Cabin fan works but often no air comes our

Hi,

ive got a 2.0 TDi 06 plate elegance.

Recently I’ve noticed air doesn’t always come out of the vents, even when the fan is on full. It will be an almost unnoticeable trickle.

This seems to happen after the car has been running a while and will work ok to start with.

I can hear the fan working, and it’s louder the higher I have the fan selected but makes no difference to the air coming out.

It is the same on any vent selection and if it’s on Auto or manual.

I also do t think the fan is as strong as it should be. If it’s been icy the windscreen mists up when I get in and it take ages to clear, even with the fan on windscreen and on full.

It’s been in the garage recently for turbo, flywheel and clutch replacement, so I got them to look at the fan.

There are no fault codes and they could t diagnose a problem without getting into a whole dash strip.

Ive done the Manual reset but in general it all works ok for a bit before the fault kicks in.

Anyone got any ideas what I can try?

Thanks

Does the air insist in coming out in one of the positions like directed to floor or windscreen? Sounds like a flap is sticking just. Not sure specifically but they may cycle on start up do you ever hear a quiet tapping behind dash anywhere when turning key to on position or shortly after starting car?  

No, when it works, choice is mine to where the air goes.

when it doesn’t work/ trickles lightly through, it doesn’t seem to be coming out anywhere else with force. The only place I’ve noticed it was coming out was the Vent in the glove box.

i sometimes here some clicks of similar noise from behind the centre consol/dash near or around start up, but it’s never noticeably led to anything being different

Strangely I'm having the exact same issue. Works fine for a while then the blown air noticeably decreases. It's like say fan speed 2 when it's on full blast. The car was frosted first thing this morning and fan cleared it pretty quickly but by the time I got back home it was hardly working. Speed switch all fine shows on the stereo when speed is turned up or down. It's a bit baffling to be honest. I removed the fan yesterday just to check for anything obvious but all seemed well. The brushes looked quite low but trying to view them was a bit awkward and it's not clear if they are removable. The fan was quite noisy a while back like a mouse! I oiled the bearings up and all was ok. Hopefully someone can help.

I've got this problem and I thought I'd nailed down this issue by unplugging the recirc flap motor V70. Went for a spin today and problem reappeared. I now suspect the evap sensor G263 is allowing the evaporator to ice up and restrict air flow. I'll try a decent length journey with the ac turned off and see what happens.

It is funny how it works for so long then starts playing up. I'll try that too running with a/c turned off and I'll see if that helps. Just as a matter of interest though, where is the G263 evap sensor located?

I've just checked in my Haynes manual for the G263 Evap sensor. It looks like it's behind the driver' side panel in the facia. So very easy to access. A quick scan doesn't show any fault codes.

I did a long journey yesterday and as expected fans worked for a bit but then the air flow reduced to a trickle.

wheni changed the temperature the air flow would sometimes increase for a while.

if I used ‘Econ’ then the blowers worked prettty much normally 

No progress for me on this I'm afraid. I ran the car on econ mode and the fans ran ok as normal but it was only on a few short local runs so not conclusive. Did you have a look for the G263 Evap sensor? I think it's going to be easy enough to replace.

On 21 November 2017 at 06:25, Reddcousemouse said:

I did a long journey yesterday and as expected fans worked for a bit but then the air flow reduced to a trickle.

wheni changed the temperature the air flow would sometimes increase for a while.

if I used ‘Econ’ then the blowers worked prettty much normally 

Sounds like your climatronic unit is working correctly.

The air throught the vents is reduced when set temperature is reached to improve comfort, as well as some other things. If you still want a lot of air through the vents then press the control button for front vents. It will come out of Auto mode but still control the set temperature automatically. You will then be given manual control over the fan speed too.

I use this to heat up the rear passenger space and defrost their windows in winter.

Pressing the vent control button will also prove that the control flap and its motor are working.

Edited by pikpilot

Pikpilot, some of us are definitely having an issue with the climate control. On long journeys the ventilation stops working and the car gets cold or mists up. We can hear the fans working and can turn them up to max but no airflow is detected. A 10 minute stop is usually enough to reset the system. I strongly suspect the evaporator is freezing up and blocking airflow, this could be caused by a faulty sensor. Hope that clears up your confusion :tongueout:

Definitely somethng amiss with mine as well. By vent control I'm presuming you mean either to face/feet/windscreen? I run mine with the blowers to face with the light on that button on. And blows ok for so long ( maybe 10 to 15 mins ) then noticebly reduces air flow with no buttons pressed or settings changed. I tried running it on econ mode yesterday and seemed fine but as it's rained here for two days solid the car kept steaming up so had to switch a/c back on. Does anyone know the sequence of buttons to press to run a test on the climate system?

From memory, to reset the flaps on a FL, press and hold AC and face vent together until the LED's start flashing. I'll see if I can find a pinout for the Climate panel. It'll be easier to measure the sensor thermistor from there.

A further bit of digging reveals that Skoda have already given us all the tools required to investigate this issue. Google "climatronic hidden menu" and you should easily find the info that will enable you to investigate all the sensors and settings. I'm not able to do this because I have a android head unit that doesn't display the data correctly. Can someone look at their faulty climate and  report back. I'm specifically interested in 9-0 and 10-0 settings.

Instructions here ; http://www.my-gti.com/224/volkswagen-climatronic-diagnostics

I'm thinking about throwing the Bolero back in this weekend, so I can get this issue resolved.

• Like 1

Well I've just had a new condenser fitted about 6 months ago so if my refrigerant is low I won't be best pleased. My car is a pre f/l but I'll try and carry out a test on the system and report back.

My compressor is new and works well when the fans are playing ball.

running with Econ on, the fans work fine and don’t drop out.

so, are we thinking for me it’s the G263 problem?

It’s not long been regassed and it got a check over when the new compressor was fitted. Might get it checked when it gets serviced, which is soon

Edited by Reddcousemouse

Same thing happened again today. Blower fan set to face and running ok for maybe 15 minutes then quite a noticeble drop in air. Switched a/c off and after a time it increased. I tried going into the hidden menu but not sure if I'm doing it right as using the left rotor switch it only goes up to 3.1 then back to zero.