XENON Lights on a 58 plate superb

KeiranS

Hey Guys,

I woke up today and noticed that my passenger side bulb was tinted pink and the drivers side bulb was perfect, as usual. 

I visited Halfrauds and they say that it’s most likely the bulb - the same synopsis came from Google. Anyway, long story short, he’s quoted £120 for a new bulb and £30 for an hours labour.

Is this an appropriate price? Anyone know a cheaper way around this?

B82C369F-E4FA-45C4-9EF8-4AFAB29FC05B.jpeg

I'd agree, it is often advisable to replace bulbs in pairs. Xenon bulbs last a lot longer than regular halogen bulbs but are significantly more expensive.

The pink tinge or hue is a clear sign of a failing xenon bulb.

Their replacement is a very easy DIY, the reason Skoda advise that they are replaced by professionals is the high voltages used in the ignitor pack that sits directly behind the bulb.

As long as you are careful and apply a bit of common sense you will be fine tackling this yourself.

You need D1S type xenon bulbs for your MkII pre-facelift Superb. I'd also stay as close to OEM specifications as you can i.e. 35W & 4,300K.

£120 is too expensive. Quality bulbs closely matching genuine items are available from the likes of Osram and Philips and can be bought online for half that, but beware there are a lot of fake / counterfeit products out there. Always buy from a reputable supplier such as these guys...

https://www.hids-direct.co.uk/categories/oem/oem-by-part/xenon-bulbs-oem-only

More general information here...

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 2

https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/osram-xenarc-cool-blue-intense-d1s-twin

I replaced my factory fit bulbs after a few years with Osram Cool Blue - which aren't blue at all but have very good light output). Powerbulbs have a 25% code making these around £82 for a pair. Should be fairly straightforward to fit - took me about 5 mins a side on my Octavia.

Wow! Honestly gents, that was probably some of the best advice I’ve ever been given. I’m going to show my father this - he says I’m stupid to replace the pair at such high coating... either way, I’m replacing the pair! 

I agree, they should get fitted by a professional; I’m pretty clumsy at the best of times! 

Ive found two DS1’s on euro car parts that I have taken a liking to. Which would you personally choose? The discounts are phenomenal!

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Skoda_Superb_2.0_2009/p/car-parts/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/lighting1/car-bulb/?48177043C&1&6ea2ec4a3986676ccb5c84acaf851ce5857be459&000384

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Skoda_Superb_2.0_2009/p/car-parts/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/lighting1/car-bulb/?48177043V&1&23f1edea2733d9e7439e6749e1825c29b117bb5c&000384

Cheers for your help 

• Like 1

You can't really go wrong with either, both brands have a good reputation.

If you want to stay as close to what you have today I'd go for the Philips.

Your current OEM bulbs are around 4,300K.

The Philips are closest at 4,800K, the Osram's maybe a little 'too blue' for my liking at 5,500K.

If using eurocarparts be sure to use the 'SALE50' discount code at checkout for another £1.34 off...

Capture.thumb.JPG.a5f75b874ff8d3f66f4bb31e7511c070.JPG

Edited by silver1011

Fab! That’s absolutely cracking advice - as a non-motor head, I do appreciate all of your advice. 

I would like  them to be brighter as usual. The bulbs are the same as when they arrived in 2009, would like something a little brighter. Hopefully the Phillips will offer that 

4 hours ago, KeiranS said:

I would like  them to be brighter as usual. The bulbs are the same as when they arrived in 2009, would like something a little brighter. Hopefully the Phillips will offer that

Sorry Keiran, don't get your hopes up...

I'd be happy its not costing £150 a side, simply because you're doing it yourself.

Have fun spending money and saving money at the same time!

...and bathe in the glory!

Also go to a MOT station and get them both set to the correct height as mine were  pointing very low and the difference was astounding when set to the correct level....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

After waiting nearly a month for Euro car parts to dispatch my bulbs, I got the Osram Cool intense blue Xenon bulbs (they’re not in any way blue) RRP £185.99 each. Discounted to £50.99 each. Yes, great price but waiting 21 days was a pain! Cheers for your help guys.

252F2370-6C28-4916-8472-3738A711D799.jpeg

• Like 1