Chris' 2011 Jaguar XJ L Portfolio

Chris

13 hours ago, Toxicvrs said:

If it cheers you up at all, offside inlet manifold on a tdv6 is made of chocolate, seriously common for doing it. Would’ve been on the to do list in due course IMO if you hadn’t already had it done like you have, delightful job...

Is the driver's side manifold better or do I need to plan for that too? 

It's great to finally be able to drive it. Only issue I've found so far is that it takes up 2 parking spaces in most places haha! 

That and parts. I've lost a lock cover on the passenger door. It's only a bit of plastic but the part is like £36 and then it has to be colour coded for another £35 odd! Urgh!! 

Other than that I love it!!

• 1 month later...

Lovely motor. Glad you've got the early niggles sorted as well!

On 18/01/2018 at 13:21, david2vRS said:

What year is it and what mileage you sitting on?

105k-ish, Jan 2011 60-plate.

20180301_082702.thumb.jpg.ff70a19f60bbd196052516d533744e0f.jpgNow up to just over 109k. 

It needs a bloody good service. It seems a bit rough and the gearbox seems rough too. Gear changes when pressing on are slow and jerky. :( No doubt a lot of £££ to fix.

Drove to Disneyland Paris and back without issue, although the digital speedometer pod did switch off for about 30 seconds at one point but has been fine since. 

It's a great car, I love it but it does need some love to bring it back up to scratch. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Jobs to complete:-

- Passenger side sill is loose, seems bent inwards at the bottom. Probably been knocked so need to get it looked at
- Replace passenger door lock plastic cover. Ordered a replacement but has a black round bit on the back so it doesn't fit! 
- Rear drivers side door lock button doesn't work, investigate and fix. 
- Cambelt, oil and filter change.
- Seat filters change

Projects to complete:-

- Exhaust, I'd like a little bit more drama. Nothing wild as it's a diesel but feel it could sound a tiny bit more mean.
- Remap, just think it needs to be done.
- Full detail. The paint isn't great so needs a good going over.
- Long term, potentially have it wrapped in pearlescent white.

Had to wash it again yesterday as left it under some trees most nights and the birds had literally caked it in poo. There wasn't a panel that didn't have 10-20 droppings on it. 

On the previous wash I'd coated it in EZ Car Care Gloss Boss and it seemed to make it easier to dry. This time I washed it, rinsed it just as it started raining and to my surprise have got hardly any watermarks anywhere. The beading was surprisingly good too. 

• 3 weeks later...

Getting it booked in for its Cambelt replacement shortly as well as oil, oil filter and fuel filter. Hopefully that will get rid of the "water in fuel" warning that keeps appearing on the dash. 

Also need them to look at the windscreen washer as it is drinking washer fluid. Put in 5l the other day and have used it maybe 3 times and I've got the washer fluid low warning again. Grrrr.

2 hours ago, Chris said:

Getting it booked in for its Cambelt replacement shortly as well as oil, oil filter and fuel filter. Hopefully that will get rid of the "water in fuel" warning that keeps appearing on the dash. 

Also need them to look at the windscreen washer as it is drinking washer fluid. Put in 5l the other day and have used it maybe 3 times and I've got the washer fluid low warning again. Grrrr.

Had a water in fuel warning since you bought it mate?

23 minutes ago, Toxicvrs said:

Ahh not so much if it’s intermittent but used to see a lot of people forgetting to plug them in after service

Yeah it comes and goes. Comes in for a few mins then goes...then comes back then won't come on for 100 miles. 

Just needs a good going over by someone who understands it. I've found a decent independent but it's still £££ at the end of the day. 

• 2 months later...

Small update,

It's had a full service, new fuel filter, oil and filter etc but it's still driving not quite right. Seems to be a lot of lag when pulling away, especially when pulling away at a junction with the wheels pointing sideways (could be me) Also keep getting a smell, possibly diesel in the aircon. I'm starting to suspect maybe I have an injector problem. Also still got the "water in fuel, see manual" error popping up, despite the new filter. Hopefully a faulty sensor. 

I don't have the money to fix it all, especially as I'm not 100% sure what the faults are. 

Other than the above, I love it, it's comfy, fast (when it's running well) and gets looks! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Broken again I think. Smoke coming from under the bonnet and a strong smell occasionally. I suspect an injector leak or an oil leak. Or both. 

Why oh why did I think buying a Jaguar was a good idea!!

• Sad 2