central locking fault ?

helmut

Hi, central locking clicks on and off intermittent when driving,interior light stays on and no open door display on dash, this morning battery (good condition) was flat and had to jump start car and heavy spark to earth when connecting lead to block so current definitely being drawn,battery was so flat remote fob would not work and had to recode radio. good points electric drivers seat controls now working but reverse tilting door mirrors not. also have airbag light on and have been told obd reader says passenger door sensor related,any help would be greatly received regards paul.

Assuming your battery is OK, and the wires from the A pillar into the door are OK, one likely culprit is the convenience control module which is under the passenger floor carpet.  Water leaks into the car by either the door window regulator plate or the pollen filter mount and stays under the carpet forever. 

It's hard to find forum info with photos still in tact these days, but here are a some:

http://nackuk.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/with-some-of-interior-lights-puddle.html

https://headfuzz.co.uk/vw_ccm

Other possibility is the door lock module. It has two or three microswitches that fail.  New units are something like £20 on ebay. This kind of thing... (this one is for the drivers side)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-Mk4-PASSAT-Mk5-FRONT-RIGHT-DRIVER-SIDE-CENTRAL-DOOR-LOCK-97-06-8-PIN/171395732742?fits=Car+Make%3AVW|Model%3APassat&epid=1488582189&hash=item27e7fb5506:g:pEMAAOSwuq9ZaJ17     

I can hardly believe it' so cheap, including postage! 

Here are some links...

http://nackuk.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/repair-skoda-superb-window.html

http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5/drivers_door_lock_replacement/

Edited by Tdi1.9

Thank you very much for this information,as soon as I can I will lift carpets and have a look (over Christmas) the car has done very little mileage for age but these are age related issues not usage so makes sense also explains severe misting overnight on inside of glass,thanks once again will keep you posted.

Yes, the water leak problems need fixing in all these cars.  The wiring bundles under the left front and left rear carpets contain some cables crimped together and they end up green with corrosion.  They need to be cut and re connected, preferably soldered. The computer module plugs might also need to be cleaned up too.

It takes a long time to dry out the sponge under the carpet, but it needs to be done.  If you have to take the seats out, don't switch the ignition on while the air bags are disconnected.  It's best to disconnect the battery about half an hour before you unplug the yellow air bag connectors to avoid warning light issues.

You tube  "passat door leaks"  "passat pollen filter"  etc. will give some examples of the leakage problems.

The cars are OK once you've got to grips with the engineered-in problems.

Hi thanks, spent last two days,removed pollen filter housing and cleaned resealed with Loctite rtv mastic, removed the skirt from bottom of windscreen to gain access to the awkward nut, very difficult to refit skirt and think it will let water between screen and thin seal so will aply a thin bead of clear mastic when weather dries out. If water gets through there it will drop onto pollen filter so a must..cleaned out floor mopped up water,soldered 10 wire clusters (nodes) and capped with shrink tubing. plug terminals and convenience control unit pins were a bit corroded (grey) not green yet. cleaned up put ccu in bowl of rice for 16 hours, refitted all and interior lights did not work,nor puddle lights, but all of a sudden came on today,so suspect a s/h ccu needed and plugs if available. also radio would not recode ? do you or anybody on forum know exactly what the ccu manages,regards paul, central locking seems ok at the mo so definitely in the right area, just disturbing it has altered faults around. thanks once again.

• Like 1

Hi again, car was good yesterday radio code ok, still no tilting door mirrors when selecting reverse though. went out today and while driving heavy clunk from door locks and courtesy lights came on, when I get out of car and lock with remote they go off, but the chime worked when I opened drivers door as it should for the first ever time, but has now stopped chiming.  when the courtesy lights come on and the locks clunk no doors are shown open on dashboard. does the convenience module control this ?.Happy Christmas paul.

The plastic trim at the bottom of the windscreen is about £20 from dealers, part No. 3B2 819 451E I think. Until it's replaced you can protect the pollen filter intake by rigging up a plastic sheet cover to protect the filter opening but still allow airflow around the sides. The trim is a commonly used part because it breaks so easily.  Best to thoroughly clear out the channel it fits in to with an old toothbrush, then use a silicone spray for lubrication and warm the new plastic trim before fitting so it isn't quite so brittle. 

The car not recognising the radio and asking for a code suggests an issue with the canbus wiring....the tightly twisted pair of wires you will have seen in the big wiring bundle under the carpet.  The use a very low current so it might be worth trying to clean up the ccu plugs with contact cleaner to see if that helps, and check that there are no dodgy connections in the canbus wiring. The car handbook/service manuals, if they are still with the car, might have the 4 digit radio code written on it.

There are many coloured plastic plugs and sockets behind the A pillar side trim in the pasenger footwell. Water can sometimes get to them and corrode the contacts.  Unplug each one to check, and use contact cleaner to try to prevent future problems.

The CCU does deal with the central locking, interior and door puddle lights and no doubt other stuff that I can't think of at the moment. As far as I know they are quite robust unless they have been flooded.

On the bright side, it does seem that the various functions are beginning to work, even though it's intermittently at the moment.

• Like 1

Thanks tdi 1.9 radio working ok now but battery flat this morning, was alright last two days left unlocked but locked on fob last night and flat overnight  also yesterday locking clunking when driving any speed and interior lights come on ....only go off when locked on fob,but then battery drains...will order s/h ccu and try again ?.

I've not known a ccu to fail, the wiring connections and plugs are the usual points where corrosion degrades the contacts. I don't think the water actually gets inside the ccu, but it could be worth a try to replace it if you can find another with the same part number. 

Some people reposition the unit in the passenger footwell, above the passenger's feet, behind the glovebox.  The wiring is long enough and it is less likely to get wet there, as well as being a bit easier to access it.

Hi thanks again, I ordered a ccu second hand £50 delivered same part number,lifted carpets again today ready to fit when it arrives. still moisture so decided to dry out a bit more,removed drivers seat and lifted carpet and it was even wetter that side than the passenger side was. looked inside plastic box and checked contacts on large metal ecu  and all contacts dry and ok. Now have fan heater and dehumidifier running inside and will leave it to dry totally out.

do you know if there are any wiring clusters on drivers side loom as I could not see any  ?.

when battery was disconnected overnight I put meter across battery earth terminal and earth lead and 2.8 amps discharge,removed radio fuse and dropped to 380 ma .which is still a bit of a draw. just hope its down to the damp and poss ccu not shutting down properely,

Will not do any more until carpets and loom dry, Would really like to get it sorted as car is in good condition with only 35k on clock, reckon seller knew about this as probably previously dried out passenger side carpet and not drivers side still have a bit of leeway as only paid 1500 for car, just getting earache from girlfriend, why do they always kick you when you are down eh, regards paul

Drivers side leaks usually come from the ECU seal in the plenum chamber , similar to the pollen filter, from the bonnet opening cable where it passes through the bukhead above the driver's pedals, and from the window mechanism plates behind the door trim, as shown here... a hose pipe will help to check for leaks from between the door trim and the metal door itself.

Though I'm sure you could make a neater job of it than that in the clip.  A tube of silicone, or whatever your favourite sealer is would do the job.

I don't remember there being any wiring of significance under the driver's carpet unless you have an automatic, in which case there is an ECU rather like  the CCU on the passenger side.

The current load is going to be a question of pulling likely fuses, looking for boot light, puddle lights, etc.  Is there an extra amplifier in the boot or under a seat?

The car might  not shut everything down as soon as it is switched off/locked.  Try checking after a few minutes, but of course opening the bonnet might cause some of the system to wake up again.

22 hours ago, Tdi1.9 said:

Drivers side leaks usually come from the ECU seal in the plenum chamber , similar to the pollen filter, from the bonnet opening cable where it passes through the bukhead above the driver's pedals, and from the window mechanism plates behind the door trim, as shown here... a hose pipe will help to check for leaks from between the door trim and the metal door itself.

Though I'm sure you could make a neater job of it than that in the clip.  A tube of silicone, or whatever your favourite sealer is would do the job.

I don't remember there being any wiring of significance under the driver's carpet unless you have an automatic, in which case there is an ECU rather like  the CCU on the passenger side.

The current load is going to be a question of pulling likely fuses, looking for boot light, puddle lights, etc.  Is there an extra amplifier in the boot or under a seat?

The car might  not shut everything down as soon as it is switched off/locked.  Try checking after a few minutes, but of course opening the bonnet might cause some of the system to wake up again.

Hi, what does this video actually show ??? Confused ???

I've recently changed my drivers door window mechanism (big metal thingbob, proper technical me) lol. I didn't seal it up with anything, guess I need to ??

On the outside of the window around the metal to the door ?? 

Thanks

It's meant to show the additional sealant rather messily applied to the join between the door pressing and the large metal plate that carries the window mechanism.  The factory seals the joint with a mastic strip under the perimeter of the window mechanism plate.  You are right, I didn't choose a very good clip, but there are many more on youtube.

The  mastic strip often fails to re-seal properly when it has been disturbed, so it's advised to either replace the mastic strip, available from a dealer, or to seal the joint with a silicone type sealer, or a bitumen sealer as has been rather messily appied in the video clip.

Have a look at this water ingress thread... there are quite a few leakage points that will need to be fixed the  sooner the better.

Also www.ukpassats.co.uk has a lot of useful info in the Passat B5.5 section.

HI,just a quick update am still drying out carpets and loom,weather is holding me back though, while I have access under carpets are there any other modules I need to look at, I have found comfort module, and auto trans ecu, is there a central lock module hidden any where, just want to check connections if there is,thanks paul .

One last question,could an out of date alarm unit be draining battery , what I mean is does it recharge itself from the main car battery? thank you and a happy new year paul .

1.  The CCU cable bundle under the front seat also goes under the rear passenger side carpet and has some node connections in it which are likely corroded.  Did you fix them when you tackled the CCU?

2. The batteries in the alarm unit (near the brake servo) are rechargeables and are meant to keep the alarm going even if the main battery is disconnected.  I suspect they have nearly all failed after so many years, but I don't think they would be causing any significant battery discharge.  You could unplug the alarm siren unit to check on that.

Thanks ,I repaired 6 node connections under passenger seat area,and a further 4 along the rear footwell passengers side up to the rear seat, I couldn,t see any more , fuse box and relays all nice and dry,fingers crossed for weekend,has rained all day today and carpets still up. checked when got home and all nice and dry still, if no drain when back together have new yuasa 096 battery to fit. Old battery is 3 years old but pretty good on drop test, but if I end up getting auto electrician to fix car if all this fails at least he cant blame the battery.

Hi just put car back together and all lights etc working,will have a proper test tomorrow,i have replaced the ccm with a s/h one that has the same part number. but key fobs are not operating central locking,is there a quick way to synch these regards paul.