1.8 tsi whining sound

Hi all!

I have recently bought an Octavia 3 facelift 1.8 tsi brand new, with manual gearbox. The car has only a few hundred kilometers in it. 

From the first day i noticed a strange whining sound while accelerating. The sound is rpm dependant. I hear it in neutral, and also in gears. According to the dealer, this is "normal", but i don't know...

Anyone has any idea, what this sound is?

I made a video of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VRHt-CHoPE

Thanks in advance, guys!

Welcome.

Good that you raised it at the dealership, hopefully logged on the system now.

Have you read the Owners Manual on Driving in a new car.

New Tyres, Brakes tight etc. 

?

Have you checked the tyre pressures, set them, re-set the TPMS? 

Worth putting some km on the car, getting the newness off it, bearings, brakes etc run in a bit, listen, see how things are, 

and if worrying noises have a Master Tech check it not a salesperson.

Sounds like mine, or at least I don't notice anything particular about it in the clip. Could you be more specific as to what the noise is? I found the sound recording from the video posted below to be very accurate; is yours any different?

6 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

Welcome.

Good that you raised it at the dealership, hopefully logged on the system now.

Have you read the Owners Manual on Driving in a new car.

New Tyres, Brakes tight etc. 

?

Have you checked the tyre pressures, set them, re-set the TPMS? 

Worth putting some km on the car, getting the newness off it, bearings, brakes etc run in a bit, listen, see how things are, 

and if worrying noises have a Master Tech check it not a salesperson.

I didn't read the manual, only  a few pages. :)

I checked tyre pressure, reset TPMS, etc.

Actually, the guy who told me it's normal, was a mechanic at the dealership, not a salesman.

I'm still not sure, because my friend's Superb does not sound like that. Although the superb has the cjsc engine, while the octavia has the cjsa, so there must be some difference between the engines.

Maybe this explains it, but i don't know...

Paulsoava,

I think in the posted video the whistle you hear is purely of the turbocharger, especially at higher revs. Aside from that, only a healthy "growl" can be heard from the engine.

At the same time, the noise from my engine is heard all the time (except at idle), not only while accelerating, but also at constant speeds and engine braking.

The noise of my engine is a bit sharper and louder, even "outperforms" the growl of the engine. I think it's more noticable with headphones.   

12 hours ago, gripx2 said:

Although the superb has the cjsc engine, while the octavia has the cjsa, so there must be some difference between the engines.

The Superb also has a lot more sound deadening, the Octavia petrols don't have any on the underside of the bonnet - when I added that (from the diesels) to my 1.4TSI the turbo whine has become inaudible from inside the car.

12 hours ago, gripx2 said:

Paulsoava,

I think in the posted video the whistle you hear is purely of the turbocharger, especially at higher revs. Aside from that, only a healthy "growl" can be heard from the engine.

At the same time, the noise from my engine is heard all the time (except at idle), not only while accelerating, but also at constant speeds and engine braking.

The noise of my engine is a bit sharper and louder, even "outperforms" the growl of the engine. I think it's more noticable with headphones.   

Indeed, using headphones I could hear it. Mine doesn't sound like that, but I can't figure out where that comes from. Or if it is anything to worry about. I hope you sort it out; Merry Christmas!