Just wondering.........

Today was the first time that I realised ACC isn't as clever as I think it should be. I have some issues with it at the best of times but today I used it in the rain and realised that it makes no adjustment to "safe distance" when it's raining. I would have thought if the wipers are on continuous for more than, say, 30/60secs then it would automatically adjust the "safe distance"...maybe + 20% or equivalent of "2sec rule" plus 50% say.. Everyone seems to accept stopping distance increases with wet/damp conditions so I wondered why nothing is built in to cater for this. Any thoughts??

It's only a tool, you still have to be judicious about its use. It can't see the cars in front of the one in front of you, it doesn't account for weather, it can't see brake lights, it's sometimes slow to react to changing circumstances. At the end of the day it's only the driver who is responsible for driver the car, not any of the driving aids.

Today I engaged it in stop-start traffic. I thought I'd left enough space in front of me when I did so, but the car decided to violently brake, nearly causing the chap behind (who was a bit too close, admittedly) to rear-end me. If it had caused a crash I doubt I'd get very far trying to claim it was that the ACC wot caused it. I won't be making that mistake again!

4 hours ago, superskoda2 said:

Today was the first time that I realised ACC isn't as clever as I think it should be.

it is just that - adaptive.

it will adjust speed relative to a moving vehicle in front, based on radar, and that's it.

its not smart cruise control to factor in weather or road conditions.  as mentoned above - u make the judgement end of the day what "assist" systems u activate/engage.

A wise owl advised me never to use cruise control of any kind in the rain in case of unpredictable occurrences.  After an aquaplaning experience many years ago from which fortunately I emerged unscathed, I have followed that advice.  Just a thought.

• Like 2

Exactly.

Cars might have Safety or Technical Features but drivers are responsible for driving safely and 'With due care and attention', safe stopping distances etc.

Drivers appear in courts not vehicles & not usually Car Manufacturers or Engineers, but that has changed as one gets 7 years jail time.

'Maybe trust your driving and not some Engineer / Software engineer - Designer that is not in the car with you'.

Edited by AwaoffSki

3 hours ago, Lol6 said:

A wise owl advised me never to use cruise control of any kind in the rain in case of unpredictable occurrences.  After an aquaplaning experience many years ago from which fortunately I emerged unscathed, I have followed that advice.  Just a thought.

This!  It's the responsibility of the driver to ensure driving style is adapted to road, traffic and weather conditions.  I'm all for advancements in technology but I always see ACC in the same vein as other options and extra's; they are aid's which make our lives that little bit easier, they are not there to replace common sense or experience.  

14 hours ago, juux said:

It can't see the cars in front of the one in front of you,

In fact it can, tarmac reflects radar signals well so they can pass underneath the first car and reflect upwards off the road to hit the second car even if you can't see it yourself.

5 hours ago, Lol6 said:

A wise owl advised me never to use cruise control of any kind in the rain in case of unpredictable occurrences.  

Avoiding cruise control in adverse conditions is good advice, but only to maintain alertness.  If the driven wheels spin due to aquaplaning, then cruise control will adjust throttle to maintain them at the set speed - exactly the right thing to do in the circumstances.

1 minute ago, D402 said:

In fact it can, tarmac reflects radar signals well so they can pass underneath the first car and reflect upwards off the road to hit the second car even if you can't see it yourself.

Yes, that may happen, but the VW/Skoda system lacks the required sensor coverage, situational awareness, processing power, and logic/decision making to be able to reliably assess that information and do the right thing with it, every time.

Hell, even a gentle curve confuses it. I will not be relying on reflected radar ;)

Premium Models from Manufacturers like Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Jaguar Land Rover, Bentley, Porsche etc seem to have Tail Gate Mode operating on all vehicles that come right up my jacksy.

At least their Auto Wipers on Head Lights and Windscreen seem to work OK as i wash my screen, 

and that is all i can really check as brake testing the Software would be childish & dangerous, a bit like tailgating.

2 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

Premium Models from Manufacturers like Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Jaguar Land Rover, Bentley, Porsche etc seem to have Tail Gate Mode operating on all vehicles that come right up my jacksy.

At least their Auto Wipers on Head Lights and Windscreen seem to work OK as i wash my screen, 

and that is all i can really check as brake testing the Software would be childish & dangerous, a bit like tailgating.

They have a single convenience button that disables the indicators, reduces the acc distance and puts their high beams on.

I think I read in Sniff-petrol that it's called "Bell-EndTronic mode"

Edited by dg360

On ‎08‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 14:07, Lol6 said:

is this with all cruise controls or just ACC?  The incident happened a long time ago, way before ACC was in common usage.

Yes, cruise control work by comparing the measured vehicle speed to the set speed and controlling the throttle accordingly, ACC adds the ability to control the distance to the car in front and actuate the brakes.

On ‎08‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 13:09, juux said:

I will not be relying on reflected radar ;)

All radar works by detecting directly or indirectly reflected signals so you'd better turn off front-assist and not use ACC at all :sadsmile: