Skoda L&K 280 Estate 1 week review

Sw1

Hi All,

As some of you will know, I took delivery of a lovely shiny L&K 280 white estate.

I previously had an Audi a6 Avant Black Line Ultra 190 S-tronic diesel (silly long title I know), I gave it back in April as I decided there were a few things I didn't like about it. As we also had two small children with prams and also sorts of stuff we ordered a Skoda Kodiaq Edition 190 diesel fully specced as a family car.

I was then driving my wives Kia sportage as I was mainly home based for work, as we have two big dogs this wasn't suitable plus it was a big step back from the Audi.

Looked at an Rs4 but it was too small and there is a good chance someone will try to nick it, Golf R estate was nice but looked a bit wrong and underspecced. Then I noticed there was a Superb with the Golf R engine and 4x4 that I could fit my dogs in...

Done some looking and realised I could get a massive discount through a broker so decided to order the Superb, I previously had a 190 Superb Elegance 4x4 190 diesel (2011) so I have prior experience of Superbs.

Anyway, on to the present

• The 280 petrol engine is an absolute gem and I cannot remember the last time I enjoyed driving a car, my last petrol was a MK V Golf GTi in 2005. This speed when I put the peddle down is absolutely awesome. Having direct experience of the 190 diesels in the Kodiaq and Audi a6 the difference is night and day, the DSG lag is non existent compared to what I had on the Kodiaq in both D and S modes. The engine pull and noise is lovely, I haven't been so excited to drive a car for a while and love the noise it makes when I floor it.
  • Externally I love the understated look in moon white with the nice 19" anthracite alloys.
  • Internally it's a really nice bit of kit, I would say the Kodiaq is slightly higher quality inside, The Audi A6 was obviously slightly better but it's little things you don't notice such as leather down near your legs. The LED ambient lighting and screen on the Superb is fantastic. The gear knob in the Kodiaq feels thicker and better quality as does the A6.
  • I used Android Auto in the Kodiaq and it works just as well in the Superb, the SatNav has a built SIM unlike the Kodiaq where it is an option. This removes the hassle of having to put my mobile as a hotspot if I wanted to use online traffic.
  • Ride is also really good, smoother then the Audi (that was on 20" wheels though) and less crashy then the Kodiaq.
  • Heated windscreen is really really good, only downer is you are then sat that waiting for the rest of the car to defrost, heated steering wheel has been very good (I'm now convinced the one in my Audi never actually worked)..

Overall I'm massively happy with this car, it's definintely not a downgrade from the Audi. I feel an element of smugness that I have one of the best value money cars on the road that stands out from the sea of Audi's and BMW's on the road without any real compromises. List price on the spec was 40k... I paid 32.5k making it a great buy in my book, for me this will be the last fossil fuel car until a suitable electric family fun car is on the market,

Seeing people shocked when they get out accelerated by a Skoda.....

If your on the fence... Try one out, I didn't think I could drive a massive estate that was still fun to drive without having to pay Rs4/Rs6 prices...

• Like 3

Your car does look very nice and it sounds like you're enjoying it.  :biggrin:  Funnily enough my last petrol was a 56 Plate Octavia vRS and even with (by todays standards a measly) 197BHP the engine was just lovely, smooth and power from low revs to the red line. 

I wish I went for the 280 Sportline.  It's a gem of an engine and having real exhausts must be a treat. 

I've gone from doing 25K miles per year (out of my own pocket) to probably less than 15K miles now and when I do travel for work I get mileage allowance.  I'm going to speak to dealer next week to see how expensive it will be to get out of my current deal and find me near enough the same spec/colour but with the 280 under the bonnet (oh and some real exhausts, those are a must next time!)

Long may you continue to enjoy your new car.  I'm off to buy some wine, I'm feeling sorry for myself and now have fuel/BHP envy.  

32 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Your car does look very nice and it sounds like you're enjoying it.  :biggrin:  Funnily enough my last petrol was a 56 Plate Octavia vRS and even with (by todays standards a measly) 197BHP the engine was just lovely, smooth and power from low revs to the red line. 

I wish I went for the 280 Sportline.  It's a gem of an engine and having real exhausts must be a treat. 

I've gone from doing 25K miles per year (out of my own pocket) to probably less than 15K miles now and when I do travel for work I get mileage allowance.  I'm going to speak to dealer next week to see how expensive it will be to get out of my current deal and find me near enough the same spec/colour but with the 280 under the bonnet (oh and some real exhausts, those are a must next time!)

Long may you continue to enjoy your new car.  I'm off to buy some wine, I'm feeling sorry for myself and now have fuel/BHP envy.  

The 280 is a fantastic engine. You are right to be envious!

Just a small note on setting your mobile as a hotspot. This doesn't need to be a hassle at all. I use an Android app called Tasker. I've got it set up so that when it detects that my phone has connected to the car via bluetooth, it automatically connects the hotspot as well and when it detects I've left the car i.e. bluetooth disconnected then it turns it off again. So set it up once and forget about it. 

Edited by STREE

16 hours ago, penguin17 said:

Thanks the exhaust our really nice and the engine tone is fantastic, the 190 diesels are greate engines. It's just nice to have a change after all these years of driving them. I will probably say the same when I get a car with an electric car once they solve the range issues.

@nicknorman Good tip, I do use tasker but I mainly used to use it for battery saving task, I already spare GiffGaff sim kicking around form the Audi. I'm using a Pixel XL 2 which integrates really nice in the Skoda.

@Whenwillilearn Fully agree, I wouldn't pay list price for it.. saying that I can't remember when I last paid list price for any car, the Superb will probably drop like a bomb due to the engine, my aim was to keep this for a number of years before changing to Electric... so I though I may aswell buy something to enjoy for a change.

I was suprised at how much the A6 dropped in 3 years. Over 50%, people just don't want large estate cars anymore.

Agreed though i personally think estates and certain large saloons are stylish they are less in demand to mr and mr average who desire more fashionable SUV type cars. A reason why estates etc dont hold much value. Same included with my superb.

Whilst the petrol superbs are a rare breed due to the fact the market will be swamped with grey business edition type superb diesels prices wont ever be good. 

It sounds nice on paper a £40k car (list price) but in reality only someone of questionable sanity would part with anywhere near that kind of money for a Skoda.

Agreed, 40k would have been steep but at the price I paid I think it's a good price, second hand people will grab a bargain in 2 years on these.

Still, I remember back in 2011 when I got my first Skoda, a superb estate elegance 4×4 170bhp estate..  that was 24k fully specced.

This is before everyone realised how good Skodas were.

11 hours ago, Whenwillilearn said:

Curious as the superb is still the flagship car but to some SUVs are the luxury vehicle. What's your thoughts?

What makes you say the Superb is the flagship car?.

The highest price 'standard' Superb L&K estate is from £31,685, the highest price 'standard' Kodiaq Sportline is from £32,685 - depends what you base it on but I would have thought the Kodiaq is the flagship Skoda now.

I think Skoda themselves still refer to the Superb in their marketing material as the flagship, which could be the source. Agree that on the pricing front the Kodiaq would take the (dubious) honour. Maybe it's about semantics and we're in an era of 'flagship cars' and 'flagship SUVs'? 

Dunno.

1 hour ago, cnc said:

The highest price 'standard' Superb L&K estate is from £31,685, the highest price 'standard' Kodiaq Sportline is from £32,685 - depends what you base it on but I would have thought the Kodiaq is the flagship Skoda now.

These are both very good comments, I think I'm well placed to answer based on my experience , we own both the top end spec Kodiaq and Superb.

We ordered the Kodiaq in January before it was released, it was a bit of a gamble but the prereviews and previous Skoda experience led me to believe it would be a winner. Having owned since May I can say it is the perfect family car in the spec we have, it has everything you could want in a car and handles well for a SUV type vehicle. 

We looked at lots of SUV type things including Audi Q5's, Toureg - Too small and underwhelming, the Kodiaq is massive and can get all the double prams and rubbish in with ease. It also lends itself nice to an auto. On top of that it is very good value for money in you compare it comparable size vehicles such as a Q7 (plusher inside I know but with a high price difference).

I personally prefer my Superb as I prefer normal cars without a jacked up ride height, the boot is easier for the dogs to get in without straining legs and jumping up etc. Spec wise they are very similar but I feel the Kodiaq is slighty better quality ranging from the Gear stick, storage holes and bits. It's tiny things which are probably due to a newer design. My Superb has a newer entertainment system.

Generally it comes down to what you want.. I can't get a Kodiaq with a 280 bhp engine. As we are lucky to afford both we haven't had to compromise... .if I had to only choose one as a family car the Kodiaq would probably slight edge it (by a tiny amount)

1 hour ago, cnc said:

The skoda uk website refers to the superb as the flagship model.

Of course the kodiaq prices will be pushed up. The vehicle is in the fashion segment of the motor trade. Skoda are merely capitalising on this.

As commented earlier, SUVs are on trend. Not that i think the kodiaq looks particularly appealing.

Had my 280 L&K for 5 weeks and I'm delighted with it. Put a Racechip XLX throttle tuner on it and set it to 'Race' - goes like a rocket! No real complaints. I tend to use my old Mercedes CLS500 as a yardstick when comparing the Superb. The only areas that are noticeably inferior are ride quality and noise. Not a lot and not enough to bother me. I have DCC in sport mode and it can happily deal with anything I can throw at it. Noise wise, I bought a NK Group soundproofing kit because they were doing a Black Friday deal! I'll be fitting some of the easier bits over Xmas and it'll be interesting to see if there's any difference. Normally, I wouldn't bother, but the Superb is so damn good, it's worth a go, just to try and make it perfect! In all other respects it's great. To get a CLS at anything like the same spec would have cost me double.

13 hours ago, YTT said:

Had my 280 L&K for 5 weeks and I'm delighted with it. Put a Racechip XLX throttle tuner on it and set it to 'Race' - goes like a rocket! No real complaints. I tend to use my old Mercedes CLS500 as a yardstick when comparing the Superb. The only areas that are noticeably inferior are ride quality and noise. Not a lot and not enough to bother me. I have DCC in sport mode and it can happily deal with anything I can throw at it. Noise wise, I bought a NK Group soundproofing kit because they were doing a Black Friday deal! I'll be fitting some of the easier bits over Xmas and it'll be interesting to see if there's any difference. Normally, I wouldn't bother, but the Superb is so damn good, it's worth a go, just to try and make it perfect! In all other respects it's great. To get a CLS at anything like the same spec would have cost me double.

I do wonder if that will help any how. So far the only sound proofing issues I've felt with Superb were doors. I buy quiet tires (for winter i have BF Goodrich G-Force Winter 235/45/R18 - http://www.gumax.si/index.php/default/bfgoodrich-g-force-winter-2-235-45r18-98v-xl.html) so I only have issue with wind noise around doors. Every thing else is very quiet even at 220km/h (190HP Diesel). I find my diesel very quiet as some say that they're loud. Any how. I very much wonder if this kit will give any noise reduction =) for the price if it does difference I'd get it for sure. But got to get rid of wind noise in doors first =/. 

I'm sorry for going off topic here ^^.

27 minutes ago, JackySi said:

I do wonder if that will help any how. So far the only sound proofing issues I've felt with Superb were doors. I buy quiet tires (for winter i have BF Goodrich G-Force Winter 235/45/R18 - http://www.gumax.si/index.php/default/bfgoodrich-g-force-winter-2-235-45r18-98v-xl.html) so I only have issue with wind noise around doors. Every thing else is very quiet even at 220km/h (190HP Diesel). I find my diesel very quiet as some say that they're loud. Any how. I very much wonder if this kit will give any noise reduction =) for the price if it does difference I'd get it for sure. But got to get rid of wind noise in doors first =/. 

I'm sorry for going off topic here ^^.

I agree. I think the tyres are the main culprit and I'll be changing to quieter ones when the time comes. Noise does seem to come from the doors, but I won't be sound-proofing them, too difficult. But I'll do the easy bits - bonnet, boot etc. I'm not expecting great results, but worth a try at the price. I don't think noise in general is excessive, just higher than my old CLS.

15 hours ago, YTT said:

Interesting does the Racechip XLX impact warranty? I'm still genuinely loving the speed when input my foot down, surprised a few BMers and Audi's ...

I'm not flooring it everywhere , mainly when coming off slip roads on the motor way and needing to change lane etc.. driving on the motorway it returns a very respectable MPG considering the engine.

My biggest surprise is how smooth the petrol engine is having driven diesels for so many years

2 hours ago, YTT said:

I agree. I think the tyres are the main culprit and I'll be changing to quieter ones when the time comes. Noise does seem to come from the doors, but I won't be sound-proofing them, too difficult. But I'll do the easy bits - bonnet, boot etc. I'm not expecting great results, but worth a try at the price. I don't think noise in general is excessive, just higher than my old CLS.

Tyres.... yes change them however the core reason is the UK roads which use stone chippings which cause the tyre noise...  I found my car so much quiter to drive across central Europe compared to the worn UK road surfaces..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sw1 said:

Interesting does the Racechip XLX impact warranty? I'm still genuinely loving the speed when input my foot down, surprised a few BMers and Audi's ...

I'm not flooring it everywhere , mainly when coming off slip roads on the motor way and needing to change lane etc.. driving on the motorway it returns a very respectable MPG considering the engine.

My biggest surprise is how smooth the petrol engine is having driven diesels for so many years

Just checked the RaceChip website, won't be modifying until outside of warranty.

Effect on warranty claims and other guarantees

By installing a RaceChip, you lose as a customer the right to warranty claims on your engine vis-à-vis the guarantor for your car. 

The installation of a RaceChip can adversely affect your warranty claims vis-à-vis the vehicle seller with respect to the modified vehicle.

Nevertheless, by purchasing a RS, GTS or GTS Black, an engine guarantee from RaceChip is already included free of charge (2 years for the GTS or GTS Black, 1 year for the RS). RaceChip is vendor of the highest quality and you are always on the safe side with us.

17 minutes ago, Sw1 said:

Just checked the RaceChip website, won't be modifying until outside of warranty.

By installing a RaceChip, you lose as a customer the right to warranty claims on your engine vis-à-vis the guarantor for your car. 

The installation of a RaceChip can adversely affect your warranty claims vis-à-vis the vehicle seller with respect to the modified vehicle.

Nevertheless, by purchasing a RS, GTS or GTS Black, an engine guarantee from RaceChip is already included free of charge (2 years for the GTS or GTS Black, 1 year for the RS). RaceChip is vendor of the highest quality and you are always on the safe side with us.

The throttle response does not affect the engine in anyway however and does not leave any indication of it ever being installed. The engine tuning chips are totally a different thing..

3 hours ago, Sw1 said:

This relates to Racechip boxes that add power and torque. The Racechip XLR does neither, it just changes the throttle response. There are quite a few posts on Briskoda about the effect on warranty / insurance, if you want to have a sniff about.