sights on 280 (it costs the same in my country) but few things made it irrational in my case. As far as 150-190 comparison goes. 150 has more than enough for safe overtaking,it will get the job done. But 190 feels much more powerful,and it has power in higher revs. I haven't tried the manual 190,but in dsg it keeps it in too low revs,where it is prety dead(thats why some say 150 is same) but put shifter in S (or even better,manual selection via paddles) it changes its nature,in gear acceleration feels really good thanks to torque. And it feels 2 times quicker when in manual mode. 

But 150 will get the job done for sure. 

I would just advise you consider 4x4,it is the best thing you can feet to the car (and progressive steering).

On 16/11/2017 at 10:12, penguin17 said:

Can't comment on Irish Spec SportLine but can say that I have a 150TDI Manual in Business Grey and I'm very pleased with it indeed.  Just rolled over to 13K miles and no issues so far.  I initially wanted Quartz Grey but didn't think there was much contrast between the darker shade and the black trim of the Sportline; the dealer had a Business Grey demo and it just looked nicer IMO, especially with the Vega alloys that are standard over here.   Oh and I think the Sportline rides very well indeed on the 19" wheels.  I was expecting comfort and noise levels to be shocking but they aren't.  

If you need/want a diesel then I personally feel the 150 is the better choice.  Smoother, more refined and power is available more of the time.  The 190 obviously has the bigger numbers, but IME they don't translate to how the car drives.  Engine needs to be worked very hard and it's at the top end/license loosing speeds where it offers anything over the 150.  Lots of posts about this on here.  

I have a few options on mine which you have mentioned: 

Canton - If you can afford it, spec it.  Much nicer sound and worth while if you enjoy listening to music and/or spend a lot of time driving

Heated screen - First had this on a Ford Focus in 2002 and missed it being offered on VAG cars until recently.  One of the first things I spec'd and well worth it IMO.  

ACC - Even with a manual (no follow to stop, like with DSG) the ACC is brilliant and well worth it, especially if you spend a lot of time on motorways

Rear wiper - Yes the aesthetics of the car are compromised but when it's absolutely hammering down and you need to check what's behind, you'll be glad of it.  Rain X or similar just won't cut it IMO.  I've had a car without a rear wiper previously and it was a PITA,even with a rear view camera. 
Traffic Sign Recognition - Not essential but it's the cheapest way to spec the B5 forward facing camera which then allows 'free' upgrades to High Beam Assist and Lane Assist with some VCDS/OBDEleven changes.  It's what I've done and saved a lot of money. 

Spare wheel - If it's not standard on Irish spec then it makes sense to spec it IMO.  

Hi, I’m new to all the VCDS discussions but get the gist of it in that it’s used to enable/disable settings within the car software etc. Am I correct in my assumption that the likes of Lane Assist etc are “installed” but not enabled and VCDS is used for this purpose?  My new spec’d Octavia Sportline has Auto Light Assist as an option -will this then allow me to have other safety features enabled FOC so to speak?

Before the build get locked-in, is there anything else I should be considering?  Thanks..

EEC9ABC5-4666-4927-862B-CF7B6A6DC5A4.thumb.png.84d67de77db05a84e06566f341136f07.pnge

Though the Skoda Ire website currently states that the EcoGrant is available on all orders before 30th Nov, a dealer has informed me that sportline will not be available with EcoGrant after the 24th Nov.

So, it looks like, as of 24th Nov, the EcoGrant offer will expire, replaced by the Vega/sunroof offer (& €250 price increase) ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SeanG said:

Hi, I’m new to all the VCDS discussions but get the gist of it in that it’s used to enable/disable settings within the car software etc. Am I correct in my assumption that the likes of Lane Assist etc are “installed” but not enabled and VCDS is used for this purpose?  My new spec’d Octavia Sportline has Auto Light Assist as an option -will this then allow me to have other safety features enabled FOC so to speak?

Before the build get locked-in, is there anything else I should be considering?  Thanks..

EEC9ABC5-4666-4927-862B-CF7B6A6DC5A4.thumb.png.84d67de77db05a84e06566f341136f07.pnge

Yes you’d be able to enable lane assist and traffic sign recognition I believe. I’ve done the opposite and specced traffic sign recognition and will enable high beam assist and lane assist. 

• Haha 1