Looking into a Yeti.....

Exponential

Hi everyone.

I am just looking for some advice on Yeti ownership and thought this would be the ideal place to ask.

We, as a family, are having a bit of a (sometimes heated) debate about what to do about our current car and how to save money on fuel costs and general maintenance. 

We currently use a Nissan Qashqai 2ltr Diesel 180bhp and it is costing us around 100-120 a month in fuel and is showing an average of 33 mpg.

We generally get around 320 miles on a full tank. 

Initially, the car was fit for purpose as my wife used it Monday to Friday to drop our daughter off at school then drive to work and back which meant it got a good run but now, due to her mum being terminally ill, she has given up work to be there for her mum. 

Now, she generally uses the car for very short journeys daily and always within a 5 mile radius of our home.

This is not ideal for a 2ltr diesel as the engine barely gets warm if at all before the engine is switched off again.

I've had my eye on the 1.2 SE L manual but the wife doesn't like the looks of the Yeti which I think is ridiculous as I find it to be quite appealing with its quirky looks (hence the debates).

Do you guys think the 1.2 would be a suitable purchase for our needs? We have two young children and the car would be used for the school run and short town trips with the occasional long distance drive out.

Any advice on economy, running costs etc would be extremely helpful as I don't want to go buy a Ford Kuga or some other similar car just because everyone else does! 

Thanks in advance........

Mike.

Welcome.

The Yeti would be perfect, but is life not happier if the driver gets a car they like the looks of?

Plenty petrol MPV's around to choose from. Nissan Dealers will have a Note or Micra in.

If she does not like how a Yeti looks show her a Roomster.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

Welcome.

The Yeti would be perfect, but is life not happier if the driver gets a car they like the looks of?

Plenty petrol MPV's around to choose from. Nissan Dealers will have a Note or Micra in.

If she does not like how a Yeti looks show her a Roomster.

Hi.

Thanks for the welcome.

You make a very good point, I guess if she doesn't like the looks of it to drive then it's a pointless venture BUT.....I'm hoping that you guys can give me enough ammunition to "sway" her a little. .hehehe.

We've looked the Note and Micra but she's not keen. We both love the look of the new Peugeot 3008 but we don't love the price! 

Yeah, the Roomster is definitely "different"....:D

Earlier this year I moved to a Yeti (SEL 1.2 Drive) from a Nisan Note.

As much as I love my new purchase, I found the Note to have more rear-seat legroom than the Yeti. I am 6'6" and adult passengers could comfortably sit behind me without me having to compromise my driving position.

Also, the mph was superior to the Yeti.

I read that your wife doesn't like the Nissan nor the Yeti. Fair enough.

Perhaps inviting her to list the cars she does like might a way to take the heat out of the debates.

Wish you well in your decision-making.

• Thanks 1

Have a long look at the boot space in the Yeti, since it might be a bit tight for a family of 4. If it has a spare wheel, this room is reduced still further. The car itself should otherwise be fine and you're definitely better going for the petrol one given that kind of journey pattern. Is the 1.2 Yeti better for your family than the 1.6 petrol Qashqai?

Edited by HowardBury
  • Thanks 1

I agree with the space in the back seats, it really is quite tight. Boot space is probably fine for most people because of how easy it is to stack upwards in it. Driver room is decent. Mpg for me is poor in my 1.2 DSG (32 average on short trips. But it will go to about 40-45 on a run)

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, gman88667733 said:

I agree with the space in the back seats, it really is quite tight. Boot space is probably fine for most people because of how easy it is to stack upwards in it. Driver room is decent. Mpg for me is poor in my 1.2 DSG (32 average on short trips. But it will go to about 40-45 on a run)

I find this surprising!

I'm 6'1" and find there is plenty of space in the rear of the Yeti for passengers. This I feel is one of the strong points of the Yeti given its overall size. For its possible replacement I'm looking at somewhat bigger cars like the Tiguan or Q5 to give me similar rear legroom.

To the OP, you don't say whether you are looking at new or second-hand? If new, you could take a look at the Karoq when it's in the dealers and your wife might find it more acceptable, or maybe the SEAT Ateca? 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nugbuv said:

Earlier this year I moved to a Yeti (SEL 1.2 Drive) from a Nisan Note.

As much as I love my new purchase, I found the Note to have more rear-seat legroom than the Yeti. I am 6'6" and adult passengers could comfortably sit behind me without me having to compromise my driving position.

Also, the mph was superior to the Yeti.

I read that your wife doesn't like the Nissan nor the Yeti. Fair enough.

Perhaps inviting her to list the cars she does like might a way to take the heat out of the debates.

Wish you well in your decision-making.

It would mainly be the kids in the back so the legroom issue isn't a problem to be honest..

You say the "mph" was superior in the Note. Did you mean MPG?

I think your idea of writing down a list is the way forward. I think doing that will allow us to discuss any compromises that have to be made. Brill! 

2 hours ago, HowardBury said:

Have a long look at the boot space in the Yeti, since it might be a bit tight for a family of 4. If it has a spare wheel, this room is reduced still further. The car itself should otherwise be fine and you're definitely better going for the petrol one given that kind of journey pattern. Is the 1.2 Yeti better for your family than the 1.6 petrol Qashqai?

I have checked out the boot space and it would suit our needs. Declan is two years old in a week and he only needs a stroller these days but is pretty much walking everywhere now so it ticks the box for space there.

I never considered the petrol Qashqai....now you've nudged the hornets nest! :D

2 hours ago, gman88667733 said:

Ouch! Only 32 MPG...same as mine now. :o

1 hour ago, JED said:

1.2 is a good engine plenty of power but it will drink a bit more fuel .

Yeah, I agree there. That's the downside to a small engine, you gotta thrash it to get to motorway speeds. I don't even have to try in mine and I'm at 70 but that's one of the few plus points really.

1 hour ago, VAGCF said:

I find this surprising!

I'm 6'1" and find there is plenty of space in the rear of the Yeti for passengers. This I feel is one of the strong points of the Yeti given its overall size. For its possible replacement I'm looking at somewhat bigger cars like the Tiguan or Q5 to give me similar rear legroom.

To the OP, you don't say whether you are looking at new or second-hand? If new, you could take a look at the Karoq when it's in the dealers and your wife might find it more acceptable, or maybe the SEAT Ateca? 

I'm open to all ideas at present. The trouble is, the Qashqai is on HP and we will lose out financially no matter what if we sell/swap it. 

We have 3 years left to pay at £200 a month....I know I know...:blush:.

If we get a new or nearly new it will have to be awesome to try to ease the blow of depriciation. 

Have considered the models you suggest but they are brand new and carry a hefty price tag so am a bit unsure? 

Maybe go PCP route and swap it every 3 years?

I just don't know....:sadsmile:

1 hour ago, pee81 said:

We bought our 1.2 SE-L yeti back in June and it’s been a great family car, plenty of space and decent fuel economy 

I'm heading this a LOT...a great family car with good fuel economy. It's not easy this choosing a new car or stick with what you have malarkey! :blink:

45 minutes ago, Exponential said:

It would mainly be the kids in the back so the legroom issue isn't a problem to be honest..

You say the "mph" was superior in the Note. Did you mean MPG?

I think your idea of writing down a list is the way forward. I think doing that will allow us to discuss any compromises that have to be made. Brill! 

Good spot! Yes I did mean mpg...could regularly get 50mpg on a run...the kindest thing I can say about my Yeti on the same route and similar condition is  – not yet!

On a positive note, with the back seats down, the Yeti becomes a family van. Handy for recycling centre visits and shipping kids to uni.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, gman88667733 said:

It is worth noting my MPG is low because my daily commute is very hilly coming home, which is brutal on my fuel. I averaged 40.1 mpg overall today with mixed town/dual carriageway driving over about 60 miles. 

Thanks for that! It really helps to know not just the MPG but the "type" of driving conditions...good info! :)

How badly do used battery cars depreciate?.

Is a second car not an option compared to the changeover cost of a petrol one?.

Battery is ideal for her town driving I would have thought......and lower your short trip mileage which is doing the diesel no good.

Plus more flexibility.

Do subsidies still apply?.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Exponential said:

I'm open to all ideas at present. The trouble is, the Qashqai is on HP and we will lose out financially no matter what if we sell/swap it. 

We have 3 years left to pay at £200 a month....I know I know...:blush:.

If we get a new or nearly new it will have to be awesome to try to ease the blow of depriciation. 

Have considered the models you suggest but they are brand new and carry a hefty price tag so am a bit unsure? 

Maybe go PCP route and swap it every 3 years?

I just don't know....:sadsmile:

Firstly don't worry about the cost of the fuel in sense there is no point aiming to save £20 per month in fuel, if changing the vehicle results in you being £1000 out of pocket.

Obviously a diesel will not like loads of short journeys as the regenerations will not happen which will ultimately lead to higher repair costs.  Yes you need to switch to petrol, at some stage, but is now the best time.    You might find that when the Karoq is in the dealers (in few weeks time) the Yeti price drops a bit.

If you have decided to swap cars every  2-3 years don't do a PCP, they include hefty option premium (option to buy), simply find a PCH (hire) lease deal, they tend to be cheaper.

There are lease comparison sites, if you are looking at Karoq (Yeti replacement), remember there is also Seat Ateca (basically same, but different spec levels) and because the PCH are calculated using estimated residuals, the petrol can be good value (with the DSG auto often cheaper than the manual), see this link for examples of price (if you want low deposit, increase the monthly limit, but total over the 24 or 36 months will be similar)  Simply add up all the payments (including deposit) and divide by number of months to give average cost per month

https://www.contracthireandleasing.com/personal/car-leasing/skoda/karoq/

By paying 9 months up front, plenty of choice under £150 per month.  If you only pay 1 month up front (plus the fee for deal), there are monthlies below your £200 budget.

For a 2 year deal, might only need one intermediate service, and no repairs or mot cost

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ryeman said:

How badly do used battery cars depreciate?.

Is a second car not an option compared to the changeover cost of a petrol one?.

Battery is ideal for her town driving I would have thought......and lower your short trip mileage which is doing the diesel no good.

Plus more flexibility.

Do subsidies still apply?.

I have actually considered a Hybrid. You make a very sensible argument there....

I'm led to believe the hybrids run on battery up to 30mph which would be extremely handy especially for her style and type of driving...

I'll look into it further...:)

30 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

Firstly don't worry about the cost of the fuel in sense there is no point aiming to save £20 per month in fuel, if changing the vehicle results in you being £1000 out of pocket.

Obviously a diesel will not like loads of short journeys as the regenerations will not happen which will ultimately lead to higher repair costs.  Yes you need to switch to petrol, at some stage, but is now the best time.    You might find that when the Karoq is in the dealers (in few weeks time) the Yeti price drops a bit.

If you have decided to swap cars every  2-3 years don't do a PCP, they include hefty option premium (option to buy), simply find a PCH (hire) lease deal, they tend to be cheaper.

There are lease comparison sites, if you are looking at Karoq (Yeti replacement), remember there is also Seat Ateca (basically same, but different spec levels) and because the PCH are calculated using estimated residuals, the petrol can be good value (with the DSG auto often cheaper than the manual), see this link for examples of price (if you want low deposit, increase the monthly limit, but total over the 24 or 36 months will be similar)  Simply add up all the payments (including deposit) and divide by number of months to give average cost per month

https://www.contracthireandleasing.com/personal/car-leasing/skoda/karoq/

By paying 9 months up front, plenty of choice under £150 per month.  If you only pay 1 month up front (plus the fee for deal), there are monthlies below your £200 budget.

For a 2 year deal, might only need one intermediate service, and no repairs or mot cost

I'll be honest, lease (PCH) did not enter my mind at all! 

I've just clicked the link you provided and entered some hypothetical figures and you're right, it looks to be a viable alternative.

Excellent information there, thankyou very much.

Your first two paragraphs have pretty much nailed it. I'm looking for a petrol car which will be cheap to run but I'll lose out big time with the sale of the Qashqai.......this is definitely not an easy decision. :sweat:

We jumped into buying the Qashqai because our old Micra bit the dust and it was a silly thing to do but the circumstances at the time warranted it (new baby).

Now our circumstances have dramatically changed and we are left with a bit of a decision to make...

This is like therapy. :D

23 minutes ago, Exponential said:

I have actually considered a Hybrid. You make a very sensible argument there....

I'm led to believe the hybrids run on battery up to 30mph which would be extremely handy especially for her style and type of driving...

I'll look into it further...:)

Hybrids a goodidea but their purchase costs are rather high

The elephant in the room is the three years HP @£200 /month that you still have. Is there a clause for early termination? You normally have to pay half of the ammount owed to be able to do this. 

As you are doing low mileages then avoid a future diesel and whilst you are driving your current one take it for a regular long run to keep the DPF happy.

If you don't have a huge amount of money to put dowm - I'd suggest PCH as there are some stonking deals. PCH is like hiring a car but for two , three or more years. A friend of mine does this and ends up handing back just before a service, new tyres etc...  (currently has a new Audi A4 for about £200/month - 8000 miles/year)

Simpsons Skoda has some interesting PCH deals on the new Karoq

http://www.simpsonsskoda.co.uk/pch-offers/karoq-se-tech/

"This offer is available on 'Personal Contract Hire' with only a £2490 initial rental and then 23 rental payments. Mileage allowance on this example is 8000 per annum.

SKODA Karoq 1.0TSI 115PS SE Technology - £109 per month inc VAT"

Including the initial outlay this comes to an verage about £208 / month

Don't base the decision on just fuel ecomony - on your mileage it'd take decades to make up the difference in cost

[EDIT] Ling cars have an interesting 3+23 PCH deal as well - be warned of the very bright web page!! ( A work colleague is on his second contract with them now)

https://www.lingscars.com/personal-car-leasing/skoda/karoq/2690735-1.0-Tsi-(115bhp)-SE-Technology-2WD-Station-Wagon-5dr-999cc

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

You could take the Qashqai for a motorway run once a week just to let it regenerate the dpf, that buys you some time.

You say you still owe money on HP.

You could look at Voluntary Termination once you've paid half the total amount payable.

This isn't a scam way out, but written into HP and PCP agreements...check your documents and with the lender.

http://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/car-finance-voluntary-termination-pcp-hp/

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cootuk said:

You could take the Qashqai for a motorway run once a week just to let it regenerate the dpf, that buys you some time.

You say you still owe money on HP.

You could look at Voluntary Termination once you've paid half the total amount payable.

This isn't a scam way out, but written into HP and PCP agreements...check your documents and with the lender.

http://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/car-finance-voluntary-termination-pcp-hp/

Yeah, I looked at this last night but am concerned about the finance company deliberately putting a missed payment or something on my credit files out of spite...I wouldn't put it past them...:o

10 hours ago, bigjohn said:

Hybrids a goodidea but their purchase costs are rather high

The elephant in the room is the three years HP @£200 /month that you still have. Is there a clause for early termination? You normally have to pay half of the ammount owed to be able to do this. 

As you are doing low mileages then avoid a future diesel and whilst you are driving your current one take it for a regular long run to keep the DPF happy.

If you don't have a huge amount of money to put dowm - I'd suggest PCH as there are some stonking deals. PCH is like hiring a car but for two , three or more years. A friend of mine does this and ends up handing back just before a service, new tyres etc...  (currently has a new Audi A4 for about £200/month - 8000 miles/year)

Simpsons Skoda has some interesting PCH deals on the new Karoq

http://www.simpsonsskoda.co.uk/pch-offers/karoq-se-tech/

"This offer is available on 'Personal Contract Hire' with only a £2490 initial rental and then 23 rental payments. Mileage allowance on this example is 8000 per annum.

SKODA Karoq 1.0TSI 115PS SE Technology - £109 per month inc VAT"

Including the initial outlay this comes to an verage about £208 / month

Don't base the decision on just fuel ecomony - on your mileage it'd take decades to make up the difference in cost

[EDIT] Ling cars have an interesting 3+23 PCH deal as well - be warned of the very bright web page!! ( A work colleague is on his second contract with them now)

https://www.lingscars.com/personal-car-leasing/skoda/karoq/2690735-1.0-Tsi-(115bhp)-SE-Technology-2WD-Station-Wagon-5dr-999cc

That is some fantastic information there.

When I get to my diggs (I work away a lot) tonight I will go through everything you have suggested and attempt to put a plan together...

Cheers pal...B)