which are best replacement H7 Bulbs for Skoda Octavia ?

I replaced the stock bulbs with Philips 12972XV+S2 X-tremeVision Car Headlight Bulb, H7 12V, 55W Halogen

but I dont think they are anywhere near as bright at night.

What is generally the better replacement bulbs I can get? Do I also need to replace the other bulbs at same time? 

Thanks

There’s another thread just further down which is asking similar.

Best H7 bulbs you can buy are PIAA Xtreme White Plus, but they’re expensive at about £65 a pair, however worth it as the difference is very noticeable.

I've also used Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited which are good, however only lasted about 9 months.

The PIAA’s will give you both performance and longevity - you get what you pay for at the end of the day. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, bstginger said:

Thanks. I noticed that when I turn on dipped headlights the daylight running bulb goes very dark.  Kinda looks wrong at nighttime

They are supposed to do that. DRLs are actually quite luminiscent (hence their use even during the daytime setting where they are meant to replace the dipped beams while using less energy). DRLs do not have a focused beam, like the normal dipped beam, so during the night they would simply dazzle other drivers (I at least find that when other drivers neglect to turn on their lights at dusk). That is why when you turn on dipped beam or even the position lights the DRLs reduce their intensity; oncoming drivers' retinas will thank you for it. If however you wish to change their behaviour there must a VCDS tweak somewhere to cover that.

• Thanks 1

High performance halogen replacement bulbs like that are regular filament bulbs that (among other optimisations) are filled with xenon gas. That’s different to what you would usually refer to as Xenons / HIDs like the Bi-Xenons available in the pre facelift which use a high voltage spark rather than a filament. 

Edited by uchuff

But, H7 are 12V halogen filled filament bulbs. The Xenon filled bulbs are high voltage gas discharge types with a different type designation. 

From my school chemistry, the halogen gas is needed to recycle any evaporated filament back to itself. 

17 minutes ago, gregoir said:

But, H7 are 12V halogen filled filament bulbs. The Xenon filled bulbs are high voltage gas discharge types with a different type designation. 

From my school chemistry, the halogen gas is needed to recycle any evaporated filament back to itself. 

You can get Xenon filled filament bulbs as well as Xenon HID (High Intensity Discharge) bulbs.

Xenon filled filament bulbs are a direct replacement for halogen filled filament bulbs.

2 hours ago, gregoir said:

I think the gas is purely to stop the filament burning out, because they are inert gases it allows an electrical filament to burn at very high temperatures without melting and therefore blowing the bulb. The better the gas, the brighter the bulb will be allowed to burn, hence being able to produce a 55w bulb that emits 120% more light etc.

I've not yet come across descriptions of xenon filled filament bulbs. Can anyone provide a link to their merits over halogen bulbs?

I note that the usual Osram and Philips upgrade H7 bulbs are xenon effect but still seem to be halogen filled. There are indeed brands I've not heard of that sre xenon filled.

Edited by gregoir

2 hours ago, gregoir said:

I've not yet come across descriptions of xenon filled filament bulbs. Can anyone provide a link to their merits over halogen bulbs?

I note that the usual Osram and Philips upgrade H7 bulbs are xenon effect but still seem to be halogen filled. There are indeed brands I've not heard of that sre xenon filled.

The difference is essentially the gas they are filled with, and obviously the overall quality of the filament and glass.

A “normal” halogen bulb will usually be filled with Argon or Krypton gas (both of which are inert / noble gases). Xenon gas will generally allow a higher temperature and provide better properties to stop the bulb filement melting, hence being able to provide more light output at the same wattage rating. 

But argon and krypton and xenon are not halogens. Inert gas filament bulbs are old -hat pre halogen bulbs.  Bromine,  fluorine, chlorine, astatine from memory are the reactive halogens which recycle the filament. Cibie developed them to be brighter than the old filament bulbs because they could run at higher temperatures.

My point is that the big brands still use halogen filling.

I've ordered the others recommended.  Due to arrive tomorrow so will install and update the thread what they are like.  But I was very disappointed with the Philips. They were much dimmer than the stock bulbs

49 minutes ago, gregoir said:

But argon and krypton and xenon are not halogens. Inert gas filament bulbs are old -hat pre halogen bulbs.  Bromine,  fluorine, chlorine, astatine from memory are the reactive halogens which recycle the filament. Cibie developed them to be brighter than the old filament bulbs because they could run at higher temperatures.

Xenon filament bulbs use the same basic technology and gases as halogen bulbs, but have a coating that acts as a colour filter to make the colour temperature of the light they generate higher - but at the cost of slightly reduced light output.

The higher colour temperature is a better match for HID bulbs, it's this higher colour temperature that people buy them for - as it can e.g. make fog lights better match HID headlights.

1 hour ago, gregoir said:

Correct - known as the halogen cycle. 

Yes, strictly all bulbs will use the halogen cycle as it’s what makes them work - but try explaining that to 99% of consumers won’t have a clue or care, so a lot of it is marketing and factually inaccurate.

The whole Xenon piece is used to make people associate it with HID lights, where as we know it’s still an incandescent bulb. The fact remains though, on these “Xenon” bulbs, Xenon is the noble gas used inside. They will also have a better quality filament / glass as previously mentioned. 

As SWboy has mentioned, some of the cheaply made “Xenon effect” bulbs will simply have a blue coating applied to the glass, whereas the more expensive ones are in some cases (not all as some have clear glass still) made with a slight blue tint in the glass itself and not a coating, which is to bring the colour temp to around 4100k (around the closest to natural daylight.

At the end of the day, all most people will care about is that they’re better and brighter haha.

Edited by GoneToBeemer

Ok, thanks for agreeing that the halogens are always there in filament bulbs. Along with xenon in some cases. So I can dismiss the occasional 100% xenon filled filament bulbs as hokum.

B)

• Like 1

On 12/12/2017 at 11:36, fergiet said:

I bought these last year, older version I think. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016OQPNUA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seem good, no issues. Big improvement over the OEM.

Completely agree with this.  Fitted tonight - much brighter and can see a lot further.  Thanks for the recommendation