Auto Hold - Brake sticking

Hi All, not posted for a long while had my Superb business for over 18 months.

Ever since I have had it, very occasionally the Auto Hold doesn't release after the Start stop. Its not every time maybe only 10% of  the time. Another depress of the clutch and it then frees. It goes with out saying the fault is never present when I am at the dealers. Has this happened to anyone else.

• Like 1

Same problem with mine too... from new. I have also been able to recreate the problem by using just the EPB so it’s not just auto hold. I actually suspect it’s just the rear causing the issue the way it dips when it happens. Although maybe auto hold only uses the EPB? It seems to be mostly in a car park or pulling away from junctions where the clutch is only briefly dipped. Putting it in neutral and fully releasing the clutch seems to clear it. Maybe a clutch sensor/software issue?

I noticed a post from someone who changed their “driving style” (quite vague) when they had the same problem so I switched to driving off on idle power (when possible) and it seems far less frequent. It definitely appears to affect rushed manoeuvres more, which obviously doesn’t instil confidence.

With the recent VW group EPB software recall I wonder if they have gone too far the other way and it’s now too aggressive? An EPB that was too weak wouldn’t be great when combined with VW legendary rear disk corrosion.

EDIT: I switch off Start Stop so we may have a different issue.

Edited by Alan_P

Just to add to my post. I had a a long (for me trip) 150+ miles and towards the end of the journey it was happening aleast every other time. The return journey was a little less stop / start and it didn't happen at all.

Overall quite frustrating.

• 2 months later...

Hi, am having the same problem! Driving me mad, been into garage 4 times now and they can't find any issues, frustrating. Happens at traffic lights/roundabouts, apply foot brake, clutch down with car in 1st gear and when I go to pull away the brake is stuck on. Have to take out of gear, put back in and the brake releases. Very intermittent though some days it happens all the time. Did you manage to get the problem resolved?

It seems to happen less often on mine with 3k on the clock now (once every 10 trips) although I might just be adapting to it. I noticed that a firm second press of the brake after pulling up seems to stop it from happening during a “sticky” phase. I suppose this would tell the system that it wasn’t auto hold slippage that needs corrected.

It’s certainly not as good as two previous cars I’ve had with auto hold though. I had no issues with them at all although they were auto and this is a manual box. How hard can it be to detect a released clutch?

There is a lot to be said for Fixed Servicing 9,400 miles / 372 days.

But not just Main Dealer Servicing be that Minor / Fixed or Major / Variable and look see and report.

Proper Servicing and maintenance that includes servicing brakes.

Not just changing brake fluid at first in 3 years then every 2, and changing pads when worn out or more commonly now Discs & Pads at the same time.

Are you suggesting a lack of proper servicing is causing the issue?

12 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

There is a lot to be said for Fixed Servicing 9,400 miles / 372 days.

But not just Main Dealer Servicing be that Minor / Fixed or Major / Variable and look see and report.

Proper Servicing and maintenance that includes servicing brakes.

Not just changing brake fluid at first in 3 years then every 2, and changing pads when worn out or more commonly now Discs & Pads at the same time.

Yes i am suggesting that more brake issues are occurring as brakes get more complex and no Brake Servicing is happening.

It is common on even the cars still with drums on the rear, discs on the rear and a mechanical hand / parking brake, and now the latest brake systems.

I have a 2016 car with DSG , Auto Hold, Electric Parking Brake and i know how sticky the brakes can be now in its 2nd winter

& in another 3,000 miles when serviced nothing will be done to the brakes.

That will be 2 winters of salted roads, discs that have cosmetic corrosion now after every time parked.

PS

?

Is anyone suggesting it is how the Engineers / Manufacturers designed the brakes to be after not very long in a cars life.

Sticking brakes as you try to move off, a feature that you get for free.

Something to cherish and enjoy!  Or basically fundamental design, manufacturing, material, component sourcing, workmanship failings, 

ie cheap discs / pads that the VW Group buy in the millions.

Edited by AwaoffSki

10 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

Yes i am suggesting that more brake issues are occurring as brakes get more complex and no Brake Servicing is happening.

It is common on even the cars still with drums on the rear, discs on the rear and a mechanical hand / parking brake, and now the latest brake systems.

An interesting point AwaoffSki. Any recommendations as to what we should be asking the dealers to do? (I haven't had this problem myself but don't want it to start).

It appears that at least two people in the thread have had this issue from new. It seems to have become a little better now there is 3000 miles on mine. I’m guessing that on at least one of E_RO's trips to the dealer they would have checked/serviced the brakes? Other than reading fault codes and winding in/out, I’m not even sure the EPB is a workshop serviceable unit? I wonder if E_RO had the issue from new too?

Being a very intermittent issue that appears to increase brake force on movement, I would suspect faulty coding or dodgy sensor.

17 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

I have a 2016 car with DSG , Auto Hold, Electric Parking Brake and i know how sticky the brakes can be now in its 2nd winter

& in another 3,000 miles when serviced nothing will be done to the brakes.

That will be 2 winters of salted roads, discs that have cosmetic corrosion now after every time parked.

PS

?

Is anyone suggesting it is how the Engineers / Manufacturers designed the brakes to be after not very long in a cars life.

Sticking brakes as you try to move off, a feature that you get for free.

Something to cherish and enjoy!  Or basically fundamental design, manufacturing, material, component sourcing, workmanship failings, 

ie cheap discs / pads that the VW Group buy in the millions.

BriskodaJeff,

You just report it while the car is in Warranty, at least then logged.

Not looking great for cars by the time they are over 3 years old, used cars at 5 years etc.

Not much that can be done other than fit different brake pads from the OEM ones and hope they are better.

My car is leased i do not pay for services and am not touching it. 

If it was mine it would get new pads on it.