MOT Due

As per AwaoffSki's post, no. But have heard from my contacts in the trade that from 2019 it will be a requirement for all cars with SS to have that function working. It is after all a part of the emissions system to reduce crap when stationary.

That will be fun, taking emissions from an engine stopped, or installing some rolling road in all UK MOT Stations with a programme where engines will run and the emissions taken, then the car will stop and the engine stop.

That can be done using the Brake Test Rollers.

(Then those owners that complain as they roll up to a stop and the engine switches off can have that confirmed at the MOT, 

and those that stop and have no Stop / Start function and a MOT failure can have Warranty repairs by manufacturers with the Testers evidence.)

As it is Stop / Start disables with high battery load, or low temperature, or difference between heating setting and ambient temps etc, 

so i take it a Stop / Start test for a MOT will ensure that the Manufacturers have Stop / Start vehicles that always stop / start in the real outside world.

There is not even a MOT Regulation to test the DRL's if fitted to cars Type Approved after Feb 2011 & have them fitted as standard.

No Emissions test for a vehicle running at full revenue weight and towing a caravan to see how the carbons are.

Edited by AwaoffSki

Given that it doesn't work on many cars due to the battery never having enough time to charge how can they test the system? If I had known about the 2019 I may gone for the simpler Dacia instead. It just seems the crap that is fitted the more likely the car is to fail its MOT :( I will miss my simple Panda.

Edited by MozzyMarr

If the system works as designed it can't fail the mot. To check it is working they would need to put a charger on the battery to make sure that the current is high enough to operate the ss. You can't have a ss system that would work regardless of battery drain because you would , in certain circumstances, end up with a flat battery.

It just seems that the MOT will end up being a very complicated and over the top test.  Apart of the cynic in me thing it is designed so we have to through away perfectly good cars after 7 years if things like stop start fails and cost too much to fix.  I am not sure what sensors are involved in the system but I assume it is actually a fairly simple system as most of the sensors are already there. The ECU already knows the state of the battery etc. 

6 hours ago, Estate Man said:

As per AwaoffSki's post, no. But have heard from my contacts in the trade that from 2019 it will be a requirement for all cars with SS to have that function working. It is after all a part of the emissions system to reduce crap when stationary.

Bet that doesn't happen. 

Those contacts in the Trade must be more clued than those in the DfT or are the DfT or Derren Brown.

I have a feeling the DfT / DVSA / Chris Grayling MP have not a clue what Philip Hammond MP or the Treasury Civil Servants were thinking of yesterday.

'New Cars not meeting the current standards', ie standards not yet introduced and not going to be met by April 2018.

Got to say I don't have all the details yet myself. One of my ex-MOT tester colleagues mentioned it to me, and I also read this somewhere a while ago, but can't think where. So I'm thinking this will happen. We all know the MOT test is changing in line with new regs and it will be easy to check the SS system. The onus will clearly be on owners to rock up to the test with a car that has sufficient charge in the battery, by either going for a short drive first to get that charge or giving the battery a short burst on the charger. It's called prepping your car for the test in much the same way as folks do now. Checking your lights, tyres etc and for example, it's recommended that you take your diesel car for a quick blast immediately before presenting at the test to clean the dpf, and engine to help emissions etc. Not a big deal is it if true!

The Big Deal is MOT Test Centres in the main in the UK purchase the equipment.

Time every MOT Station was Web cammed up.  Time that all were honest, odd how VOSA and then now DVSA allow so many to have dodgy practices.

Maybe time to Nationalise all MOT Stations, be Council owned Facilities as there are plenty already, build them at Weigh Bridges, and at Park & Ride areas becside EV charging stations, then they will test stations and not Repair Garages.

Edited by AwaoffSki