Xenon Bulb Upgrade

Coming from full LED headlights to the S3's xenon, I'm not overly impressed with the light range and distribution of the OEM bulbs.    I've been toying with the idea of replacing them for quite some time and a bleak drive on some rural roads last week convinced me to finally do it.  (I also would like all-season tyres too, but that's another thread).

I'm currently thinking either Osram Xenarc Nightbreaker Unlimited or Osram Xenarc Cool Blue Intense.  Now on paper the NBU's should be better than the CBI but from all the side by side videos and pictures I've seen the CBI seem to provide a better distribution, crisper and brighter light.  Though I'm not sure this is just because of how the light is presented in a picture/video and then rendered on screen.   There's a few BMW forums where owners have tried both and stuck with the CBI though I can't help feeling that's due to aesthetics rather than outright performance. 

The CBI do have a higher Kelvin rating so will give more blue-white light but the NBU are still going to offer a nice white/day light beam.   I'm not in the market for a 'look at me I have a nice blue lights' bulb.  Nor do I want them for 'styling' purposes.  I don't even care if the light doesn't match the DRL's (I know, shocking!).  I just want a more light, pointing where I need it and something that will last as long as OEM bulbs. 

Philips offer the Xenon WhiteVision gen 2's but the cost (almost double either Osram) and suspect longevity has put me off them. 

Any feedback or other recommendations appreciated.  Thanks in advance! 

I've made the opposite move from 'standard' bulbs in my old Chevrolet Orlando, to the Xenon's in the S3, so I'm very impressed with them!!!!

However, will be very interested to see which option you choose, and the results..... you can never have enough light :D

I confess my ignorance here, but isn't the beam pattern/scatter (and to a degree, intensity) of xenons dictated by the shutter in the headlight rather than the bulb per se? I always find the Superb beams plenty bright, but the distribution/scatter leaves a lot to be desired at times, especially on unlit country roads. I only have standard (non-adaptive) xeons which may be a factor. Main beam helps, but obviously not when there's one travelling towards... 

13 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

I confess my ignorance here, but isn't the beam pattern/scatter (and to a degree, intensity) of xenons dictated by the shutter in the headlight rather than the bulb per se? I always find the Superb beams plenty bright, but the distribution/scatter leaves a lot to be desired at times, especially on unlit country roads. I only have standard (non-adaptive) xeons which may be a factor. Main beam helps, but obviously not when there's one travelling towards... 

Yes, I agree.  That's why I'm asking on this forum specifically rather than in one of the other general ones as the lens/shutters on the S3 will dictate how those bulbs perform.  I'm really hoping for some real world feedback from a fellow S3 driver :biggrin:

I have Nightbreaker Unlimited on my SII.

Actually you don`t need the bulb upgrade, you need to adjust the headlight angles. All Skodas suffer from extremely short low beam, about 35 meters only long rather than  ca 100 meters as supposed to be.

I had it done at local dealers and visibility is perfect now. It was the second step. First I got bulbs changed for 400 euros (needs first bumper removal) and that didn`t help at all.

Is the change in color really giving "more light"? All xenons bulbs have a identical luminous flux of 3200 lumens (I've checked xenarc original, NBU and CBI, and the philips xtreme vision) so you're paying hundreds of euros just for a different color?

You'd think that but look at side-by-side comparisons of those lights and you'll see that it's not the case.  Look at a comparison of a high-end Philips or Osram bulb with a much cheaper one from eBay that has 4500 Lumens and 6000K; the beam pattern will be awful and quality/longevity is another consideration too. 

Do the Sportline headlights come with AFS?

AFS constantly alters the headlight beam pattern based on road speed and if the windscreen wipers are operating.

I always found the Superb headlights very good, maybe the headlights just need correct alignment.

3 hours ago, penguin17 said:

You'd think that but look at side-by-side comparisons of those lights and you'll see that it's not the case.  Look at a comparison of a high-end Philips or Osram bulb with a much cheaper one from eBay that has 4500 Lumens and 6000K; the beam pattern will be awful and quality/longevity is another consideration too.

Is it? All the videos I've seen are just amateur stuff filmed with mobile phone (inconsistent focus, inconsistent white balance, inconsistent exposure - stuff that completely changes appearance).

7 hours ago, ionelmc said:

Is it? All the videos I've seen are just amateur stuff filmed with mobile phone (inconsistent focus, inconsistent white balance, inconsistent exposure - stuff that completely changes appearance).

I can confirm, upgraded xenons provide more light over the OEM xenons.

Which is pretty logical, otherwise nobody would buy them.

People buy them because marketing. It looks different, it's more expensive so it must be better. Boggles my mind why people don't see this is a fallacy.

Nevermind that there's no actual proof that it's anything more than just looking different - like people throw money at useless things like s-line or m-sport trims, same deal with lightbulbs.

Can you really prove it or you're simply biased (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choice-supportive_bias)?

One of the tenets of marketing is making products with incomparable characteristics - so then people can't really compare and then they can only value the product based on it's price and amount of advertisements. Fake things basically.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ionelmc said:

People buy them because marketing. It looks different, it's more expensive so it must be better. Boggles my mind why people don't see this is a fallacy.

Once again, I still do believe in my eyes 

Before the angle adjustment and bulb upgrade I hardly could see the drivers side ditch, which was pretty dangerous as you cannot see is there rabbit, fox or even moose sitting there, waiting to hit me :)

After bulb upgrade the beam was still short, but I could see what is going on in ditch in front of me.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, ionelmc said:

Are you sure whoever changed your bulbs didn't also realign them? :)

1 hour ago, linni said:

I am very sure about this.

Right there?  :))))

Lets just stop with NBU/CBI "giving more light" bull**** alright? They all emit the same amount - around 3200 lm.

9 hours ago, ionelmc said:

Are you sure whoever changed your bulbs didn't also realign them? :)

Jeeesus, you totally lack the functional readaing ability.

Yes, I am absolutely sure that first the mechanics did the bulb change and some months later the electrician did the alignment.

8 hours ago, ionelmc said:

Lets just stop with NBU/CBI "giving more light" bull**** alright? They all emit the same amount - around 3200 lm.

Light flux is not the only parameter to measure intensity of the light source.

From Osram website:

- Up tp 70% more light

Yes, of course, bad capitalists are just messing with our heads hoping nobody will measure it and nobody will take a court case to rip off some big bucks.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, ionelmc said:

Nevermind that there's no actual proof that it's anything more than just looking different - like people throw money at useless things like s-line or m-sport trims, same deal with lightbulbs.

Can you really prove it or you're simply biased (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choice-supportive_bias)?

One of the tenets of marketing is making products with incomparable characteristics - so then people can't really compare and then they can only value the product based on it's price and amount of advertisements. Fake things basically.

Are you going out of your way to sound very obtuse and contrary for the sake of it? 

I suppose you also buy the cheapest tyre you can too, because all those tests that motoring magazines, safety bodies and other similar organisations conduct are bias in stating the more expensive tyres from manufactures that have a better R&D budget aren't really that good after all.  It's the clever marketing that stops the car 10 metres sooner, or some great TV advertising that reduces aquaplaning.  Erm...ok...

Similar to the bulbs I've spent quite a bit of time researching online now; various respected magazines across Europe as well as road safety organisations have set up some pretty in depth lab and field tests on various bulbs and it turns out that the high end bulbs from Osram and Philips tend to do the best, consistently, year on year.   

I suppose that you think the high wattage, much cheaper halogen lights are superior to the comparably low wattage LED matrix headlights that VAG have been using over the last few years? 

Thanks for bringing absolutely nothing to this post, I was trying to get some real world advice and comparisons from other members but instead you just hijack (yet another) post because other peoples requirements and fancies don't quite mirror your own.   You seem to be pretty angry with the world in general, do you need a hug? 

Edited by penguin17
typo and very poor grammar
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Ok, the cheap tire argument is a strawman. I'll pretend you didn't went that low... 

I'd rather see what magazines and test you're thinking about than a hug. Links would be nice. 

And about being obtuse and hijacking, I suppose this is a discussion forum, and not some buyer's club where you get a pat on your back every time you throw your money away? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1