VRS TDI in Limp Mode

last week car started to misfire eventually got to the point where it wouldn't hold speed, 

Glow plug light flashing and in neutral car wouldnt rev beyond 2k.

The only two engine codes thrown were low boost pressure and low fuel pressure. (lots of other codes thrown for other modules, eg gearbox had multiple codes for "stuck in x gear" )

Anyone else have this happen?

car is currently with dealers for them to investigate

I regularly give the car an exercise through the rev range, have a obd dongle and the torque app on my phone which I monitor exhaust temps, and when i see it doing a re-gen I drive until it is finished.

My regular drive to and from work is 50k each way with a 25km stretch at 110km/hr.

Dealer has called and suspect a bad batch of fuel.

6 hours ago, Gadget007 said:

have a obd dongle and the torque app on my phone which I monitor exhaust temps, and when i see it doing a re-gen I drive until it is finished.

I'm using DPF VAG Android app to monitor the soot, regens, etc. But honestly leaving the dongle inserted is a bit scary for me. Mainly not to break it with legs.

What do you monitor w/ Torque app? How do you catch regens w/ it? Is it the free or paid one?

Hope your get get fixed soon. Yes, it can be a bad fuel..

If it was really "bad fuel" which is difficult to believe these days, there should be many people who filled from the same station with similar problems.

If confirmed ask the dealer to put it in writing so that you can give the report to the petrol station.

They should investigate if there was a problem & at least log it in case further drivers come in with issues & perhaps if they can confirm a faulty/contaminated fuel batch they will compensate you for the repairs.

Asking for it in writing also makes the dealer think twice against pulling a fast once to make some money from you as obviously repairs due to "bad fuel" are not covered under warrenty.

Ttodorof, to catch the regen I monitor the exhaust temp. At idle temp is just under 200c, cruising 350c , regens around 700c

i have a low profile Bluetooth dongle (cheap elm327 clone off eBay) and using the paid version of torque.currently working on using a raspberry Pi to gather various sensor data and display on infotainment unit (once I. Find the right interface to allow inserting another video signal)

Gabbo, definitely intend to get it in writing, made a point of requesting that when they fill up with fuel that they log the odometer reading as I have every receipt for every fill up ( which I do and at the moment the drivers door is full of receipts)

• Thanks 1

My mates 4wd toyota got abad batch in the Northern Territories and as Gabbo said many others were affected. His repairs were paid for by his insurance and he got compensation from the fuel supplier for 'ruined' holiday. He was quite happy with what he received but did not say how much but must have been substantial (?).

Got the car back, all they said is it had the following codes p008700 & p029900  and as a result there was a TPI for this fault which they followed and the car is all good, only charged for the fuel they added. No detail on what the TPI involved except that it stood for technical product information

on checking the engine in neutral revs to 2500 in neutral which it wasn't doing before

Edited by Gadget007

P0087 is for "low fuel pressure"

P0299 mean "underboost condition"

so the same errors you mentioned from the beginning.....

So in the end "bad fuel" was just BS waffle waffle from the dealer like usual & there was actually a known issue behind....

Would be interesting to know the TPI number of what they actually changed (software/calibration update or faulty component....)

Ah, yeah you are right, I had assumed the OPs car was a recent one but looking at the sig its a MY15 which would put it right in the window for the TDI boost pressure connector problem.

If this is the case Gadget then it is a well known issue with a robust fix.

I had mine done quite recently after I bought it...

I've dont around 70k km since the repair with no further issues.

The boost pressure sensor was replaced at 5000km, in saying that, that fix stopped the car from cutting out.

as far as they would tell me they in effect dismantled the fuel system to look for foreign matter of which none was found

they took a sample of the fuel and said it was clear (no water / solids)

I guess we'll just see how it goes

When the boost pressure issue was first developing I think the original fix was just to replace with a new sensor.

There were several people who had 2 or 3 sensors replaced with the same problem.

Afterwards it seems they modified the wiring or loom fixing in some way which was actually addressing the real problem.

I guess without the TPI reference it would be difficult to know for sure what they've actually done...