2013 1.2TSI turbo fault

CWH

18 months ago, when my car was still just in warranty, I took it to get serviced at an independent garage and was advised to get the turbo actuator looked at as it was making a lot of noise when revved. I took it to the dealership and had them look at it under warranty. They reported that this wasn't a fault. I've got the service invoice to prove this.

Fast forward a year and a half and I turn on the car to get two fault lights (EPC and exhaust system) and the car in limp mode. Breakdown repair bloke can't fix it but the error code he's getting is to do with the turbo. It appears that the actuator (or something turbo related) has stopped moving.
Some googling indicates that people with this problem have ended up having to completely replace the turbo - in the region of £2k. The car is not in warranty.

The dealership is going to look at the car this week and I want to be prepared for whatever argument I might need to have with them. The car has only done 45k miles and has a full documented service history. If they want to charge me big bucks to fix this, do I have any recourse? As far as I'm concerned, a well looked after car should not need a new turbo at that mileage, especially since the dealership looked at it 18 months ago and reported that all was well.

Any advice on what options I might have would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to hear about this, but, as 18 months has passed since Skoda has been given a chance to fix it if it was broken during the warranty period, and they considered it was okay, I'd expect that a company with as little regard for honesty and the health of your wallet as VW Group is, will not help you out at all - but nothing to lose if you try to get some help with sorting this problem.

I think that these earlier versions of the 1.2TSI engine did end up suffering turbo issues in what we tend to consider "early life" - that worries me as my wife has a later version of the 1.2TSI but like most people I just could not avoid ending up getting a small car with a small turbo charged engine, the way things have been going wrt emissions it seems that was the logical way for car engines to go!

Good Luck, push hard!

I followed the comment from rum4mo with interest... I assume you mean that VW will say that at the initial inspection, it was ok and as a year and a half has passed without further problem, its now fair wear and tear, if faulty.

I would think this likely, no matter WHAT dealer/brand vehicle you had... If it was reported a multitude of times then, yes, they may still be liable but if it went, drove, boosted etc for a year and a half (Lets not try and belittle it by saying 18 months) Then that is actually half the manufactures warranty! After all, its not a Kia!

• 3 months later...
On 11/12/2017 at 13:23, CWH said:

Fault diagnosed and fixed at a dealership for £310. Not as bad as I was fearing.

The new actuator still rattles, but with an altogether "cleaner" noise.

How is your car holdng up?

I have same age car with the same engine, they fitted a new actuator, but fault persists, now needs a new turbo at £1600

On 24/03/2018 at 08:06, was8v said:

How is your car holdng up?

I have same age car with the same engine, they fitted a new actuator, but fault persists, now needs a new turbo at £1600

No further problems, but what you say is a bit worrying! 

3 hours ago, CWH said:

No further problems, but what you say is a bit worrying! 

Yes.... before shelling out I thought I would do some due diligence.

This is a 2013 variant EA211 series engine with belt driven cam, CJZA engine code 1.2TSI 105hp 38k miles. Actually fitted in a Golf, but this is a far better technical forum than I've found elsewhere....and this engine is in Fabias and Octavias in the same tune.

So the car went to VW to be diagnosed, engine light and down on power. They decided the wastegate actuator needed to be replaced, VW contributed the parts as there is a TSB on this part. Car was no different. Took it back and they said it needed a turbo, but there was no contribution volunteered from VW.

I was suspect.... there was no whining noises from the turbo, no oil consumption no evidence there was anything wrong with the turbo apart from "P334b Charge pressure actuator mechanical malfunction" being logged. I rather felt the turbo itself was fine.

Now at low revs driving the wastegate is open, only when you boot it to join the motorway is the wastegate closed and exhaust directed through the turbo.

My wife usually drives this car, and very sedately.... So I rather suspected the wastgate actuating arm was seized or sticky as perhaps we are not asking it to move often.

I loosened the actuator mounting bolts and tried to move the arm that the wastgate actuator moves by hand - no chance. You should be able to move this freely, it was stuck solid, bit of plus gas and it was still stuck. Did the VW garage even check this?!!!?!

So I removed the heatsheild from the top, undid the catalytic converter mounts, released the v band clamp holding the cat onto the turbo and moved it away.

Now we can see the wastegate itself, just a little flap. Liberal dousing in plus gas and some mole grips to add a little gentle persuasion.

fuBI4a7.jpg

Is this is the world's smallest turbo charger? :D

NEq9Xsb.jpg

Not sure what those white crumbs are....

Wastegate now moves freely. Crucially with the actuator done back up you can move this by hand too - so could be a quick check for anyone following this thread.

I gave the car a good drive with plenty of hard acceleration and the turbo is working perfectly.  Who know how long before it seizes again though.

A new turbo is £550 + £40 fitting kit (seals and nuts) from Mahle, for some reason there is a special price on these.....I wonder if the actuator pivot is engineered differently? They do have a revised part number. I wonder if I am the victim of a design fault - they should know how to make a wastegate by now.....

Now to replace the cam belt that I never knew I had (was told all 1.2TSI were chain cam when I bought it....), needs doing at 5 years.

Edited by was8v

More and more becoming a common failure and expense for those with no warranty, 

as VW Group / Skoda well know.

Not just something that is un-fortunate, another Fundamental Design, Manufacturing, Material or Quality Control failing that VW Group would like to pretend is nothing of the sort.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/438468-1st-reliability-issue-in-my-skoda-yeti-actuator-fail-here-we-go-again 

As my wife runs a CJZD engined 2015 Polo, I’ve saved this info from @was8v for the future, while hoping VW Group sorted this out on later cars! Oh, and I still believe in Santa Clause, and I’m sure that will help?

Well it lasted a couple of days. 

Seized again.

This time i freed it off without removing the cat pipe, just removed the heat shield, sprayed some plus gas on the pivot and moved it with a small adjustable spanner. was stuck but as soon as it was moved it was free.

I think VW should be replacing the part for free as its a design fault. I bought the car used from a dealer under Das Welt "as good as new", now its 22 months since. and out of warranty.

However I have no leverage as it was diagnosed at a different dealer to purchase..... this dealer is offering 50% contribution (£800), as I'm "such a valued customer".

I never spent a penny with this franchise beyond diagnosis fee and the new actuator, how can I be a valued customer to the tune of £800? I think the contribution must be coming from VW but they don't want to admit that there is a problem with these turbos.

Edited by was8v

Now that VED tax bands due not unduly penalise larger engines, other than the first year emissions premium and then £140 thereafter the incentive for manufactures to ditch turbos is there. I would prefer a 1600cc naturally aspirated engine without the complication of a turbo. I drive like Miss Daisy so I don't need to rag it around.

I was told all 8 valve tsi engines were chain. I have the 86bhp engine so perhaps the 106bhp is belt. I know my brother-in-laws 16 valve 1.2tsi, 106bhp Yeti (65 reg) is belt as the engine design is different.

Edited by edbostan

You can get a 1.6 Petrol N/A engine car from Suzuki.

There will be different petrol engines late this year & next year in new vehicles when they are tested under the new Testing.

Enough of the current EU tested implausible / irregular Co2 g/km results allowing these ridiculous VED bands. 

The new real world can give totally unreal ones as well as they will still not be what a car with every seat filled with a person and the boot full as well.

10 hours ago, edbostan said:

Now that VED tax bands due not unduly penalise larger engines, other than the first year emissions premium and then £140 thereafter the incentive for manufactures to ditch turbos is there. I would prefer a 1600cc naturally aspirated engine without the complication of a turbo. I drive like Miss Daisy so I don't need to rag it around.

I was told all 8 valve tsi engines were chain. I have the 86bhp engine so perhaps the 106bhp is belt. I know my brother-in-laws 16 valve 1.2tsi, 106bhp Yeti (65 reg) is belt as the engine design is different.

I tend to agree with that sentiment though it will be emissions that have brought us to this point engine type wise!

You are right about all 8V 1.2TSI being chain driven, I think initially, @was8v was only posting into this thread as he has having a turbo problem with a 1.2TSI though his 16V engine type is different and more like the later belt driven ones.

Chain driven ones have the turbo located at the front of the engine bay, belt driven ones have the turbo located at the rear of the engine bay.

Edit:- and also, I think, when you read this thread's title, if you transpose that across to VW Golf, you would probably find that VW were fitting this belt driven version into Golfs at that time, while Skoda/VW/SEAT were fitting the chain driven version into their Fabia/Polo/Ibiza at that time, so that will be where the confusion is coming from, though for me with a 2015 Polo 1.2TSI, it is good information!

Edited by rum4mo

Early 1.2 TSI Euro 5, then later various issues possible, then Euro 6 and still issues, and engines discontinued, move on nothing to see now the 1.0TSI is here, better, cheaper to produce,  supposedly, but then that is not the reason why introduced.,

Vorsprung Durch Technik. 

Advance through technology and if you balls up just drop that and build something else without sorting out the previous penny pinching faults, 

bring them on  to the latest greatest thing. People have short memories.  Warranty Expired, tough t!tty on the owner.

Edited by AwaoffSki