new car

George1468

Indeed. Puzzling.

Personally, I will wait until the early June 2018 build week when the 2019 model with updates (glitches fixed, better spec., and hopefully at least a hybrid version) is available.

Often ordered because they are ordering something that is being rented for 2 or 3 years and not like buying a keeper that might have plenty snagging faults.

ie an over £30,000 Kodiaq.

At least with the Karoq you get an idea by driving an Ateca that Skoda have been buiding on the lines for long enough now.

In my case "pre-ordering" a Karoq came down to the following:-

*My family wants a second car.

*I already own an Octavia III, so know the positives and negatives of Skoda ownership.

*I really like the Octavia and Kodiaq, but wanted something  a little smaller (but still practical).

*I read / watched all of the press and video reviews.

*PRICE ON PCH WAS TOO CHEAP TO RESIST.

The price really decided it for me. I didn't actually want another Skoda, but nothing else comes close for the price. I was originally looking at a basic Fiesta or Focus on PCH, but getting a higher-spec, bigger-engine, DSG and more practicality for the same price made my mind up.

Of course, I am only leasing the car so not putting anywhere near £20k down.

Its like buying new house/flat off plan, why do we do it? well, depends on circumstances, availability and price.

For us:

Circumstances; we needed larger second car (ford fiesta upgrade), had to be new, petrol, automatic and SUV - this is very popular cocktail at the moment and due to diesel popularity in recent years there very limited choice of such reasonably priced near-new SUVs

Availability: i went to Seat first, and was told in November 2016 that my new Ateca will arrive in May 2018 (insane), Skoda promised 3-4 months (reasonable)

Price: when compared to other likes, Karoq offered best 'value for money' in terms quality, practicality and features

Ordered ours 6 days after the order book opened. Specifically wanted a 2.0 TDI so wanted it before the first registration fee goes up in April and after launch weekend, delivery dates are bound to go way out. If you've driven a Yeti and a Kodiak, then I suspect you've pretty well driven a Karoq.  As far as teething problems are concerned, I had more problems with the current Yeti when it was 9 months old than ever I did with the previous one and they've been around for 8 years. I have much faith in Skoda, and with our local garage. As Vadimo says, they have been building the Ateca for Seat since it was introduced so any teething problems should be well sorted by now, and we looked at the Ateca but decided you got much more for your money with the Karoq. Due to collect our car during the launch weekend so I'll soon know if my faith in Skoda is justified. There's also been lots of posts re the digital dash as well, but I'm 68, been driving for 51 years and have to say that to date, digital anything hasn't really rocked my boat. I can remember the days when you rang people up before you left or after you arrived. Certainly didn't need to be able to charge your phone without plugging it in.

I'm 64 now and bought my TT 3 years ago. I specifically bought one of the last Mk. 2s because I didn't want the digital dash of the Mk. 3.

I like tech. up to a point and the digital dash will probably be great but I just prefer the look of the traditional instruments.

Will reserve judgement as regards the Karoq but will probably stick with the traditional look as the screen will do everything I want of it. 

22 minutes ago, Bowdie said:

Ordered ours 6 days after the order book opened. Specifically wanted a 2.0 TDI so wanted it before the first registration fee goes up in April and after launch weekend, delivery dates are bound to go way out. If you've driven a Yeti and a Kodiak, then I suspect you've pretty well driven a Karoq.  As far as teething problems are concerned, I had more problems with the current Yeti when it was 9 months old than ever I did with the previous one and they've been around for 8 years. I have much faith in Skoda, and with our local garage. As Vadimo says, they have been building the Ateca for Seat since it was introduced so any teething problems should be well sorted by now, and we looked at the Ateca but decided you got much more for your money with the Karoq. Due to collect our car during the launch weekend so I'll soon know if my faith in Skoda is justified. There's also been lots of posts re the digital dash as well, but I'm 68, been driving for 51 years and have to say that to date, digital anything hasn't really rocked my boat. I can remember the days when you rang people up before you left or after you arrived. Certainly didn't need to be able to charge your phone without plugging it in.

be sure to leave a review

4 minutes ago, VAGCF said:

Will reserve judgement as regards the Karoq but will probably stick with the traditional look as the screen will do everything I want of it. 

i made same argument case for not having digital cluster, there will be large 9" Columbus touch screen that should compensate for the lack of it, would't mind having it though..

• Thanks 1

Saw one in the showroom today, not interested but very nice seats indeed! Dark grey alcantara with leather bolsters nicely styled, looked comfortable.

Btw I was told (and heard a week or so ago) that there are price rises across all models from tomorrow.

Edited by xman

Some brave people on here, or else they have an excess of wishfulness.

I'm not saying they're buying a 'pig in poke', but reputation is only as good as long as you are looking backwards over your shoulder.

I would want to see how the vehicle gets through its first 6 months or so, I'm thinking of 'snagging' problems in particular, before I splash out ~£30K of my hard earned, tax paid £s. I too am in the market probably for a Karoq, so maybe I should be pleased to see all you brave people rush in where I fear to tread, for the moment. 

Good Luck

M

It's not like they've never built a car before!

They've also been building the Kodiaq (essentially a 7-seater Karoq) and the Ateca for Seat. Snagging issues aside, I think you're overreacting on the worry front.

Edited by del-gti

There are advantages to owning a newly-released car. You'll be one of the  only people to have one for several months and residual values will remain very high (cheaper PCH and PCP).

The downsides could be reliability (although the mechanicals are well-priven in other models), and spare parts (body panels and model specific items) will be scarce. However, that is what warranties and courtesy cars are for.

All models suffer common faults, even 3 or 4 years after release. 

Skoda have had long enough time for R&D to get this right. 

They need to be quick on responding to 'Owners reports of snagging faults if there are any', 

get those Dealership Employees logging any and reporting them, and the factory / parts producers on the ball.

Odd thing is other models interior delays or the Skoda excuse that Interiors are causing delays and then they turn out another model.

'Black Hole ordering on other models'.

think most of us will never know of any snagging issues in first year or two, too soon, average buyer is not gonna be here on forum moaning that they had to take their car for a warranty work. This is SUV not sports car, buy it , drive it and forget it.

@ktm690rr I don't think you are achieving much by waiting 6 months other than able to test drive car and have an option for digital cluster.

For me it been Skoda, european reviews and test drive of Kodiaq was good enough 

'Snagging faults' are those that early adopters report early, like withing 6 months / 6,500 miles and Skoda / VW should pay attention to in Right Hand drivers as those 'European Road Test / Reviews' are so often on Continental European Roads with the steering wheel in another position.

'Simply clever stuff',  listen to those that are paying money to buy / lease not just those on a Fee to write articles and be flown to nice resorts to drive something 

VW Group Media teams hand over to them.

Buying the first of a new model is always going to be open to teething problems.

In 2004 I bought a VW Touran, proven Technology on a VW Golf platform.

In the first 18 months of ownership it needed:-

• clutch
  • dual mass flywheel
  • various sensors
  • ecu
  • radio
  • headlamp
  • drivers seat height adjustment mechanism
  • interior door trim

It performed well until about 9yrs old when it went through another dual mass flywheel, this one having lasted about 48K.

Colin

11 hours ago, del-gti said:

It's not like they've never built a car before!

They've also been building the Kodiaq (essentially a 7-seater Karoq) and the Ateca for Seat. Snagging issues aside, I think you're overreacting on the worry front.

I understand where you are coming from, I am speaking from experience gained over 5 consecutive Skodas and am naturally wary. Anyway the model I am awaiting info on is the 180/190 bhp engine due possibly mid year, so I may have to be patient until the end of 2018 !

Anyway Good Luck.

• Like 1